Lt. Commander
# 21
12-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Without the ability to directly direct NPC's actions, the Foundry is totally castrated..

What If I want 1 ship to attack another ship that I need to save? Current foundry limits don't allow this behavior.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodar-Duggs
ble was already tied to the NPCs.

The question is, can this be done without throwing a snaffu into the whole NPC, loot, scaling tech? As I suspect, the loot table wasn't added to Foundry, it was already hard coded to the NPCs, and this is the concern of the devs.
Fun fact - in PvP, carrier pets drop loot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morel42
Without the ability to directly direct NPC's actions, the Foundry is totally castrated..

What If I want 1 ship to attack another ship that I need to save? Current foundry limits don't allow this behavior.
That's not an AI problem, though - you can have two ships fight each other, they just need to have hostile allegiance (e.g. Orion vs Federation). The problem is that there is no objective type that would react to the destruction of an NPC ship. But that is not that far off, going by the foundry roadmap.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axterix
Yeah, I wouldn't mind the ability to make some mobs a bit tougher, so we can create our own boss type encounters.
Yes right now creating any sort of boss encounter is very difficult. Even drawing in boss npcs like the scimitar we can stick a costume on a battle ship thats about it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Could changing NPC abilities be added as a feature sometime down the road? After all, those of us who want to put Klingon science officers *giggle* in missions really can't as the system stands now.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-16-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc View Post
Could changing NPC abilities be added as a feature sometime down the road? After all, those of us who want to put Klingon science officers *giggle* in missions really can't as the system stands now.
Managing enemy abilities in STO Foundry missions does not seem to be the desired focus Cryptic intended the tool set to feature, in contrast to the CoH/V UGC tool-set for example.

So, I guess that perhaps in the future this may be possible, but it will require a lot of R&D, balancing, re-balancing and extra effort from both Cryptic and community, therefore I wouldn't expect seeing this before the end of 2011.

Then again, I may be wrong and Cryptic already has plans for this.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-16-2010, 02:12 PM
I think the ability to change the abilities of enemies would be cool, and would be a nice way to make missions more "ours." Of course, there would have to be a way for Cryptic to detect the "power level" (for all you DBZ fans) and scale drops accordingly. So if I have a BOFF that's a cakewalk, it will have a lesser chance of spawning items and it won't spawn items that are necessarily good. Probably white or green. But if I have a Boss that is near impossible to defeat, then you should get some nice loot. Also, they need to add in if the player has defeated that Boss Before, and how many people where in the group (if the Boss Doesn't scale to group size of course.) That would take time and energy, but it would be pretty cool.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Now I haven't got to try out the UGC tools so I'm mainly working off the second hand information but...

Couldn't you just chose an extremely weak level 1 enemy and reskin it? Would that not effectively give you the proverbial-one-shot? I guess this wouldn't be effectivie if your mission is a very low level one, but who needs to be 1-shot epic at level 2?

And at high level, what's so exploitable about a level 1 getting farmed? What's it going to do? drop a hand phaser?