Lt. Commander
# 1 a new console slot type
12-16-2010, 03:12 PM
may have already been mentioned, but can this be added for the future, a warp drive console along the same lines as the IMpulse drive. perhaps a standard, hyper and combat. doesn't really make sense these weren't available from the outset
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenn View Post
may have already been mentioned, but can this be added for the future, a warp drive console along the same lines as the IMpulse drive. perhaps a standard, hyper and combat. doesn't really make sense these weren't available from the outset
Warp only takes place in Sector Space, where nothing really happens (definitely not combat). Flat speed already upgrades as a standard when you level. As such there isn't a point to different types of warp engines.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-16-2010, 03:24 PM
instead of warp drive, a warp core slot would be awesome, with different types offering slightly different bonuses to the 4 energy types on top of the class bonus. maybe a bonus for efficiency for 1 kind of core and a bonus for performance for another.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-16-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't think the game needs a new Console type for Warp. I simply think the current engines need bonuses to Warp Speed added to them - some of which we're seeing with the Borg engine and its boost to Warp 14.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-16-2010, 03:26 PM
What about a warp burst though, maybe be able to pull of a Picard Maneuver in combat... or does that already exist??
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-16-2010, 03:27 PM
The Picard Maneuver is hidden within the game files - the name is, anyway. It's just not active yet. It's probably going to be a VA 3 reward when the level cap gets raised.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Kind of curious how it would work in STO, a simultaneous speed boost towards a target with Torpedoes firing? I know how it should work, just curious about in game tho, how many attributes would affect it?
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-16-2010, 03:36 PM
My guess is it would be a "lunge" maneuver with a temporary Defense boost to the ship (symbolizing being in 2 places at once and the attacker not knowing which one to target) ending with you firing at the end of the move.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Warp only takes place in Sector Space, where nothing really happens (definitely not combat). Flat speed already upgrades as a standard when you level. As such there isn't a point to different types of warp engines.
Ah.. But the Warp Reactor also powers the ship! A Warp Reactor slot with different kinds of power bonus' (to Weapons, Shields, Engines, & Aux) would be quite a handy-dandy little item. Add in bonus' to power transfer rates, resistances to enemies power drain effects, bonus' to your own power draining abilities, and the benefits become obvious. Oh, don't get me wrong, i'm not saying every Warp Core should do all of the above, make them more like Deflectors, they each do two, with higher rarities doing three (Uncommon) or four (Rare) or even five (at Very Rare). Not to mention we can get a slew of Boff abilities across the board that deal with it:
  • Tacs get "Target Warp Core" for +% damage for the duration.
  • Engineers get "Give me all she's got" giving an across the board energy bonus over duration (less than a battery would do for each individual system).
  • Scientists get "Subspace Dampening Field" a minor power drain and slow effect to target over duration.
The mechanics wouldn't be groundbreaking, everybody already knows how to use the slots we have. Add the slot, put the items in the stores and in the crafting trees, and give everyone currently playing the default Warp Reactor for their level (T1 gets Standard Issue, T2, gets Mk II, T3 gets Mk IV, etc..).

I'm loving this idea and it's possibilities.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Well it was a Defensive/Evasive Maneuver when Riker used it, maybe a very well rounded maneuver, if it is added I'm sure it will look good, keeping my fingers crossed lol

Edit Katic's post beat me by 1 minute lol, never the less it is a good post