Lt. Commander
I'm actually trying to get a bead on everyone else's thoughts on this these days. I've gone in a couple times over the last couple days and tried to beat it, and the result is always the same. There's some idiot who doesn't read the introduction, using mines or just plain allowing himself to get hit by the shards, and even with four or five other people blasting away at the CE, it only ever drops it 97% or so, all the while blasting back at us. And then another Fragment hits something, and it shoots back up to 100%.

I mean, have other people found that they can go in and win this? If so, is it a rare thing like "Yeah I completed it but it took me several tries and I had to get the right people together."? If so, the Dev's should really consider making it easier.

Or is it that I'm the odd man out and generally people can get it done?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-30-2010, 02:09 AM
its an easy fight, everyone just needs to all use torpedos at 10 km while the distraction tank runs orbit at full engines at 5 km with everything chasing him.

load up the best 2 ranks of high yield you can fit, 3 quantums or photons or plasma launcers, and park and bombard the main body.

everyone could also run 2 dual beams and 2 photons ect with fire at will doubled up and chain torps into body with the mass fire at wills taking out the trash as it chases the bait ship, but if you dont have the numbers to instantly clear the shards this way it wont work out.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-30-2010, 04:01 AM
1) You CAN use mines! That tank ship Khan is talking about ? kicking some mines out will help clear up those shards in the early stages.

Now, as you progress - that mine ship needs to stop BEFORE the large shards start coming out, so that the normal shards clear all the mines. But even at that, if there is only a few left, and you are putting sufficient dps on the entity, it will not matter anyway. Would I recommend a complete novice do this? No - keep it to a good pilot who can orbit, watch shields, etc etc etc all at the same time.

Torp from a distance method - is a workable method, but as noted, you have to have enough beams (number of ships) to clear that shard forest out. HYT hitting constantly at 8 to 12k a splash will out damage the entity's heal rate.

Other pointer - if you are having more than one ship move near the CE, they *need* to follow the same orbit pattern - ie, clockwise or couterclockwise. Otherwise, you end up dragging fragments into each other. Not fun. If you want to try the "turn and burn" method - ie, ships orbiting the CE - all in one direction.

But - back on the original question - Yes - I think the CE is the worst fleet action in the game right now.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-30-2010, 04:52 AM
CE needs Fixing.

It is currently un-doable with Pugs, and that has to change.
Lt. Commander
The CE is a great mission, but because the misbehaviour of a sinlge player can cost the entire team the win its not a good mission to public/auto team.

Its a great concept. Its a challenging match. I haven't beaten it yet, but I got tired and I am a casual / social gamer with no patience for spending hours of play for very little reward.

I do like the CE mission though and the concept. It think the only tweak it needs is for players to be able to take control of their instance, if a single player is letting down the instance all the other players should have some kind of option to remove that player to their own instance. Don't know exactly how that might work though, but would hate to see the CE dumbed down because of a few bad egg players causing grief.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-30-2010, 05:23 AM
It is very challenging but yet I feel it is quite realistic for a fleet action. All members must prepare for it and work together. Sadly none of my groups have understood that concept. Several members of my fleet did beat the CE - after several attempts - back in February/March.

After beating it many of them swore to never play that fleet action again.

Listening to their channel in Ventrilo while taking on the CE was quite entertaining though.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-30-2010, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
CE needs Fixing.

It is currently un-doable with Pugs, and that has to change.
CE isn't broken, nothing to fix, the fleet action is apropriate, the ones that need fixing are terradome and the other borg/undine stf's

CE can be done with pugs, there just needs to me more comunication and co-operation with the ones you have been in. not to long ago i was in a pug that did it with ease..." ONLY because everyone comunicated and the atack was properly exicuted.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-30-2010, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devistator View Post
CE isn't broken, nothing to fix, the fleet action is apropriate, the ones that need fixing are terradome and the other borg/undine stf's

CE can be done with pugs, there just needs to me more comunication and co-operation with the ones you have been in. not to long ago i was in a pug that did it with ease..." ONLY because everyone comunicated and the atack was properly exicuted.
Fleet Actions are not STF's, and are aimed at pugs, as such it should be impossible for a single person to completely screw up the whole FA.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Fleet Actions are not STF's, and are aimed at pugs, as such it should be impossible for a single person to completely screw up the whole FA.
i agree with the " it should be impossible for a single person to screw it up" part but...

i do beleave fleet actions weren't intended for or aimed at pugs, they were aimed at "FLEETS" hence the name "fleet action"

the ones i personaly feel were aimed at pugs are the deep space encounters, as well as a way incorperate a small danger while traveling in sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RStoney View Post
1) You CAN use mines! That tank ship Khan is talking about ? kicking some mines out will help clear up those shards in the early stages.

Now, as you progress - that mine ship needs to stop BEFORE the large shards start coming out, so that the normal shards clear all the mines. But even at that, if there is only a few left, and you are putting sufficient dps on the entity, it will not matter anyway. Would I recommend a complete novice do this? No - keep it to a good pilot who can orbit, watch shields, etc etc etc all at the same time..
Thank you, every time I try and do the fleet action, I get screamed at because I'm using mines to take care of the early stages of fragments.

I should also add, you CAN use any non-targetable weapon against any fragment, including the large ones, without healing it. So long as you are not using mines/Heavy Plasma/Tricobalt, you can shoot down large fragments that are about to hit you or a buddy. There IS a graphic glitch that I've seen on occasion where small fragments spawn after a large one was shotdown, but they vanish a second later as the game goes "Ooops, those shouldn't be there".