Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
12-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I can't follow your logic. This would only result in even more Alien characters, including Aliens made to look like canon species just so their players can have them wear a bikini.

Usage of the Alien species generation should be disencouraged, not encouraged. The focus should always be on the canon cultures.
I can't follow your logic either. Why should others' creativity be stifled just because some people might use it to create canon races?

Honestly I don't think anyone but min/max kiddies even bothers to attempt to recreate a canon race through that thing anyway. It's not harming the game at all, it's allowing me and others with such desires to make that Klingon/Orion hybrid and dress her properly, or outfit their hulking demon thing in Nausicaan blade armor.

I simply fail to see the problem.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
12-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
I can't follow your logic either. Why should others' creativity be stifled just because some people might use it to create canon races?
I see it as harmful to the overall appearance of the faction and the uniqueness of the canon species. Why does everybody need to be able to do everything? Why must all things look the same?

Matter of preferences, I guess. I just don't want to see Qo'noS turn into ESD 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
allowing me and others with such desires to make that Klingon/Orion hybrid and dress her properly, or outfit their hulking demon thing in Nausicaan blade armor.
Ordinary clothes would be just as appropriate. Do you want to play a certain kind of species, or a certain kind of clothes? The choice is yours.

Honestly, I do see your point, and I know how important clothes can be as part of a character concept. Were this some kind of private server with special DMs who would analyze player concepts and weigh their "suitability" against their potential "disturbance" of the setting, I'd be all for it. That's not the case, however, and given that it doesn't take much to see what kind of style such a change would result in here in STO I have to express my concerns in favor of my own immersion and enjoyment of the game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
12-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I see it as harmful to the overall appearance of the faction and the uniqueness of the canon species. Why does everybody need to be able to do everything? Why must all things look the same?

Matter of preferences, I guess. I just don't want to see Qo'noS turn into ESD 2.0.
Oh. I was too broad, sorry. I didn't mean all parts for both factions. I'd prefer to see it faction-specific; KDF aliens would get only KDF outfits and alien parts, Feds would only get Fed outfits and alien parts. So you wouldn't have KDF Ferengi or Fed Nausicaans running around. Trust me, I don't want it that broad any more than you apparently do.

*edit begin* Geometry allowing, of course. Caitian ears, for example, would be a pain to get to morph right with aliengen head shaping. And I'm pretty sure the same it true of Nausicaan and Lethean tusks. *end edit*

Quote:
Ordinary clothes would be just as appropriate. Do you want to play a certain kind of species, or a certain kind of clothes? The choice is yours.

Honestly, I do see your point, and I know how important clothes can be as part of a character concept. Were this some kind of private server with special DMs who would analyze player concepts and weigh their "suitability" against their potential "disturbance" of the setting, I'd be all for it. That's not the case, however, and given that it doesn't take much to see what kind of style such a change would result in here in STO I have to express my concerns in favor of my own immersion and enjoyment of the game.
Fair enough. I was always a wee bit more loose with my acceptance of immersion, I suppose.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
12-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Oh. I was too broad, sorry. I didn't mean all parts for both factions.
No, no, that wasn't how I understood it either - I suppose my comparison with ESD it to blame, and apologize for that. I was not as much referring to the exact look of the characters as to the feel that it results in. ESD has become a zoo, and that's something I fear would happen to Qo'noS as well if you allow everyone to wear everything - even if it's still limited to the faction.

There'd be a particularly huge inflation regarding Orion loincloths. To the chagrin of all Orion players, no doubt, seeing that the only unique feature left would be the green skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Fair enough. I was always a wee bit more loose with my acceptance of immersion, I suppose.
We all have our own spectrum of it.

It's not like I don't see your point, or am incapable of ignoring things that don't fit (otherwise I would not be playing my Fed anymore). It just gets tedious to see the atmosphere get "disturbed" by more and more of those "little things", so I'm glad for any relief - ironically, the limited amount of KDF customization makes the Klingon faction look pretty close to what I'm used from the shows.

You could say Qo'noS is currently like a resort for stressed canonists when compared to ESD. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
12-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I know you can find an excuse for virtually anything. That doesn't change how the faction will end up looking like.
Don't project your own hangups on me, please. The Orion I'm struggling to stand leveling KDF with doesn't even wear the bikini parts. By your logic, that should be disallowed.

And what makes the Nausicaan-only bits so special?

For that matter, this is the KDF we're dealing with. I can see (though I'd dearly wish to unsee) a cadre of brash young Klingon males looking at the Orion warriors and saying, "Pah! You go into battle wearing almost nothing? Well, fine, we're Klingons, we'll go outfight you naked!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
As sad as it is, sometimes you have to limit player creativity.
And no level of clothing customization would replicate that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
I can't follow your logic. This would only result in even more Alien characters, including Aliens made to look like canon species just so their players can have them wear a bikini.

Usage of the Alien species generation should be disencouraged, not encouraged. The focus should always be on the canon cultures.
What you're pointing out is a flaw (if it really is) in human nature, not the game.

And absurdly minimalist clothing abounds in Trek. If anything, there should be more options for it, not less.

And the various Aliens of the Week would probably like a chat with you in the back room.

Quote:
Ordinary clothes would be just as appropriate. Do you want to play a certain kind of species, or a certain kind of clothes? The choice is yours.
Ordinary clothes by your definition. For a K/O hybrid raised mainly by the Orion parent, minimalist clothing would be the norm.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
12-17-2010, 08:58 PM
I personally have ONE orion female character... WITH the loincloth. Also every single BO on that ship is an Orion female... my ships name is the IKS Harem. Is THAT enough exploitation for you... no?

I also have 5 other characters, 3 of them Klingon, 2 feds... they are ALL aliens, ALL female, ALL sexy (Feds are dressed in MICRO mini skirts, and ENT mirror tops, with Thigh high boots) and at least half have long hot pink hair and big hoop earrings. They are all a sexy California golden brown tan, with F*** me red lipstick/makeup...

So AS a dirty old man, who has absolutely NO shame when it comes to character creation, and has ZERO problem with skimpy little mini skirt-ish costume options... I fully support the idea of MORE sexy clothes for KDF no matter WHAT they are. Hell, if there is a plaid skirt, and platform mary jane options... then I would be going with those. Oh man I loved City of Heroes...

...

What was I saying?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
12-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Jax: We seem to have very differing opinions of what actually works in the setting. Let's just leave it at that.

Traegersama: At least you're honest - with typical Klingon bluntness.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
12-18-2010, 12:23 PM
hmmm i'd give all the uniform options to the "alien" races.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
12-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
hmmm i'd give all the uniform options to the "alien" races.
Why only the aliens, though? Wouldn't that be a little unfair to those who have opted for one of the canon races - which is already a self-imposed limitation in terms of customization?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
12-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Why only the aliens, though? Wouldn't that be a little unfair to those who have opted for one of the canon races - which is already a self-imposed limitation in terms of customization?
No reverse arguing, they will think you are on their side.

If you want to look like an Orion hooker then play an Orion and dress her like a hooker. You can be yet another one of the thousands already running around in metal harem gear. My guess is it is more a matter of not wanting to start a new character for this 'must have' outfit.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:29 AM.