Lt. Commander
# 1 Tongo Game Rules Idea
12-14-2010, 08:41 AM
I have always wondered how Tongo might be played and since there were no rules created officially and I wasn't satisfied with any of the rules I've read about, I decided to make my own rules for all of those interested and recently created a fansite to that effect. The site isn't completed as I'd like to take more pictures of my physical version of the game and instructions on how I went about creating the game but the rules have been tested and it is quite fun. If these rules were incorporated into STO so they can activate the mini table in Quarks I think that would be cool but it may be too much for a minigame. Nonetheless I would love it if other fans could check it out and test the rules to see how close to canon they are and help me get rid of any missed bugs.

I know the board and cards certainly aren't exact and the center piece should be different but I was also limited by the tools I had on hand. This was something I made for fun after all and not for profit. (Not very Ferengi like I know )

For those who are curious, check it out at www.tongogame.com
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-14-2010, 08:42 AM
What's Tongo?
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDawson View Post
What's Tongo?
The game played by the Ferengi in DS9
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Lt. Commander
# 5
05-12-2011, 05:10 PM
I'd also like to know how tongo is played, what cards are used and so on.

My idea was to have it in Quark's bar, but as stated in other threads touching that topic, it could result in thousands of captains playing tongo instead of leading their vessels. So this could kill the game.

I'm still interested in the game itself, but I would have to be against the implementation into STO.

Would be better, if the factions could finally be somehow equal (e.g. diplomatic missions for Fed, nothing to fill the gap for Klingons). They got it started this way, but it can't be finished yet.

Second, I'd rather like to have at least Romulans (if not Borg as well) as a playable faction. Those Romulans could have spying missions instead of diplomatic stuff.

I know I went right across several topics now, but at least it started with tongo ;-)

So long.
Lt. Commander
# 6 So THAT'S it!!
05-12-2011, 05:14 PM
(Taken from Memory Alpha)
Tongo is a strategic Ferengi game that is a combination of cards and roulette and is played with two to eight players. The object of the game is to win by acquiring as much wealth as possible.

On a given turn, a player may "confront", "evade", "acquire", or "retreat". Each venture has a "risk" amount, a "buy" amount, and a "sell" amount, where the risk amount is equal to the sell amount minus the buy amount. Other possible actions a player may take include "indexing the margin", "indexing the exchange", "leveraging the buy-in", and "converting reserves".

.....so THAT'S what all the baboons on Wall Street are doing.....I knew it wasn't real work :p

Sounds pretty sweet though, I'm checking out your site now