Lt. Commander
# 11
12-17-2010, 11:41 AM
I'm 'anti-continue' as well. I always try to put some sort of response in the button as though my captain were saying it. Usually something simple like if my BO says "should we return to the ship", the response will be "beam me up" or "energize" rather than "continue.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-17-2010, 11:58 AM
ive said this to my friend one, but you can also advance your script mystery through the bridge and captain.

cryptic missed a good opportunity to do this with their recent presever missions, i mean come on, the preservers are a very interesting topic in st, not much is known about them, there is a lot to speculate on the information provided, alot of worthy subject material to engage the player in an immersive semi interactive discussion.

but instead they chose to have one bridge officer relay to you every thing they found out during the mission about the preservers, and this was boring, i find myself clicking continue continue when dialogue is long motonoous and boring, im like get on with the next mob, but some of the foundry missions have me reading dialogue again because its being presented differently.

If the only achievement of presenting dialogue different is to get more players to read it and understand it and know whats going on then that is still important. No one wants to be lectured to by your all knowing BO's.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart

Some Neutral sounding script is more effective like "Battle Stations - All Hands" or simply "Engage" or "Energize".
I completely agree with this, thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-17-2010, 12:46 PM
I think there are neutral tone phrases you can use that won't break immersion. Use the 80/20 rule. If 80% of Captains would say "Set course for Cardassia Prime" or "Set course to intercept" then use it. The 20% of Captains that feel that is 'out of character' are going to see the entire game as 'out of character'. If you can make 80% of people happy with a phrase, use it. The other 20% are not worth losing sleep over.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm11
I've been testing missions over the past week - excellent work for the most part. The hard work really shows on many of these great missions!

I wanted to bring up a topic for discussion. I noticed when testing missions that many creators use the response box to fill in a detailed reply from the player's captain, often simulating both sides a conversation with the contact or bridge officer. I have found this to be problematic.

Thoughts? Comments?
Yes. I also use the response button to simulate your character's dialogue. I saw that was how Cryptic uses it - especially in Night of the Comet as an example with the response buttons for Cassidy's drink e.g. "I am glad you enjoyed every last drop" etc.

So when I was building my mission the thought did cross my mind - should I make all the responses generic? What would other players think about the kind of responses I am putting on these buttons?

So I tried to keep them as generic as possible. I still can't stand using just "Continue" though. Mostly I stick with one word responses most of the time, e.g. "Understood" "Acknowledged" "Energize" "Proceed".

But some times I just couldn't resist putting something a little more forceful in there. Like "Let's go!" or "Let's move". One time though, just before a big battleship arrives I think I put "Bring it!" as the response. That obviously wouldn't work for a Vulcan lol
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-18-2010, 02:45 AM
It seems to me that players who use a Vulcan character don't deserve special treatment. I refuse to compromise using emotional responses just because some idiot wants a "Vulcan" Captain with no emotions. Who would do such a thing? The Emotional conflict between Vulcans and the rest of the Galaxy is beyond the considerations of Decent Story telling. I would rather have Players become emotionally invested in the story line... If some one chooses a Vulcan character to play then that is their problem not mine...

Sometimes a story just can't work with players that make things difficult and I'm not going to worry about 1% of a player base....

Good Stories evoke an emotional response from the consumer and that should be a prime consideration for dialogue. The Vulcan Factor is a "non-starter" for me. Screw all that... I'm not going to dumb-down anything just because some moron wants an "un-emotional robot-like" response...

The problems of Vulcan Commanders interacting with Humans is well documented and beyond the normal development of human-based stories... Now if We had some means of altering a story due to different species of players I would consider it an option... As it stands now my stories are for Normal Humans with emotions... If that doesn't suit someone's weird character then that's just tough.... I'm not going to lose Any sleep over it...
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-18-2010, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_BlownApart
It seems to me that players who use a Vulcan character don't deserve special treatment. I refuse to compromise using emotional responses just because some idiot wants a "Vulcan" Captain with no emotions. Who would do such a thing? The Emotional conflict between Vulcans and the rest of the Galaxy is beyond the considerations of Decent Story telling. I would rather have Players become emotionally invested in the story line... If some one chooses a Vulcan character to play then that is their problem not mine...

Sometimes a story just can't work with players that make things difficult and I'm not going to worry about 1% of a player base....

Good Stories evoke an emotional response from the consumer and that should be a prime consideration for dialogue. The Vulcan Factor is a "non-starter" for me. Screw all that... I'm not going to dumb-down anything just because some moron wants an "un-emotional robot-like" response...

The problems of Vulcan Commanders interacting with Humans is well documented and beyond the normal development of human-based stories... Now if We had some means of altering a story due to different species of players I would consider it an option... As it stands now my stories are for Normal Humans with emotions... If that doesn't suit someone's weird character then that's just tough.... I'm not going to lose Any sleep over it...
it is really hard to even throw out the illusion of getting the player involved if there can only be one possible response. Sure, we now know how to make multiple dialog options, but the issue here is that those dialog options have to ALL be clicked for you to progress to the next script- and that still doesnt add to player immersion. So until we get the ability to add better player immersion into our dialog boxes, i am not going to make a great effort to try and make creative response buttons, because not everyone shares the same taste and outlook on a given situation
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm11
I've been testing missions over the past week - excellent work for the most part. The hard work really shows on many of these great missions!

I wanted to bring up a topic for discussion. I noticed when testing missions that many creators use the response box to fill in a detailed reply from the player's captain, often simulating both sides a conversation with the contact or bridge officer. I have found this to be problematic.

If I am playing my Vulcan captain, and the provided response is informal (using contractions, slang, or laid-back conversational speech), I find it very jarring and out-of-character. On the contrary, if I am playing my more cavalier, fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants captain, the responses that sound too formal are also annoying.

I think this is why Cryptic uses the word "Continue" in all or nearly all of the single-response replies, and the branching dialog choices are very brief and to the point. The reason for this is it is impossible to predict what type of captain a player has created, or how they speak. Making the responses generic may be a bit lacking in flavor, but the alternative, at least for me, breaks the immersion.

Thoughts? Comments?
I can understand what some people feel if there is dialog in the buttons or in the actual dialog field itself. However, I am not going to limit my story because some people lack imagination to look past the limitation of the workbench. I have come up with some techniques for the player dialog.

Lately, I have been using my own narrator character as the player's own character dialog. Sometimes, I use the button for the dialog, if it makes some sense. However, sense is an individual experience. I feel the player will either get it or not. Some players are so rigid and inflexible, that they take anything you do as to literal. If they cannot conceive it in their minds, then they won't grasp the story.

I am coming to learn to, 'do what you think is best for your story'.

Remember, no one player is worth it. The goal is to have fun and create your story how you want to tell it. We are not paid writers on the foundry.