Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 31
12-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EberKain View Post
didn't know people would be so against a little creative writing, which is all it would take to explain what happened to the F...
You should be thankful to find out the correct information, rather than defensive.
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-11-2010, 07:12 PM
I think folks forget that the point of the contest is not to show off how uber you can design a ship. But to design a ship that can BE USED IN GAME.

It simply does not matter one bit how cleaver, large, unique, or inspired your design is. If its unbalanced, overly large, or far to complex to be useful here in this game. It simply wont be used.
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
You should be thankful to find out the correct information, rather than defensive.
Well, I did not know that Universe Class had been used so thanks for that. It sucks too because that was the perfect moniker for this design, but the J is a future ship, so if I want to use the designation in a time period earlier, and then say that the designation was later re-used by the Enterprise J, I dont see how that is really "wrong".

And there are thousands of explanations about why the F was short lived. I thought it would give the writers more leeway in introducing a radical design.

When they created the Voyager series the writers deliberately made a situation that distanced themselves from the establishment of the Alpha Quadrant, they did not want Romulans and Cardassians popping up every episode, they wanted a new world to explore in the writing.

I see my design in that same light, creating a gateway to a whole new galaxy and having an immediate presence there in the form of a carrier type exploration ship would give unlimited story possibilities, new stories for a new, I dont know, how about, user generated content world full of the unknown and uncharted.

The drama is not in the survival of the Enterprise G, but in the stories of the ships that utilize it. There are 12 real starships as a part of the compliment and they cant all be protected at all times, this is an exploration mission after all. I see the Enterprise G arriving in the middle of an unknown galaxy and launching all six Nova's in different directions to simply, 'see whats out there'.

Truth be told I wasn't a fan of the bulbous look of the ship when I was creating it, but it was the only way to make something this large and not have it look brittle, function over form guess. Still, I am not married to the appearance, more the idea, which is why my submission is virtually the only one with text.

Sorry if I seemed defensive, was not my intent.
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnwan View Post
I think folks forget that the point of the contest is not to show off how uber you can design a ship. But to design a ship that can BE USED IN GAME.

It simply does not matter one bit how cleaver, large, unique, or inspired your design is. If its unbalanced, overly large, or far to complex to be useful here in this game. It simply wont be used.
I read the rules, and it says the ship will be implemented in the game. It in no way shape or form says the winning ship will ever be playable.
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Where did I mention playable?

Its not been indicated it will be. But that still dose not absolve it from having to be balanced, or having it scaled to a level that fits well in the game world.

If it shows up in a mission and is so overly powerful. What then becomes your role as a player to do? If its such a powerful ship, why would the mission need you or your ship at all? Mega ships end up making the players role seem small, and that's something that's most often avoided by good game design. Weather its a player ship or not, for that reason, alone ships like this will never be considered viable.

All this is also assuming cryptic even bothers to keep any details on such submissions. They might like a particular layout and shape. But internal details, weapons, power levels, crew ect, will be fully fleshed out by them.
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizaru
Don't drink the blue stuff from the gel packs! I think theres a warning on the baggie about that!
pretty sure there is
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-12-2010, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizaru
True. I forgot that MMORPG means "Many Men Online Role Playing Girls".

About 6 years ago I had a guy ask me out because he thought my female CoX character was teh hawt....and then he didn't believe me when I kept telling him "I'm a dude, man."
This is the internet:

Men are men, women are men and 12 year old girls are FBI agents.

Just keep that in mind.
Lt. Commander
# 38
12-12-2010, 06:38 AM
Ya, i can't see naming a ship of this sort the Enterprise. And as for the design, well i dont' care for it. Like others said, federation vessels are a bit sleeker. That said, i do like the concept. I mean, if i was going to design and build a vessel that was going (potentially one way) to another friggin galaxy, i might go all out like you did. Aside from the exterior and the fact i don't think its the right sort to be an Enterprise, i do actually like the work you put into it. It's quite an inventive concept.
I don't know how you could work a ship like this into the game though.
Lt. Commander
# 39
12-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyias View Post
This is the internet:

Men are men, women are men and 12 year old girls are FBI agents.

Just keep that in mind.
I LOVE IT!! LOL
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-12-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon176 View Post
Ya, i can't see naming a ship of this sort the Enterprise. And as for the design, well i dont' care for it. Like others said, federation vessels are a bit sleeker. That said, i do like the concept. I mean, if i was going to design and build a vessel that was going (potentially one way) to another friggin galaxy, i might go all out like you did. Aside from the exterior and the fact i don't think its the right sort to be an Enterprise, i do actually like the work you put into it. It's quite an inventive concept.
I don't know how you could work a ship like this into the game though.
Thanks for the positive comment.