Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I think it would be awesome to around the minimap to have a heading indicator (0 (360) degrees based off of the north part of the map). This would be very useful if you are in a group of people and the person in charge would be able to give very simple and quick orders on where to go and who to attack.

So

Heading (x and y axis)
0-90 would be North-East
90-180 would be East-South
180-270 would be South-West
270-0 (360 in case u are confused =P) would be West to North

Mark (z axis)
1 would be 90 degrees straight up (or as far as we can go which i think is 65 degrees currently)
2 would be 45 degrees up
3 would be 45 degrees down
4 would be 90 degrees down (or as far down as we can go, which again 65 degrees)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
12-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Actually what might be more trek like would be something like "go to sector B7". Minimaps would have grids on them with the top row being letters, the left row being numbers.

Headings are usually based on the ship's position, not what's around them. Thought it would be interesting to somehow incorporate it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
12-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Check here for navigation works in Star Trek
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Heading
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
12-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileight View Post
Check here for navigation works in Star Trek
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Heading
I'm talking about realistically in game. If you are in an instance with you friends (not sector space), the easiest way to create a logical heading that everyone would understand would be to have 0 degrees be north on the map
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
12-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Actually what might be more trek like would be something like "go to sector B7". Minimaps would have grids on them with the top row being letters, the left row being numbers.

Headings are usually based on the ship's position, not what's around them. Thought it would be interesting to somehow incorporate it.
You sunk my Battleship!

j/k. Couldn't resist.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
12-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck360
You sunk my Battleship!

j/k. Couldn't resist.

hahaha i didn't even think about that, good one
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
12-13-2010, 10:33 PM
want realism, get rid of the space drag and make gravity have some meaning. would be nice if i could fly a starship as opposed to a submarine.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
12-14-2010, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtorma View Post
want realism, get rid of the space drag and make gravity have some meaning. would be nice if i could fly a starship as opposed to a submarine.
If you want realism go apply for a job at NASA.

The ships in STO fly exactly like the ships in the Star Trek TV shows and movies fly. If you don't like that then perhaps you shouldn't be playing a Star Trek game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
12-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtorma View Post
want realism, get rid of the space drag and make gravity have some meaning. would be nice if i could fly a starship as opposed to a submarine.
It doesn't sound like you've watched much star trek.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38 AM.