Lt. Commander
I was reading through the contest rules (http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise/rules) and a few things caught my eye.
Section 4:

Entrants shall have no right, title or interest in the Assets, and (c) any use of the Assets other than as permitted by these Official Rules may constitute copyright infringement. The Assets may not be modified, published, performed or transferred to anyone else (unless otherwise stated on the site), posted to any third-party websites, nor used for any commercial purpose.

Section 5:

Each Entrant represents and warrants as follows: (i) the Submission Image is the Entrantís own original, previously unpublished, and previously unproduced work;

Section 6:

All entries become the sole and exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
Am I correct in thinking that the 'previously unpublished' and not 'posted to third-party websites' clauses would make pretty much all the existing starship designs inelligable. Wouldn't this exclude all the designs from web sites like www.shipschematics.net ? Seems like it would also exclude any designs created for game mods (Starfleet Command, Bridge Commander, etc.).

If this is the case, it prevents many otherwise very good designs from being submitted. I know for a fact that some of the designs already in the submissions gallery are from other web sites.

Not to mention that win or lose, the creator is giving up all rights to their design by entering the contest. It takes a lot of time and effort to come up with a good ship design. I can understand keeping the the winning one since that design will become canon (and its creator will get credit) but keeping all the submissions means they're basically asking people to put a lot of work into a something that they probably won't get anything for and definitely won't ever be allowed to use or claim as their own again.

Seems like this will discourage a lot of people from submitting their ship designs. Especially if they ever want to post pictures or information about them elsewhere, write fan-fiction about them, use them in a game mod, etc.

I wonder if / how this is affecting the quality of the contest submissions.

Any thoughts?

- SC
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-12-2010, 03:44 PM
As I see it, they wanted people to come with something new to suit thier own aims of introducing the Enterprise-F.

Think about it. How many people have a virtuoso sense that thier ship is the best? How many people went and submitted their own vision of what the Enterprise-F should be?

In contrast, the Enterprise-F is Star Trek Online's Enterprise. Just how many of the submitters thought to design an Enterprise especially adapted to fit into the game that way?

Not everyone is going to understand the significance of the latter paragraph. Or it's importance to the chosen design succeeding at what it is meant to do.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadraCorse
I was reading through the contest rules (http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise/rules) and a few things caught my eye.
Section 4:

Entrants shall have no right, title or interest in the Assets, and (c) any use of the Assets other than as permitted by these Official Rules may constitute copyright infringement. The Assets may not be modified, published, performed or transferred to anyone else (unless otherwise stated on the site), posted to any third-party websites, nor used for any commercial purpose.Section 5:

Each Entrant represents and warrants as follows: (i) the Submission Image is the Entrantís own original, previously unpublished, and previously unproduced work;

Section 6:

All entries become the sole and exclusive property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
Am I correct in thinking that the 'previously unpublished' and not 'posted to third-party websites' clauses would make pretty much all the existing starship designs inelligable. Wouldn't this exclude all the designs from web sites like www.shipschematics.net ? Seems like it would also exclude any designs created for game mods (Starfleet Command, Bridge Commander, etc.).

If this is the case, it prevents many otherwise very good designs from being submitted. I know for a fact that some of the designs already in the submissions gallery are from other web sites.

Not to mention that win or lose, the creator is giving up all rights to their design by entering the contest. It takes a lot of time and effort to come up with a good ship design. I can understand keeping the the winning one since that design will become canon (and its creator will get credit) but keeping all the submissions means they're basically asking people to put a lot of work into a something that they probably won't get anything for and definitely won't ever be allowed to use or claim as their own again.

Seems like this will discourage a lot of people from submitting their ship designs. Especially if they ever want to post pictures or information about them elsewhere, write fan-fiction about them, use them in a game mod, etc.

I wonder if / how this is affecting the quality of the contest submissions.

Any thoughts?

- SC
And this is the reason why it's a US only contest.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
And this is the reason why it's a US only contest.
Which is a real shame... I had so many ideas
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-13-2010, 04:23 AM
Cryptic needs to cancel this competition and begin a new one where the monetary prices (and hence the legalities) are left out. This will not only allow people from all over the world to contribute , but also allow people under the age of 18 to take part and be credited.

I still do not understand what they were thinking (if at all) when they made a decision on this.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-13-2010, 08:17 AM
They were trying to avoid lawsuits. Which will happen when the winner will probably sue for a percent of the game rev since it's his/her ship being used in the game. It's basically just to cover their own butts.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-13-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adml_shake View Post
They were trying to avoid lawsuits. Which will happen when the winner will probably sue for a percent of the game rev since it's his/her ship being used in the game. It's basically just to cover their own butts.
Quote:
The Sponsor in this case is CBS.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Just dump the F on the Typhoon Class.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
Just dump the F on the Typhoon Class.
You want us to call it a Tyfoon?
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-14-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus_Findley
Cryptic needs to cancel this competition and begin a new one where the monetary prices (and hence the legalities) are left out. This will not only allow people from all over the world to contribute , but also allow people under the age of 18 to take part and be credited.

I still do not understand what they were thinking (if at all) when they made a decision on this.
What do you mean "monetary prices left out?" You can't win anything without there being a monetary value for what you win. Plus the American companies can't give a prize to a non-citizen because prizes in the US are subject to taxes, and if you are not a citizen you don't pay taxes. As for the monetary value being the reason for people under 21 not being able to enter is not true, it is because not until 18 does a person start to gain the right to represent themselves.