Lt. Commander
# 11
12-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zornow
I am about ready to quit STO. I finally reach level 5 and take the starbase 24 mission. I destroy 20 klingon ships and then beam down to starbase 24 where I am suppose to rescue some scientists and beam them above the ship. Well all I find is klingons everywhere.I am out numbered 2 to 1. How can I complete the mission with only and away team of four against 15 to 20 klingons against me? No way. Crytic made this mission IMPOSSIBLE to complete
Starbase 24 is a fleet action. It is meant for a large group of people to complete together. It may definitely SEEM impossible solo at your level. Plus, there are 2 parts to it, and the 2 parts can be completed separately. There is the space part where you have to destroy a certain number of ships, then a number of battleships/cruisers. You do NOT have to beam down to the starbase. You can continue completing the space part until it is finished. The game actually keeps score as to how many ships you destroy so at the end, someone will come in first place. First place winner usually gets a mark II rare item. This is in addition to the reward that you get from the Admiral that assigned the mission. The ground part of the fleet action is a little harder than the space.

My suggestion is to do some of the regular missions and patrols first and level up a bit. It should be much easier for you when you are Lt 8 or 9. OR, find some friends online, team up, and do it together. You could probably get a team together just be asking in zone chat in sirius sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadeComplete
Oh come on. I got first place in SB24 when I was a LTCM. felt great.
Dude, he said he is Lt 5. So what you are saying is that you were able to get first place when you were at least 6 levels above him. How good of you. I'm sure that makes the OP feel real good. Plus, he is talking about the ground portion which is much more difficult to solo.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Some words of wisdom (lol to myself) regarding ground Fleet Actions.

-They are meant to me teamed not soloed. It is always best to have some other players. Odds and numbers may still be the same, but real players are better fighters than BOs most of the time.

-If you do solo SB24, don't dilly dally. Shoot, rescue, and move on out. In ground Fleet Actions, enemies will spawn not too long after you kill them.

-Don't retreat back through the station while chased by a mob. You will just aggro the freshly respawned mobs I just mentioned above.

SB24 is fun to do if you work with a group. I don't want to completely demoralize you, but "Breaking the Planet" will be much more difficult and fair to impossible to solo if you do it at or near level. Fly around SB24 and ask (don't spam) if anyone wants to do the mission. I'm sure you'll have some takers.

"If not, give me a call. I'll be your RIO." (cue Kenny Loggins).
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
Dude, he said he is Lt 5. So what you are saying is that you were able to get first place when you were at least 6 levels above him. How good of you. I'm sure that makes the OP feel real good. Plus, he is talking about the ground portion which is much more difficult to solo.
Keep in mind that the fleet actions are level-banded so you will generally be fighting enemies of similar level.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-17-2010, 11:32 PM
The ground portion of SB 24 is not a fleet action. You beam down with BOs in your own instance. You only have others with you if you group with them.

The mission can be challenging because the enemies respawn, but the friendly Star Fleet personnel also respawn, which can be a help at the beginning section. It is not close to being impossible.

Things to make sure you have in order to complete the mission:

1) Make sure your away team is equipped with decent weapons and shields, not just whatever crap you picked up off the ground or the standard issue equipment.
2) Make sure you have one engineering officer with shield recharge, and a science officer with medical tricorder. Without healers you're going to have more trouble with the mission.
3) Place your bridge officers and pull the first enemies back to them. If you are quick you can then pull a room and clear it, but the hallway enemies will respawn so it may be safer to fight in the rooms depending on the situation.

The mission is challenging, but it's not that hard. If you go in with crap equipment and with no care to what powers your BOs have (just whatever they have by default) then you are going to make it a lot harder for yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-17-2010, 11:42 PM
The ground part is the best part of the mission. The Scientists respawn so you can essentually beam out the same one 6 times then go klingon hunting on the top floor.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zornow
I am about ready to quit STO. I finally reach level 5 and take the starbase 24 mission. I destroy 20 klingon ships and then beam down to starbase 24 where I am suppose to rescue some scientists and beam them above the ship. Well all I find is klingons everywhere.I am out numbered 2 to 1. How can I complete the mission with only and away team of four against 15 to 20 klingons against me? No way. Crytic made this mission IMPOSSIBLE to complete
It is a Fleet Action at a lower level may require more Captains to team to help you complete. If you would like I will offer to take you through with my away team. The scientists are in the corners of the room, the first room two are hiding in there! do not miss them or you have to refight everyone to back track...also try not to respawn let a medic heal you, or you may end up at the beginning while teaming.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardalpha2clearance View Post
It is a Fleet Action at a lower level may require more Captains to team to help you complete. If you would like I will offer to take you through with my away team.
the ground bit is NOT A FLEET ACTION it's just a level with respawning enemies, so if they respawn at a bad time it can be hard, i've never died on it but once lost 3 BO's on my alt and was saved by starfleet NPCs taking agro while i resed my BOs
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-18-2010, 11:18 AM
The issue with the ground portion of the sb24 mission is respawn rates. Even moving at a relatively fast pace (as fast as you safely can at the level you first get the mission), you'll have respawns right on your heels throughout the mission. Take a few seconds too long on one group of enemies, and you'll have one spawn right behind you - and the spawns are close enough that they'll either attack right away, or one of the enemies you're currently fighting will run over to them to get their help.

I dont think I've had to deal with respawns in any other ground missions so far, and the only time I've seen space mission respawns is in enemy signal contact maps (and the respawn there is still pretty long, though if you're unlucky you can get caught in the middle of a respawn as your'e fighting a group).

Since the sb24 ground mission really isnt intended to require a group of players for completion (and even if it was, your away team should provide the necessary manpower), the respawns really need to be taken out, or at the very least put on a much longer respawn timer.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-18-2010, 01:44 PM
SB 24's tough--but doable. I like to wait until I get to a higher level LT or even LCDR before going for it and I like to give myself plenty of time for the mission, so I only do it when I know I have the playtime and there's nothting else that I really want to do. The others have given you some great advice--but as a few people here have said, this is a fleet/group action, so best thing to do is do it with friends.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
That's my guess.....just take it slow....and bring a Science Bridge Officer with you that has the Medical Tricorder skill.
I've done that mission a few times as a lt. The OP must be drawing too much aggro or something. It can be challenging, but its not impossible.
Closed Thread