Lt. Commander
Repost... I accidentaly posted this in the academy forums so I will repost it here.

One thing STO seems to be missing is the need for socialization. I have played other online games that do quite well in this area. Perhaps make use of the bars that exist on the various stations by granting some type of buff to a player that spends a certain amout of time partaking in the activities that exist there. Im not talking about requiring large amounts of time.. just 5 to 10 minutes. I also dont want this to turn into buff wars or anything. Perhaps something like a medical boost buff, or Experience point gain of 10% for a few hours.

I feel that this type of face to face socialization will lead to more grouping and creation of friends within the game. It could bring fleets closer together.

Let me know you think.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Or a small boost to symbolize the players willingness to team and be social.
Why not just have it give a temporary small percentage buff if player teams within an hour of being in the bar?

Should spending too much time in a bar have a debuff effect? Would it depend on the bar and wether or not it serves real alcohol?
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-15-2010, 07:15 AM
Sounds kind of like the rest system in another game when you stay at an inn or sit in a home city even if you are logged out you gain rest points granting a bonus to exp gains.

What I would do to get more of social atmosphere going is to get on those mini games like poker, dom-jot (pardon my spelling), and such games as pool.

Yes pool is canon as per voyager.

What I am getting at is games that players can all play and play against eachother or help eachother win such as poker teams.

Dabo is a nice game, but there is really no player interaction going on.
In poker a player could be the card dealer and so forth.

The rewards need to be worth the time.
I am not talking getting gear through a poker game, but rather gaining cosmetic items for your char or your ship that do not take forever and a day to earn.

Even a person who wins little needs something to come away with to in order to help keep the system alive.

You may be on to something there in the OP, but I am just not sure that will keep people coming in for the long term.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlB
Repost... I accidentaly posted this in the academy forums so I will repost it here.

One thing STO seems to be missing is the need for socialization. I have played other online games that do quite well in this area. Perhaps make use of the bars that exist on the various stations by granting some type of buff to a player that spends a certain amout of time partaking in the activities that exist there. Im not talking about requiring large amounts of time.. just 5 to 10 minutes. I also dont want this to turn into buff wars or anything. Perhaps something like a medical boost buff, or Experience point gain of 10% for a few hours.

I feel that this type of face to face socialization will lead to more grouping and creation of friends within the game. It could bring fleets closer together.

Let me know you think.
I think we should WANT to socialize, not NEED to socialize. Just like I feel we should WANT to group with others, not NEED to.

Thing is we are now living in the age where voice chat programs like Skype are common-place, and more social conversation is going on in the privacy of those chat sessions is going on than is readily apparent in casual observation. Odds are, if you can play STO, you can also use a voice chat program. To you, I may be standing there staring at my team mates, but for all you know, we could be engaged in a deep philosophical debate about the nature of the universe, or we could be planning our next move in the game.

As to your idea of requiring 5 to 10 minutes downtime from gameplay as a reason to come to a bar on a space station to get a buff, let me just say, no thanks. I have real life responsibilities that place limits on my gameplay time. 5 to 10 minutes may not seem much to you, but to me, that's a significant chunk. And even though I don't PvP, if something like this were implemented, the victory will be ensured to those who have the buff and defeat will be ensured for those that don't. And in order for the incentive you are looking for to be there, the buff would have to be something greater than just a marginal boost to stats.

Want to bring people to social hubs? then ask the developers to write content that sends them there. Make it where there are reasons to visit Earth Space Dock, even though the services provided there also exist elsewhere.

No area of an MMO should EVER be a ghost town. If an MMO's live team would examine player traffic into and out of each social hub, and create some sort of scenario to place in close proximity to the hub with the least traffic incoming traffic, there's an instant reason for players to gravitate back there on common purpose.

