Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
With my previous graphics card (an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280), I was able to run STO and Champions Online just fine with all settings maxed out.

I've recently upgraded to a GTX 580. Everything looks great and runs at least as fast, if not faster. Everything, that is, except STO and Champions Online. Both of those are running much SLOWER.

When my characters run, it's like they're running through water--every step seems to take longer, and every few steps they'll freeze for a split second. Even turning around is slow because of the hitching.

All other games are doing fine. LOTRO, for example, loves the new card. It's only with STO and CO that I'm having problems.

And, before you ask, I have downloaded and installed the latest driver.

Other specs, in case they're relevant:

New card: PNY XLR8 GTX 580 1536 MB GDDR5 PCI-Express HDMI Graphics Card VCGGTX580XPB
Motherboard: nVidia 790i Ultra Core 2 Quad (nForce 790i Ultra SLI) (DDR3 Only)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz (1333MHz Front Side Bus) (6MB Cache)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
System Hard Drive: 600 GB Western Digital Velociraptor (10K RPM) (32mb Cache)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Any suggestions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-16-2010, 05:50 AM
The most recent Nvidia drivers mention in their release notes that there is a problem with STO compatibility (with my 460 anyway). If I remember correctly, it was stuttering. I think I turned dynamic lighting to low and maybe shadows to off or low, too. Try it out and see if that helps. It plays fine on my PC now and I leave everything else maxed.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
The most recent Nvidia drivers mention in their release notes that there is a problem with STO compatibility (with my 460 anyway). If I remember correctly, it was stuttering. I think I turned dynamic lighting to low and maybe shadows to off or low, too. Try it out and see if that helps. It plays fine on my PC now and I leave everything else maxed.
It appears we do share the same driver. Are you referring to these release notes? I can't find anything in there about STO.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-16-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post

you sir are a genius!

i lived with that stuttering for months now, i thought it had something to do with loadtimes and streaming
i allready thought about buying an SSD because of that !!!

BOY WAS I WRONG!

Shadows to low and BAMM smooth like butter.
(i can leave dynamic lighting ON btw.)

460 GTX 260.99 WHQL drivers...

//
i don't know which release notes Boglejam is referring to either?
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
you sir are a genius!
Why yes....yes, I am. Ok, not really. In another thread I was accused of being moronic and a tool. Guess it all evens out.

Glad I was able to help, thou.

The link to the release notes for the 260.99 notes are here.

Under known issues for Win 7 (both 32 and 64 bit) it lists pausing on and off (which I called stuttering) on pages 12 and 15.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbase1
It appears we do share the same driver. Are you referring to these release notes? I can't find anything in there about STO.
Sorry, I meant the most recent, non-beta drivers. I haven't checked out the 263 version yet.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-17-2010, 08:40 AM
im runnin everything maxed and shadows full on, atm i have a 460 single clocked to 910/1820/2200 (core/shader/memory) also have the 260.99 drivers installed. On a side note, i used to have shadow flicker on the ship when i space below the clocked settings but now its all clear and smooth for me but thats in space, i have not gone to ground yet since i been farmin samples for my main toons. Will need to double check the effects there and see what results i get at these new clock settings.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-17-2010, 10:27 AM
If I ever have an issue with a game running slow, the first thing I look at is dynamic lighting and shadows. 99% of the time that is the problem.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-17-2010, 11:25 AM
the thing is that it is NOT running slow... it just takes time to load, but once it's loaded it runs smoothly

when you beam down to ESD it lags like hell,,, turn arround 3 times and then you will barley notice it anymore.

Shadows to LOW and the lagging / stuttering, whatever is just gone.

i also deactivated dynamic lighting now because it made shadows flicker like hell when i was shooting stuff on some maps

and this is what the patchlog says

""GeForce 400 Series: Star Trek Online–the game pauses on and off. [677159]""

so OK they know about it... now is the question if they will get it fixed (ever)
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
so OK they know about it... now is the question if they will get it fixed (ever)
Probably not. Cryptic will say it's an NVIDIA issue, and NVIDIA will say it's an STO issue.