Lt. Commander
# 11 It's a business after all...
01-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Sheridan View Post
Well, a choice-and-failure type of story telling might not be the typical stuff for MMO´s. Still i am a fan of the old Star Trek adventures and love that style. Options and command decisions, like a captain! I assume there might be folks out there loving my stories. If the majority doesn´t, well, everyone has his own style.
That's the spirit.

However, there is a reason why MMO's have not yet ventured into the choice and consequences realm. That reason is, team gameplay. If you've ever played an STO mission called Suspect, where one Franklin Drake (a Section 31 operative) claims a Starfleet Captain is actually an Undine. The player has to pick sides and attack one or the other. Either Drake or the Captain must be fought and when playing this mission on a team, the mission does not allow the team to be divide according to the individual choices of each player!

Another consideration is that including actual choice and consequences gameplay in MMO's is probably going to inflate missions with extra dialog and perhaps even extra content that not many players will even get to experience because most people would simply try to read a guide about the mission and follow the path of least resistance and most reward.

Under conditions like that, is it any surprise that most MMO's simply focus on tried and tested gameplay concepts like "Kill 10 Targs"?
Lt. Commander
# 12
05-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
Last question: No. First questions: Please see this tutorial. There is a lot that you can do with multiple interactions with NPCs using hidden objects that create differing paths. It isn't branching dialogue or a fail option, but it might be what you're looking for.

Basically, I show you how to approach an NPC, make a choice about "Ask about X," "Ask about Y," and "Ask about Z." Each choice unfolds a separate series of popups, object interactions, etc.

I hope that it helps: http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/sto...ues-the-cheat/
This is exactly what I'm working on.

But I foresee a problem going this route.

Choosing 1 task over another, does not auto-complete the other 2 tasks so said mission is complete.

I am working on a multi-choice group quest.

Given the difficulty level of my mission. I seriously doubt people want to do all 3 parts because the missions are quite difficult and will not be possible to solo.

Is there a way to "auto-complete" other quest choices such that the overall quest self destructs without forcing players to do the other 2 paths?
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirxia View Post
This is exactly what I'm working on.

But I foresee a problem going this route.

Choosing 1 task over another, does not auto-complete the other 2 tasks so said mission is complete.

I am working on a multi-choice group quest.

Given the difficulty level of my mission. I seriously doubt people want to do all 3 parts because the missions are quite difficult and will not be possible to solo.

Is there a way to "auto-complete" other quest choices such that the overall quest self destructs without forcing players to do the other 2 paths?
If I understand what you're asking, then it's not possible if the quest is in the story tab. But, if it involves a fetch question, like choose which princess to save, then it is possible by setting the other quest objects to go invis if the player picks the other. Please check out parts 5 and 6 of my Triggers series. It's probably not a great fit for the exact thing that you're trying to do, but it could help.
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Quote:
If I understand what you're asking, then it's not possible if the quest is in the story tab. But, if it involves a fetch question, like choose which princess to save, then it is possible by setting the other quest objects to go invis if the player picks the other. Please check out parts 5 and 6 of my Triggers series. It's probably not a great fit for the exact thing that you're trying to do, but it could help.
Can you link them for me.

I know how to use triggers. But I don't think it's possible to trigger them as such.

The 3 choices people can make in my quest determines which type of quest they do, where they need to go to do it.

In this case I have 3 contacts on DS9

1 gives out - Mission type 1

2nd gives out - Mission type 2

3rd gives out - Mission type 3

Missions 2 and 3 tie into mission 1 as far as plot/content goes.

The problem I am having right now is if a person chooses Mission Type 3 - everything works fine for that, except they can't "complete" the overall quest because they would be forced to do Mission type 1 and 2 before completing the quest

In the dialogue flow it would be classified as "Complete all" which there is no way to seperate it that I've figured out yet. If I can seperate them it would be easy to link it into the original quest line.

If I understand what you are saying, If a person chooses Mission Type 3 - then Mission types 1 and 2 self defeat.

Is it possible to do that way when all 3 missions are in a "Complete All" dialogue state?
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirxia View Post
Can you link them for me.

I know how to use triggers. But I don't think it's possible to trigger them as such.

The 3 choices people can make in my quest determines which type of quest they do, where they need to go to do it.

In this case I have 3 contacts on DS9

1 gives out - Mission type 1

2nd gives out - Mission type 2

3rd gives out - Mission type 3

Missions 2 and 3 tie into mission 1 as far as plot/content goes.

The problem I am having right now is if a person chooses Mission Type 3 - everything works fine for that, except they can't "complete" the overall quest because they would be forced to do Mission type 1 and 2 before completing the quest

In the dialogue flow it would be classified as "Complete all" which there is no way to seperate it that I've figured out yet. If I can seperate them it would be easy to link it into the original quest line.

If I understand what you are saying, If a person chooses Mission Type 3 - then Mission types 1 and 2 self defeat.

Is it possible to do that way when all 3 missions are in a "Complete All" dialogue state?
Hmm... the closest I think that you can come to this is a complete all objective that would give the player a patrol type mission, but you couldn't start with a ds9 contact.

Try this: make 3 different locations and put 3 different contacts at each location. Put 3 talk to contact objectives in the story tab under a complete all objective. If it's the first objective, then you should have 3 different transition tabs. If you specify different systems as doors, then it allows the player to pick which system mission to do first, and he/she has to go back to sector space to go to another objective.

But I'm not sure how you could do this using contacts at ds9 as the doors. Sorry. Please visit us in the sbugc chat room. Others can help you in real time.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/chat/
Lt. Commander
# 16
05-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Hmm... the closest I think that you can come to this is a complete all objective that would give the player a patrol type mission, but you couldn't start with a ds9 contact.

Try this: make 3 different locations and put 3 different contacts at each location. Put 3 talk to contact objectives in the story tab under a complete all objective. If it's the first objective, then you should have 3 different transition tabs. If you specify different systems as doors, then it allows the player to pick which system mission to do first, and he/she has to go back to sector space to go to another objective.

But I'm not sure how you could do this using contacts at ds9 as the doors. Sorry. Please visit us in the sbugc chat room. Others can help you in real time.

http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/chat/

You don't have to use objects at all.

Figured out how the beam out option works with map transitions.

So in my quest

Mission Type 1 - Shuttlebay door in DS9

Mission Type 2 - Beam out of world

Mission Type 3 - I think I'm going to use a beam out option as well.

But all 3 missions are taken from DS9.

However the overall story starts at ESD.... So there is some traveling involved to kinda explain the plot leading to the 3 types of missions which are taken from DS9 NPC contacts
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-15-2011, 07:39 PM
But to do so.... you run into the same problem of having to complete all these different objectives for the mission to end.

The only way to add optionality is via triggers and objects on a single map.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazag View Post
The only way to add optionality is via triggers and objects on a single map.
Optionality is currently possible only between objectives that are non-milestone objectives, i.e. objectives that do not appear in the mission/objective-tracker.