It can be truly said that Deep Space K7 has had a significant upturn in player presence since Series 2. Next series, I hope they introduce a new space sector. And for series 4 I hope they set it in a previously existing hub area that has seen a decrease in visitors. Where Cryptic deploys forward-going content will determine where the players gravitate. It brings players there without forced downtime or forced grouping. And that is a good thing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-15-2010, 07:44 AM
The solution is simple.....just put a cat house in the orion sector.......
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-15-2010, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
I think we should WANT to socialize, not NEED to socialize. Just like I feel we should WANT to group with others, not NEED to.
I agree. Some people have limited playtime and should be forced to spend it looking for other people to play with(or buff them) unless they actually WANT to.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-15-2010, 07:49 AM
I think a group of people should get bonus buffs when teamed in missions. Teaming already gives you more XP because there's more ships/ground troups to defeat in each mission but a crafted item-like buff for a team would be more useful then a social zone buff, IMO.

2 person team: +5% accuracy
3 person team: above +5% damage
4 person team: above +5% critical
5 person team: above +5% resistance or defense
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-15-2010, 07:51 AM
I can't remember in which MMO(s) it was, but I recall reading info about an MMO in which players that group together receive a slight XP boost. I want to say it was SWG, but I'm not positive. Heck, it could have been STO. I wouldn't know though, because I just recently bought a subscription to the game and have yet to group with anyone aside from when I briefly do so for a PvP match or when I get put into an open team instance during a patrol mission.

Yesterday, when I went to the "Big Dig" ground warzone, I tried to group with some of the people I came across, and while only two accepted my invites, I tried to stick with any others I came across as support, but when I would get flanked and had to take on an extra group of Remans, often times my "group" would just continue on and ditch me behind, which pretty much left me on the outskirts of the objective area fighting Remans forever while the ragtag group of uncoordinated players ended up completing the mission.

There was really no incentive to help me. It takes more then one person to finish that warzon if you are at the same rank that the warzone is ranked as, but with the players competing amongst each other for the high score - or I assume that's why everyone seemed to ditch each other behind (I wasn't the only one) - there's really no incentive to cooperate beyond what is minimally necessary.

I think it would be a good idea (if it's not implemented already) to offer a slight skill point boost to players that complete missions as part of a team. Nothing huge, but an additional 5% boost to player or Bridge Officer skill point rewards or something like that would work. It wouldn't force players to group, but it would create an incentive to do so, as you would rank up faster. And while I haven't really grouped with anybody, I really haven't noticed any other players traveling together either. I don't know if that's one of those things that becomes more common at high levels, but right now I am a Commander 7th grade, and I've yet to see it once.

I also like Cosmic_One's idea.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I think a group of people should get bonus buffs when teamed in missions. Teaming already gives you more XP because there's more ships/ground troups to defeat in each mission but a crafted item-like buff for a team would be more useful then a social zone buff, IMO.

2 person team: +5% accuracy
3 person team: above +5% damage
4 person team: above +5% critical
5 person team: above +5% resistance or defense
A very good idea and would provide a combat-oriented incentive to group that doesnt force anything, and would automatically be applied to the group. NPC bridge officers should not count towards these bonuses, obviously.

But the OP seemed to be making a case for bringing people into social hubs, not just giving a reason to want to group... Do you feel that what I suggested would work in that respect?
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Quote:
A very good idea and would provide a combat-oriented incentive to group that doesnt force anything, and would automatically be applied to the group. NPC bridge officers should not count towards these bonuses, obviously.

But the OP seemed to be making a case for bringing people into social hubs, not just giving a reason to want to group... Do you feel that what I suggested would work in that respect?
I agree with you that there should be some missions that require socialization in the various social areas but, like the STFs, people would just complain that they can't do them solo. I personally have no problem if there were a few "social missions" but not if they must be made at the expense of other types of content that the game so greatly needs. Manpower is extremely limited right now and there are greater end-game needs that need to be addressed first.

STO's never going to be a social simulation game, IMO. Yeah, we all have access to Teamspeak, Skype, Vent, and other voice sources but I'm usually already talking to friends on Teamspeak while playing games. I might be in STO, another friend might be in WoW, another still might be playing DCUO beta and asking us to come and join him, and so on. Voice software has allowed us to expand our socialiazing past just a single game experience.