Lt. Commander
Question to the community:

Would a mission based on a mystery to solve, as in some law and order/csi/ncis stuff be of interest? I ask because some of the criteria that reviewers rate on is combat. And some people don't read the text. Keep in mind that this one does play a part in the other missions but there is no combat at all. Just a few puzzles, rough interrogation, investigation (all by triggers - no objectives assigned - but it plays a part in the buttons in future discussions), and decision making. But no combat.

The nuances of the mission are in depth but recently, after playing some of the newer Tribble missions and some of the comments, it worries me. Much so that I'd contemplate revising what I've got so it doesn't receive a crappy score. Because one bad score and nobody will play the remaining 3. (yes a five week weekly as this is the second in it)

So before I enter my entire script, I want to get the feel from you guys. I know not the best question and not the best place but...
Lt. Commander
# 2
03-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Go ahead and put it together. If the story is good, it'll rate high.

Don't worry too much about the reviews. I got two reviews from my mission that contradict each other. One says the ground combat was too hard; the other says the ground combat was too easy.

If you do a mission that is text heavy, just say so in your summary.
Lt. Commander
# 3
03-29-2011, 08:49 AM
non-combat missions are one of the things that many of us have been waiting and waiting and waiting for. If you can pull it off, it'll be a 5 star and extremely popular mission.
Lt. Commander
# 4
03-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Absolutely you should tell your story if you think you have a good one to tell. As others have stated here just annotate the description of the mission if there is something in the content you know will polarize some styles of play.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Kirkfat, glad you replied. Some of your tutorials have inspired some crazy and really wacked out ideas for puzzles and dialog.

Anyway, my brother was impressed and with some confirmation from you guys i'll have it up.

Thanks again
Lt. Commander
# 6
03-29-2011, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammadelta1 View Post
Kirkfat, glad you replied. Some of your tutorials have inspired some crazy and really wacked out ideas for puzzles and dialog.

Anyway, my brother was impressed and with some confirmation from you guys i'll have it up.

Thanks again
I'm glad that they are helpful. So many are outdated now that I worry. Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 7
03-29-2011, 09:53 AM
By all means, please gammadelta1, create the mission. I do rate combat but only if it is well implemented and - if used - well used. You get a whole star just for not using combat.
Lt. Commander
# 8
03-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Quote:

Thanks again
Just be sure to use the resources at your disposal to broadcast its existence. There will be a LOT of fluff here in the beginning and good missions can get lost in the clutter.

Also you have looked at starbaseugc but have you signed up as a member? I can guarantee it is going to be one of my first resources to go to in order to look for missions authored by members of our community that want to do good work.

And please remember it doesnt matter how good your mission is - you WILL get some negative reviews. Some folks that cant bother to read will try it and wont like it. Others perhaps will rate it down due to a glitch or bug out of your control. Just realize that if you do good work the community that cares for quality will remember and support you. First impressions are everything
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Would a mission based on a mystery to solve, as in some law and order/csi/ncis stuff be of interest?
I'd love to see that kind of mission, but there's no hard fast rule the says you can't mix mystery and combat.

Quote:
...there is no combat at all. Just a few puzzles, rough interrogation, investigation (all by triggers - no objectives assigned - but it plays a part in the buttons in future discussions), and decision making. But no combat.
Highly depends on how you craft it and how immersed I'd feel in it.

Quote:
The nuances of the mission are in depth but recently, after playing some of the newer Tribble missions and some of the comments, it worries me. Much so that I'd contemplate revising what I've got so it doesn't receive a crappy score. Because one bad score and nobody will play the remaining 3. (yes a five week weekly as this is the second in it)

So before I enter my entire script, I want to get the feel from you guys. I know not the best question and not the best place but...
Honestly, I'm probably not the best to ask, but I try to write for myself first and foremost. If my story doesn't satisfy me, I'm not sure I'd care if anyone else liked it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-29-2011, 11:42 AM
If its an interesting mystery, sure I'd enjoy playing it!

I grew up with MYST as one of my first computer games, so I developed a healthy taste for puzzles and non-combat game-play early in life.