Lt. Commander
As it stands the scanning mini-game is pretty fun (except when it's interrupted by NPCs which pop behind the minigame and cause it to fail because it destroys keyboard control of the wave). However, the overall scanning experience leaves a lot to be desired.

Now that we can scan for destructables, the little pointy beam is like Forrest Gump's box of chawklets. You never know what you gonna get. I imagine Data and Riker standing on a planet:

"Sir, the Tricorder has detected something."
"What is it, Data?"
"I do not know, Commander, but whatever it is, it is over there."

Every time he scans.

It would be nice if we could bring up a scanning interface, select an item for which we would like to scan, and then run through a little mini-game to find any applicable objects in that category. Our success with the mini-game would determine how many, if any, objects we detected and place way point markers on the map; perhaps even visible markers akin to the bridge officer way points. Scanning for different categories could either blank out the previous results (requiring the previous mini-game to be run again) or place different coloured markers on the map.

The above method would be a bit more like the functionality in the show and keep the functionality of the tricorder from being ruined by an underground anomaly that cannot be accessed. Plus it would be fun.

Scanning whilst in space would be similar, but with a different interface representative of a ship console instead of a tricorder.

Ah yes, and while we're on the subject, can the KDF players have access to Klingon Tricorders (reference 1, reference 2, reference 3 at 4:50) instead of Starfleet's? (The sound effect of a Klingon Tricorder can be heard in Star Trek III)
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-17-2010, 01:28 PM
I like this idea without the mini-games. I would like to be able to set my scanner to "anomaly" or "mission objective" or whatever. I would think Starfleet's technology level could handle that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-17-2010, 01:30 PM
I'd like to see this sort of functionality.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-17-2010, 01:56 PM
I like this... the mini-game aspect to add a level or risk-reward maybe? Just to make sure that we don't turn tricorders into "Easy Buttons."
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-17-2010, 03:32 PM
So long as the mini-game isn't interrupted by NPC dialogue pops like the current one. >.<
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Ka-bump?

Whatcha think, devs?
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
Ka-bump?

Whatcha think, devs?
They are probably thinking... Thank goodness it's Xmas and we have a few days off...

As for the OP... I like it!
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSilhouette View Post
So long as the mini-game isn't interrupted by NPC dialogue pops like the current one. >.<
This keep happening to me as well and it annoys the hell out of me.

Surely this isn't a hard thing to fix? Deciding which dialog boxes get focus and when? Please fix it.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
They are probably thinking... Thank goodness it's Xmas and we have a few days off...

As for the OP... I like it!
Well now that they're back from vacation.... >.>
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-06-2011, 05:25 AM
/signed. I likes it.