Lt. Commander
Going to start a new job and saving up money for a new PC computer. So I can start play STO again. I been gone for a long time ever since my PC died. I have a mac and wish Cryptic will make it available for a mac. Does anyone recommend a good computer that will not make me go broke? I want one that can play the game well and nice graphics.

Also how is the community doing? Is it growing and has the game improved since spring of last year?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Honestly, if you plan on gaming, either build your own or go alienware.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF22 View Post
Honestly, if you plan on gaming, either build your own or go alienware.
Build your own. Alienware is overpriced big time when you can just go to newegg and build pretty much the same thing for half or less.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I always build my own desktops, but I know a lot of people are scared of that. The good news is, you don't need a terribly powerful computer to play STO. Pretty much anything with a dual-core processor and a mid-range graphics card will do, and that can be had for not a lot of money.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Quote:
I want one that can play the game well and nice graphics.
Many of my colleagues would disagree, but I wouldn't build your own system or get a gaming class PC if you play one or maybe two really graphics intensive games. If you do I would suggest it. If you go with one of the big pc companies for a computer just upgrade your video card (and ram) to match the specs of the games you play and you should be fine. If you skimp on anything, don't skimp on the video card.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. Since I don't know anything about building a computer I might go with alienware or looking around for a computer with a nice video card.

So how is the community been doing? Is it growing and has the game improved since spring of 10' ?
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-16-2010, 12:48 PM
I say build your own as well. Ever since Alienware was bought by Dell (i think) thier standards seemed to have dropped. I got a Laptop to futz around on and I've had nothing but problems with its hardware, though thier PC's may be more stable.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-16-2010, 01:17 PM
I recently had a new hot rod computer built. Did a quick comparison matching an Alienware computer as close as possible to what I had built. The difference in price was about $2600 more than what I paid.

I'm not a computer pro either, but I had an idea of what I wanted. I went to a regional computer store and they built the PC for me. They are big enough that they can offer warranty on parts, and the guys you talk to are the guys who are going to build the computer.

Not sure if you got something like that 'round where you live, but it worked out very well for me.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-17-2010, 12:38 PM
If you like your Mac you can play with your Mac... or a new Mac. You can play in OSX with some hit to performance, or dual boot the Mac with Bootcamp so you can install Windows 7 and boot directly up just like a normal PC and play fine.

If your not wanting a new Mac, you can get a lot of decent gaming PCs. Alienware makes decent machines and support them decently, but they are kind of expensive. If you have a friend who knows a bit about building a machine, you might ask for input from them... its actually extremely easy to do. The people who talk like its something special that they build their own computer... well, they don't have to know much to do it... current components are made to work together right and its almost as easy as building with legos... plug things in and tighten a few screws.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-17-2010, 05:45 PM
By far the hardest part of building a computer is researching what parts to buy (and what to avoid). A good forum dedicated to that topic can help.

Once you have all the parts, yeah, they only go together one way

TechReport Fall 2010 system guide (even the "econobox" build in this guide would run STO great at resolutions up to 1920x1080)