Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 51
12-12-2010, 12:49 PM
While the OP obviously put a lot of thought and work into his design, it is simply not viable as a Federation starship in the 25th Century. The technology required to create this prototype ship is still centuries -- if not a millenium (or more) -- away. The resources necessary to create this single ship would far outstrip those required to produce an entire armada, and the processes utilized in the design are likely not even a glimmer in the eye of Star Fleet's most brilliant theoretical physicists and shipwrights!

It is simply not the logical next-step in Enterprise production.

It is -- at best -- a raw idea for a starship in the OP's original universe.
Lt. Commander
# 52
12-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
Ah but only women complain.

Everyone on the internet complain.

Ergo everyone here is female.
That isn't what my wife says

Lt. Commander
# 53
12-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizaru
True. I forgot that MMORPG means "Many Men Online Role Playing Girls".

About 6 years ago I had a guy ask me out because he thought my female CoX character was teh hawt....and then he didn't believe me when I kept telling him "I'm a dude, man."
I found the trick is to tell them you will send them a picture of you topless. They open the email expecting boobs, and you show them chest hair :-p

As for the design, quality of presentation aside, it is hideous, and ugly. Not to mention obnoxiously large and unrealistic. How exactly would a hull be grown? Are we talking organic ships now? If so, how does it conform to a set design?

Your presentation and art are good. It is art of an ugly ship though.
Lt. Commander
# 54
12-12-2010, 06:55 PM
I have to agree with the majority of the responses to this thread. If this contest was to design the Noah's arc of Trek then OK I get it.

I did not make a submission nor do I plan to. That being said I think a design needs to consider the state of the story. I personally don't like this fact but the state of the story is that the Federation is facing war on every front, the design of the next Enterprise needs to reflect this. It would be a warship, not an excuse to send trillions of man hours worth of resources across the universe with no chance of getting it back. Think fighter (not starship) carrier, cramped quarters not lush internal scenery, utilitarian not huge and wasteful. Ironically the namesake of the original Enterprise, the Yorktown-class aircraft carrier, is a good paradigm. It may have been one of the largest ships of its time but every inch of that ship was designed for the solitary purpose of triumphing over the enemy. At no point was it "Uber" or even the best at this; in fact in many aspects the US Navy was out classed throughout the war in the Pacific but it got the job done.

I would love a class of ship that was all about discovery and exploration and get back to the grass roots of what Trek was but I just don't see that being effective in an MMO that 90% revolves around combat and generally blowing stuff up.
Lt. Commander
# 55
12-12-2010, 06:58 PM
I applaud the OP for putting so much work, thought, and quality into his work. As to this whole debate as to the ship's viability in the Star Trek universe, I think a lot of these posters criticizing the work need to stop stroking their egos.
Lt. Commander
# 56
12-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Nice work, for work's sake, but it is unpractical. And it has to be IN GAME... you cant expect THAT monster in game. And it doesn't fit the name Enterprise. And it is the F, that would make every ship after it a huge downgrade...And... Why? Make smaller, less flash, and you got your self a nice-ish ship.
Lt. Commander
# 57
12-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizixMan View Post
I applaud the OP for putting so much work, thought, and quality into his work. As to this whole debate as to the ship's viability in the Star Trek universe, I think a lot of these posters criticizing the work need to stop stroking their egos.
How is anyone stroking their ego? Explain.
Lt. Commander
# 58
12-13-2010, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizaru
How is anyone stroking their ego? Explain.
There's nothing for him to explain. You and I both know that he's just running his mouth.

As many people have pointed out the OP's ship is just completely improbable. It's something like a hundred thousand times more massive than the Sovereign ship that's currently in game, it has more weapons than any dozen player ships and, according to the description, it has a lot of technology that's simply far in advance of anything the Federation currently has.

These are simple facts. The people who are attempting to point these facts out to the OP aren't "stroking their own egos", they're simply trying to point out facts.

Let me give you all an example: "The Sun rises in the East." Now that I've made that factual statement Fizixman, please explain to all of us how my making that factual statement qualifies as me stroking my own ego.
Lt. Commander
# 59
12-13-2010, 04:55 AM
I don't mind the basic design, a bit sleeker and i think there'd be a very nice ship in there.

As for all the uber-powerful techno-babble; *checks the pic on the contest page* they aint going to be able to read any of that. If it were to win, everything bar the schematics would end up on the cutting room floor anyways. Even canon ships aren't immune to the almighty game balance.
Lt. Commander
# 60
12-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanagrah
Clearly a bloke
Pretty sure I know what organs I have:p