Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
If there's one thing that's stood out above and beyond all things in STO for me, it's been the story and game play quality in a lot of the mission lines. I've been playing MMO's since Asheron's Call and playing Diplomatic Orders in STO was hands down the best mission I'd ever played in any game right up until I got to the Miral Paris missions in the Neutral Zone and got to fight along side the NCC-1701.

I've recently had time to get back into STO and last night I played the Devidians series. Before I go on with my rant I want to say, this line of missions was so good I was up till past 1 AM because I didn't want to leave a break in the story.

The first issue was a bug. I've only ever been remotely creeped out at all by two games. Call of Cthulu and the first F.E.A.R. Maybe it was just because I didn't see it coming from STO, but Down Below gave me a little shiver when I realized what direction the atmosphere was taking. This is unheard of for an MMO as most missions in these types of games are just dialog click-through nonsense. This mission was prime story telling in a genre of mediocrity.

The problem was, I was given a light to make this dark creepy atmosphere navigable. The light wouldn't work. I could click in my action bar after equipping. The icon would light up indicating it was on but it didn't have any external effect. This didn't bother me for the first half of the mission as I could just barely make out enough to move around and it almost made the mission a little more fun and creepy once I started hearing the voices. That was right up until I got into pitch black areas where I couldn't see at all. I had to crank up my brightness in my video settings to be able to move which completely ruined the atmosphere of the rest of the mission. That one admittedly was a graphics bug so doesn't belong in mission feedback, but it greatly affected the quality of the mission.

The second is a minor quirk which just made me raise an eyebrow each time and kinda say, "WTF?". When you're leaving the lower level of the station in Down Below it's follow-up missions with your away team, it puts you back up at the lift to the lower level then you have to beam back to your ship alone, I know it's not a huge deal, but it breaks the otherwise extremely engrossing theme of the entire line of missions. In a similar oddity, in the next mission when you return to the station you beam down alone, go to the lift, pick your away team and land right at the portal as if you beamed there from the lift... This could all be (I'm guessing very easily) streamlined by having you beam directly from the lower decks with your away team back to your ship and vice versa.

My last (and major) beef with this series is the drink snob after the station boss fight on the last mission... What. The. ****.

Really? I just had an epic Devidian boss fight after helping Leonard McCoy, I'm preparing to beam off the station to blow up an asteroid while fighting off seemingly endless waves of Klingons (which for some reason have weapons and shields that can stand up to my ship from the future) and NOW is a good time for this woman who was almost just killed (who I saved) to throw a drink back in my face because it tastes bad? All of this on top of the fact that she has the part that's needed to save the station? I would have stunned her with a phaser and taken the part myself for wasting mine and Scotty's time and for risking the lives of people on the station BECAUSE SHE NEEDS A DAMN DRINK?!

That awesome story that had so successfully sucked me in and kept me up for hours was broken at that moment as I just wanted to throw her out the closest airlock for being such a useless waste of life. NO Starfleet captain in any series (except maybe Kirk, cause he'd be tryin to get under the skirt) would have put up with that crap! Someone would have busted out a Vulcan neck pinch or a phaser set to stun and taught her a lesson! I'm all for breaks in the combat. McCoy's medial help was a good break in combat without breaking the suspense. I'm still kind of baffled that the same mission that had McCoy would incorporate this thoughtless lush only a few minutes later with no alternative but to pander to her irrationality. Were I a Vulcan captain, my head would have exploded.

The inexplicably strong 23rd century Klingon ships I can forgive in the interest of game play. It was a fun challenge to destroy the asteroid in a timely manner while fighting off back to back waves of enemies, but that woman on the station... that was a deal breaker.

</rant>

I hope my feedback was constructive. I tried to keep the complaining to a minimum.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-17-2010, 07:59 PM
yeah it's horribly placed in my opinion.

On it's own it's a great idea with a fun bit of problem solving to it, but the situation in the storyline seemed to demand a lot more urgency than a crash course in bartending would allow. If it really was TOS era, that woman would have recieved a patented kirkslap.

As for the light, it uses dynamic lighting, with that off it doesn't work. So quite a few ATI users ended up 'in the dark' so to speak.

For me one of the oddities was when i got to use a jeffries tube to bypass security patrols. instead of following me through the jeffries tube my boffs up and decided to phase through several doorways and waltz past multiple security patrols unaccosted. This left me wondering why i bothered to use the tube at all and why i don't have the phasing technology my boffs apparently do.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
yeah it's horribly placed in my opinion.

On it's own it's a great idea with a fun bit of problem solving to it, but the situation in the storyline seemed to demand a lot more urgency than a crash course in bartending would allow. If it really was TOS era, that woman would have recieved a patented kirkslap.

As for the light, it uses dynamic lighting, with that off it doesn't work. So quite a few ATI users ended up 'in the dark' so to speak.

For me one of the oddities was when i got to use a jeffries tube to bypass security patrols. instead of following me through the jeffries tube my boffs up and decided to phase through several doorways and waltz past multiple security patrols unaccosted. This left me wondering why i bothered to use the tube at all and why i don't have the phasing technology my boffs apparently do.
Ahh. I thought it might be something similar to that. I'm an ATI user but I tried turning on/off dynamic lighting to see if it changed and it didn't.

I had my own little annoyance with the jeffries tube part oddly enough. I wanted to take the route of not fighting any of the station personnel. I was going to take the jeffries tube but I notice when I stood next to the door the prompt said "Lock door...". So naturally I though I was supposed to hit this to lock the door to prevent them from following me then head up the tube.

So I hit "Lock door" which opened the door and suddenly I was being fired upon by women in skirts! That part ruined any chance I had of completing the mission peacefully...

The little things.... *sigh*