Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 PvP suggestions
12-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Greetings everyone. First of all I want to say that I appreciate all the Devs' hard work and dedication to the community. This game has improved by leaps and bounds since release and I'm sure it's only going to get better.

Having said that, I've been collecting some ideas for changes from people throughout the PvP community and I'd like to hear everyone's opinion. Obviously some people won't like certain ideas, but I'm hoping there's some agreement for at least a couple of these changes. Feel free to post your disagreement as well.

I'll divide this into Primary and Secondary changes. The primary changes are the most popular ideas among the community, while secondary are less popular ideas and mostly my own loose suggestions.
*edit* I've also color-coded ideas based mostly on feedback from this thread. Let me know if I colored something incorrectly.

High agreement
Medium/Conditional agreement
Low agreement

Primary:
1) Scramble sensors should work on carrier fighters. I don't consider this a nerf as it was likely intended but accidentally omitted. (scramble on the carrier will scramble pets but can be cleared by a sci team on the carrier itself)
2) NPC ships such as photonic fleet and carrier pets should count for end damage numbers. (a couple people want damage numbers removed altogether)
3) In addition, carrier pets (and boarding party) will follow you across the map even if you're out of sensor range and/or cloaked. I've had boarding parties still following me after I die and have respawned again. My personal suggestion would be to limit them to the 25km sensor range so they won't still be following you from the opposite end of the map (this is especially true in Cap and Hold). (how this would be fixed is debatable)
4) Certain skills are somewhat weak and often neglected over more powerful alternatives. The main skills that come to mind are energy siphon (too weak for its cooldown), photonic officer (also weak for its cooldown), and aux to battery (short duration, drains aux for minimal benefit unlike other aux to X or emergency power to X abilities). (needs more discussion)
5) Emergency power to X abilities aren't quite balanced with each other. Emergency power to shields has a much longer bonus than the others. While they all increase their respective power level, the resist bonus on EptS lasts for the full 30 seconds while the bonus on the other abilities only lasts 5 or 10 seconds. (no EptS nerf but balance the others)
6) Equal out the effectiveness of mines. Some people may disagree with me, but the only useful procs for mines are chroniton and tricobalt. Quantum, transphasic, etc simply don't do enough damage to account for their limited utility. A change to mines might make dispersal patterns more useful. (there was mention of torpedoes as well)
7) Equal out weapon procs based on which tier skill points are used. For example, polaron is fun (and purple!) but it takes admiral level skill points. Phasers and disruptors are much more skill-efficient at commander level skill points, and are arguably the best weapon procs already. (could turn out with everyone using the 'best' weapon type)
8) Certain powers need more variation in effectiveness by rank i.e. photonic shockwave, tractor beam, gravity well, etc. If you think of any others, go ahead and post them. (there is debate as to whether the current variation is fine the way it is)
9) A sound for the PvP pop (such as the red alert siren), and an afk/deserter debuff and/or penalty (such as if a person goes afk or leaves the match early they don't get credit or are unable to immediately queue for another match after they've left). (with a toggle option for the sound)
10) Bridge officers should be trainable with BO skill points instead of merits/honor. I'm sure many people have hundreds of thousands of BO points going to waste. I have over a million on my main. (awesome)

Secondary
11) Give another ability a resistance to stun because currently the only hard counter to shockwave is aux to dampeners. I suggest polarize hull for this purpose. (post-stun resistance is more popular)
12) Viral matrix could have a 360 degree arc like scramble sensors, as they're both sensor probe skills. (needs more input)
13) Trainable target subsystems X rank 1. This will likely buff assault cruisers, though - which are borderline OP already with current resist stacking. (might place too much emphasis on target subsystems - which is prevalent already)
14) Some sort of evasion defense bonus for escorts if current shield resist stacking isn't changed. (a change to resists/heals might be more important)
15) A tweak to extend shields might be in order - preferrably either a manual shutoff or an extended range (this extended range could come in the form of 5km activation range, 10km max range) because currently it will still be active for the full 30 second duration even if the receiver runs 20km away from you. (there are other ways to tweak this as well)

Let me know what you guys think. Both positive and negative input is appreciated.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
12-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Quote:
1) Scramble sensors should work on carrier pets. I don't consider this a nerf as it was likely intended but omitted accidentally.
yes

Quote:
photonic officer
lol- I may be the only player to use this skill effectively on a build but an increase to its ability would not hurt my feelings.

Quote:
6) Equal out the effectiveness of mines.
yes, I agree.
]
Quote:
11) Give another ability a resistance to stun because currently the only hard counter to shockwave is aux to dampeners. I suggest polarize hull for this purpose.
Yes. I agree.

Quote:
12) Viral matrix could have a 360 degree arc like scramble sensors, as they're both sensor probe skills.
Given that VM is no longer the terror it was, why not?

Quote:
14) Some sort of evasion defense bonus for escorts if current shield resist stacking isn't changed.
I still want my idea of a toggle dodge key with a cooldown and special barrel-roll graphics.

Quote:
15) A tweak to extend shields might be in order - preferrably either a manual shutoff or an extended range (this extended range could come in the form of 5km activation range, 10km max range) because currently it will still be active for the full 30 second duration even if the receiver runs 20km away from you.
or an autoshut-off if you move out of range.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
12-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Wow, It's been awhile since I've read a post i 100% agree with.
Good Job Mr The Yak
I'd love to see damage to pets count towards the final score.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
12-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoinitright View Post
Wow, It's been awhile since I've read a post i 100% agree with.
Good Job Mr The Yak
I'd love to see damage to pets count towards the final score.
i would love to see damage records removed, perhaps then we would see people worrying more about team performance and winning over individual performance and losing as long as they have the highest damage or heals
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
12-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Yeah Ardept, either way would work.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
12-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardept View Post
i would love to see damage records removed, perhaps then we would see people worrying more about team performance and winning over individual performance and losing as long as they have the highest damage or heals
I like that idea. To just have kills , # of times killed and healing would be great.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
12-13-2010, 11:10 AM
I agree with all except (7), (12), and (13).

7: I'd agree with all weapons costing the same skill points, but if AP were boosted, for example, to reflect it's higher cost, it would become 'neccessary'.

12: I'd rather see all sci BO (not capt) skills be 360 than have VM only buffed.

13: Ugh. Too much drain stuff already, IMO. But some more Ens Tac skills are a good idea.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
12-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naevius
I agree with all except (7), (12), and (13).

7: I'd agree with all weapons costing the same skill points, but if AP were boosted, for example, to reflect it's higher cost, it would become 'neccessary'.
I wasn't necessarily referring to antiprotons. I use them on my tac and they're well worth the admiral skill points.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
12-13-2010, 11:22 AM
So I was thinking about #5 (emergency power to X balance). Shield resist stacking is ridiculously powerful at the moment. What if the resist bonus on emergency shields were to stay the same but have its benefit shortened to 10 seconds like the other emergency powers to X?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
12-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheYak
So I was thinking about #5 (emergency power to X balance). Shield resist stacking is ridiculously powerful at the moment. What if the resist bonus on emergency shields were to stay the same but have its benefit shortened to 10 seconds like the other emergency powers to X?
There would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and rending of garments, and the tears of cruiser captains would verily flow as the waters of the Nile.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:50 AM.