Lt. Commander
I am no "noob" to online MMORPG'S , or any thing nearly related.. (E&B, WOW, EVE, GuildW, ****,..or even Diablo if you want to count the game that "broke the mold" back in the day) and the one thing that keeps players coming back for more is the item drop addiction and the ability to make and sell items in a virtual world. In every game that has lasted through the last decade there has been an internal sell/bid economy (and I am not talking about selling your goods on a pay-site...may you burn like the planet Genesis...) that has everthing to do with your skills or class representation. Here is the idea I would ask for my fellow players to dwell on further and discuss the flaws and advantages the "idea" itself might bring to the game.

Crafting 101

Tactical Officers= craft (space) weapons and tactical devices/slots (ground) power cell and weapons
Engineering Officers=craft (space) armor and enginnering devices/slots (ground) shield charge and armor
Science Officers= craft (space) shields and science devices/slots (ground) hypos and shields

It would go astray from the current crafting model the game has ... "However.". it is solely my opinion that with proper drop management and a bit more specialization that the model I have presented in a generic form would create a much more solid crafting template that would help players feel more integrated into a specific "crafting role" while allowing it to be (IN GAME) financially rewarding to them to go "farming" for specific drops.

I would ask and welcome any further intelligent thoughts and ideas regarding this topic.... however as this is an internet forum...here is my disclaimer for this particular medium regarding "trolls".. "My skin is as thick as a Gorn.. and as slick as a Sleestak (you might have to google it youngin's.. before your time)..at the end of the day there is no reason to argue in the forums...I refuse to have a battle of "wits" with an unarmed person .... Star Trek Online is a great game (In My Humble Opinion)... I am only looking for ideas to increase it's longevity.

The Dark Wanderer
(Veni Vidi Vici...I Came, I Saw, I Conquered) Latin Motto Re: Julius Caesar
(Veni Vidi Vivi...I Cloaked, I Targeted, I Conquered..And Moved Onto The Next Target) Klingon Interpretation
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-14-2010, 12:36 AM
How does this system account for our crews of hundreds?

Crafting, like much of our game, isn't our single captain's skill - it's representative of the crew as well, making class distinctions less meaningful.

For example, Picard had an Engineeer come up with whatchamacallit-plot-devices (Geordi, Barcalay), a tactical officer program weapon mods (Worf - especially in First Contact), and a bevy of science officers crafting hypos (Beverly, Pulaski)
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWanderer View Post
I am no "noob" to online MMORPG'S , or any thing nearly related.. (E&B, WOW, EVE, GuildW, ****,..or even Diablo if you want to count the game that "broke the mold" back in the day) and the one thing that keeps players coming back for more is the item drop addiction and the ability to make and sell items in a virtual world. In every game that has lasted through the last decade there has been an internal sell/bid economy (and I am not talking about selling your goods on a pay-site...may you burn like the planet Genesis...) that has everthing to do with your skills or class representation. Here is the idea I would ask for my fellow players to dwell on further and discuss the flaws and advantages the "idea" itself might bring to the game.
You need ingredients to farm. Recipes for consumables. Varying skill sets. Perhaps the introduction of some Trade Classes, Merchant, Miner, Agriculturist. I've heard forum talk of Colonists. A healthy economy has to have some depth.

Currently, I support the suggestion of adding recipes for Regenerators, Batteries, Syringes, Ship Repair,.... Perhaps add some Crafted Only consumable Buffs for the device slots.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-14-2010, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxbad
You need ingredients to farm. Recipes for consumables. Varying skill sets. Perhaps the introduction of some Trade Classes, Merchant, Miner, Agriculturist. I've heard forum talk of Colonists. A healthy economy has to have some depth.

Currently, I support the suggestion of adding recipes for Regenerators, Batteries, Syringes, Ship Repair,.... Perhaps add some Crafted Only consumable Buffs for the device slots.
As soon as a colony gets some dilithium/trilithium and some industrial replicators, they should be self-sufficient.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
As soon as a colony gets some dilithium/trilithium and some industrial replicators, they should be self-sufficient.
That would explain all the "Aid the Planet" missions. Oh... wait... maybe we can rationalize some scenario where crafting and trade continue to be necessary. You know... for gameplay concerns.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Crafting, like much of our game, isn't our single captain's skill - it's representative of the crew as well, making class distinctions less meaningful.
I suppose you could explain it away in that the entire ship will end up being geared to the Captain's career. Example: Crusher's USS Pasteur being a Hospital Ship.

Still, I would suggest leaving it to the players in whatever path they specialize and make it completely independent of their career. Yet, the career could perhaps add a certain "knowledge bonus" to the respective area, thus encouraging/rewarding some paths whilst at the same time allowing to delve into different specializations.

What I would like to see, however, would be for the categories to be less dependent on the gameplay and more like a balance between the game and the canon/realism. For example, instead of crafters specializing in "Personal Equipment" or "Starship Weapons", they should specialize in technobabble categories such as "Nadion Particle Acceleration" or "Subatomic Disintegration" and thus be able to produce both ground and space versions of phasers or disruptors, respectively.

The logic behind this is that someone who knows how to build a hand phaser should be able to replicate this for a starship-sized system as well, whereas it gets harder to explain why someone who knows how to build a plasma cannon has the same skill in assembling an antiproton beam.

In short: Specialization in equipment types rather than general equipment categories. I could imagine some sort of "research tree" where you can unlock lots of different item types, more and more specializing the farther you progress down the road - whilst always having the option to get "sidetracked" into other areas as well.

Just my two darseks, of course.

One of my wishes is also for crafting to allow the customization of equipment appearance. As in: Take a MkI hand phaser and a MkX hand phaser and turn it into a weapon with MkX stats but MkI looks.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-14-2010, 12:05 PM
I guess I just don't understand how splitting craftables by class improves crafting? So instead of being able to make everything on one character you have to make a few alts to get the same result?

The system we have is just not that complex. We have just reached the level were we have basic schematics rather then an item swap system. So we are working with extremely limited mechanics here.

Perhaps one day. The list of raw materials and data samples can be expanded to allow far more flexibility. Schematics can be expanded to require sub-components. And those sub-components can be divided along class lines to provide some form of crafting interdependencies. Then and only then can I see it being worthwhile in dividing crafting by class or subset. But we still have along way to go before we ever get there.