Lt. Commander
# 11
12-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoben
How do you do Beacons? Im assuming those aer the things that Blink in space pointing you where to go.

I have a mission that REALLY need one of those.
Look on the details list, several kinds are there. I've used one.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-18-2010, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
I think the "Cryptic style" is for morons with no style or creativity... This Factory style is extremely boring, lacking in immersion and is a big reason players get bored... it's all vanilla with zero spice... that translates into zero interest... I want players to become emotionally invested into the story line... any idiot can make "grinder" type missions... getting someone to care about what is going on is critical to good story-telling... The "Cryptic Style" is just Lame in my opinion...
No need to be so hostile about it, everyone likes something different.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacoben
How do you do Beacons? Im assuming those aer the things that Blink in space pointing you where to go.

I have a mission that REALLY need one of those.
ah beacons

ok they are listed under satelites

2 main ones should get your attension

1 blinks but does not put an icon on the mini map....good for some effects and
little hints on where to go

there is another one right after that...it includes a mini map icon, when you really need
to make sure they can find a spot

hope that helps

Meow
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Being limited to ten maps that you cannot leave and re-enter makes it tough... my epic has 5 episodes Completed and #6 is in production now... The Epic starts out Basic and gets more involved as it moves along... bringing the player into a more involved and personal tragedy by the time you get to episode 4... End of #5 you can see the endgame approaching...

I actually used a couple of Dream Sequences as well as some forced containment for more tension and dialogue... Injuring your Captain adds more tension and risking his career and sanity helps bring players into the character. Forcing Strange behavior messes with the players and makes them wonder what the h@ll is going on...

Rescue is a Basic rescue kidnapped Orion queen mission... basic introduction to characters

Re-Ani-Rescue has a Re-animator type of Sci/Horror theme with some attempts at humor to lighten things up a little...

The Gauntlet Falls starts to up the ante in the conflict and shows our character has some tricks up his sleeve...

Into the Breach has a Shakespearean flavor and brings in some romance.

My Thorns have Roses moves into the Tragedy part of the epic where our protagonist is injured and mentally abused and finally scorned for his loyalty to Starfleet.

Memory Alpha & Beta has our Protagonist return to his own" turf" to prepare & sets the stage for the final Showdown with reveals of what the real situation is... amping up the tension... filling in the blanks before the Finale...

So it takes quite a few episodes to really get something going, but that's how it has to be... sliced into manageable chunks for easier consumption...

Episodes are:

Rescue
Re-Ani-Rescue
The Gauntlet Falls
Into the Breach
My Thorns have Roses
Memory Alpha & Beta
(in production)
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-18-2010, 07:35 AM
Personnel I am really hoping for 20 maps per mission.

Lets face it, often you need a map that a player will use for...40 seconds?

Arrive at a planet, beam down, go into a simple building walk around there, leave building, go back
out to space........half your maps are gone already

20 maps, much better
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-18-2010, 07:38 AM
20 would be nice... Totally Agree with that....
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherfungus View Post
Personnel I am really hoping for 20 maps per mission.

Lets face it, often you need a map that a player will use for...40 seconds?

Arrive at a planet, beam down, go into a simple building walk around there, leave building, go back
out to space........half your maps are gone already

20 maps, much better
Rather than up the map count, the ability to go back to a previous map that knows that things already happened on it is what I'd like to see.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-18-2010, 07:49 AM
I tried that and failed miserably... returning to a previous map only confused the flow in the story section... I ended up with crazy loops going on no matter what I did... even using totally different rooms, spawn points and actors.. locked in a containment field.. didn't matter.. I tried leaving from specific points with zero "leave whole map" points... I just knuckled under and had to add another episode...
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
I tried that and failed miserably... returning to a previous map only confused the flow in the story section... I ended up with crazy loops going on no matter what I did... even using totally different rooms, spawn points and actors.. locked in a containment field.. didn't matter.. I tried leaving from specific points with zero "leave whole map" points... I just knuckled under and had to add another episode...
The Foundry just can't do it yet. That might change. It should change.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Rather than up the map count, the ability to go back to a previous map that knows that things already happened on it is what I'd like to see.
That would help...no doubt.
Also less work

however I think...because they are so busy right now
20 maps would be the quick fix