Lt. Commander
# 11
01-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Man, I'm making my first schematic. I'm wondering how those people did. This thing is taking way too much time. There must be a better way...
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-01-2011, 10:26 PM
In all honesty, it takes a few months for the professionals like John Eaves to design Trek ships. And takes longer in making the CGI models.

If you see high quality CGI entries, it means its from someone's previous works, which I think is in violation of the contest rules. Especially those that are someone elses works, like the fan-Excalibur and the fan-Century-classes that people have submitted.

(Honestly, think 80% of the entries are plagarisms).

So do your best man, focus on the basics of the design and worry about the details like windows later. If all else fails, have a sketch ready to go.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-02-2011, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tychus_Findley
Cryptic needs to cancel this competition and begin a new one where the monetary prices (and hence the legalities) are left out. This will not only allow people from all over the world to contribute , but also allow people under the age of 18 to take part and be credited.

I still do not understand what they were thinking (if at all) when they made a decision on this.
Did you read SHARKFORCE's post? He marked in red two elements of the contest that build an essential part of the contest that is problematic outside the US/internationally, and it has nothing to do with monetary prizes.

There is no way CBS or Cryptic will risk not having the full ownership on the model of the contestant's winner. The contest will never possibly work world-wide.

And in case some people didn't read that part of the contract - it means once you have entered your design, it will become CBS. Don't ever use it anywhere else. If you entered it (and it was yours, if it wasn't, your submission is invalid), it is ow CBS property.