Lt. Commander
# 21
12-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
The solution is simple.....just put a cat house in the orion sector.......
House of Ill Repute or Brothel. Cat house may upset the Cat people in the game.
Iether way I agree.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-15-2010, 10:49 AM
If they were to remove the instancing into each system (leave the different sector instances, but remove the system instancing) then people would want to team up more. Why? Because you could be flying by and you would see someone fighting and such and you'd say ''heck lets go join in and do the mission together''. I used to do this all the time in WoW (and so did others with me) and it led to teams and friends and more guild members.

Of course to do this they would totally have to make systems like 10x bigger so you could still do the missions in the systems, and you would still have to have planet instances (for when you do away team missions) but at least in space they could keep it instance-free. You would only need to retain the sector instances so that if you're trying to do a mission in a system and someone has already begun it or has killed half of the enemies, then you could simply switch to another instance of the sector until you found one that was empty or with someone just beginning.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I think a group of people should get bonus buffs when teamed in missions. Teaming already gives you more XP because there's more ships/ground troups to defeat in each mission but a crafted item-like buff for a team would be more useful then a social zone buff, IMO.

2 person team: +5% accuracy
3 person team: above +5% damage
4 person team: above +5% critical
5 person team: above +5% resistance or defense
The whole reason there are STFs is because people want "challenging forced team content". Do those people really want that content to be easier by having buffs applied to them? Every time it's mentioned to make STFs easier, there those who demand they be left the same because they want a challenge. I'd have to assume those players would not want the STFs made easier by giving team buffs.

I think the best way to "encourage" people to socialize in this game would be to provide mini games in the social areas. Multi-player mini games would go a long way to provide something for those who want to hang out in social areas a reason for loitering there and interacting with each other.

I can respect those who do enjoy socializing want more stuff to do in the social areas, but when it comes down to adding buffs, bonuses or specific missions for socialites, I tend to get a bit suspicious of the true motives. Is it really about encouraging people to socialize for the betterment of the community or is it just about rewarding those who play this "MMO" the "right" and punishing those darn anti-social, casual solo players who have never played a MMO before.

Personally, I see no reason at all to "encourage" one play style over another.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlB
One thing STO seems to be missing is the need for socialization.
If simply being human hasn't given you the need to socialize with your fellow human beings then nothing done by any game design company is going to help you with that.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
like the STFs, people would just complain that they can't do them solo.
Or, nowadays, complain that the optional Pi Canis Raid missions that were specifically made to encourage teaming are too difficult to solo...

Anyways, socializing ... there are a number of chat channels for all kinds of people (general smalltalk, Trek-related stuff, roleplaying, ...), and fleets give a further sense of community for people.

I don't see what else can be done to encourage socializing. This is something that has to come from the people themselves and can not nor should be enforced.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueheart
The whole reason there are STFs is because people want "challenging forced team content". Do those people really want that content to be easier by having buffs applied to them? Every time it's mentioned to make STFs easier, there those who demand they be left the same because they want a challenge. I'd have to assume those players would not want the STFs made easier by giving team buffs.
I have long wondered what percentage of Admirals/Generals in the game actually complete an STF, let alone all 4. I have a feeling it's probably well below 20% of the Admirals/Generals in the game have done one or more. Since Cryptic has the numbers it would be interesting for them to release them. Making content that only a fraction of your fan-base actually does is a waste of valuable manpower, IMO.

The above is my feelings on STFs. Of course there's nothing saying teaming bonuses can't be turned off in STFs just like the Difficulty Slider is.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-15-2010, 11:19 AM
That is the one thing i have always wanted for this game. Although you meet alot of players in space they are usually to busy to talk with you and as soon as you leave the map/sector they are gone. You can create separate chat rooms yes but realistically that's not something you do on the train to work when having a conversation.

A sector specific chat room that includes all zones and instances of missions and locations within that sector would be perfect. It is definitely something i would love to see. Anything to expand the social element a little.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I do not know about you. But I am constantly chatting. There is lots of chat going on.
Chatting in the Zone
Chatting in the Fleet
Chatting with my Team
Chatting in the PVPMatch

You just need to play the game socially, if you want social.
Start doing missions in teams. Look for people to join your team.
Join a fleet.
Play pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-15-2010, 11:29 AM
I say, just add more mingames. The current one, Dabo, is REALLY hard to talk to people while playing. But poker, Domjot, Klin Zha, Darts, or any other competitive games could get people talking. Plus adding life to "social" zones.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
If simply being human hasn't given you the need to socialize with your fellow human beings then nothing done by any game design company is going to help you with that.
I think it's pretty clear from him posting this thread that he wants to, he is finding tools to do so some what lacking.

I have to agree they are.