Lt. Commander
# 71
12-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by count23 View Post
Sorry, your analogy is wrong. It's really Apples and apples, they're both MMOs built on an existing fanbase.

Just jump in your TARDIS, or your Delorean or phonebooth and go back in time to when WoW first launched... or wikipedia I suppose if you can't afford a time machine.

On the WOW launch it STILL had substantial more content then STO does 6 MONTHS LATER, they didn't even bother introducing the in game store until the first expansion pack.

LOL, stick to counting. WOW was built on a gaming franchise, Star Trek is a fandom based game, that has been movies and books, long before games. Your "intelligent" attempts at "humor" or "insults" by including Deloreans and the Tardis, shows you don't understand the apple=game franchise VS oranges=fandom idea, but hey it's all a generic cliche in internet speak anyways.

WOW had several years of development and was based on a engine built for WOW games. It came from a company and IP that was based off the gaming industry. WOW is based on fantasy, by far the most popular of genres in the RPG, MMO market. See anything that says they are the same fruit?

Star Trek is a vastly different "market". The current complaints about Klingons (IMHO) is from "gamers" not "Trek" fans. After all real canon Klingons, don't want new ships, they want the designs they have, up-scaled to include new weapons tech and new redundant defense systems. It is the Fed "carebears" that want new designs that are pleasing to the eyes. True Kilngons are worried more about honor in combat (PvP) and not "crafting" or (shudder) fashion.

Klingons are also a minority of the fanbase. (no I can't back that up with figures, but it's not hard to use logic to figure it out.)

To OP, you pay to play a game. I would ask you why you pay for something that you don't want. This not your style, stop playing and wait for the next ST game that has what you want. Not concerned with Star Trek, but what the game means to you as a "gamer"? Find a new game.

You are by every right allowed to express opinions. The fact that this game does not live up to your standards does not mean it's bad.

Apples and Oranges, lol. I wish people would be more creative than using every internet cliche that exists.
Lt. Commander
# 72
12-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks Maina for breaking it down far more coherently than I could. Or did.

Good thing, too. I can't afford a Delorean.

Apparently you aren't a big fan of them....but would you like an apple?
Lt. Commander
# 73
12-31-2010, 02:45 AM
This thread has opened my eyes about what I'm doing wrong with my gaming time.
See I tried WoW and didn't care for it, so I stopped playing. Now I see what I should have done is kept paying for a game a didn't like. Then since I didn't like playing the game I could instead spend my time in the forums crying about how I don't like the game. And I guess the fun would then come from acting surprised surprised by all the sane people who don't pay for things they don't like responding to my post.

So I guess I'm off to the WoW forums to complain about how the characters are to cartoony or something.
Lt. Commander
# 74
12-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
This thread has opened my eyes about what I'm doing wrong with my gaming time.
See I tried WoW and didn't care for it, so I stopped playing. Now I see what I should have done is kept paying for a game a didn't like. Then since I didn't like playing the game I could instead spend my time in the forums crying about how I don't like the game. And I guess the fun would then come from acting surprised surprised by all the sane people who don't pay for things they don't like responding to my post.

So I guess I'm off to the WoW forums to complain about how the characters are to cartoony or something.
50 cents a day to get out suppressed hostility on a forum, even when personal issues are masked inside of game issues, is far cheaper then a weekly visit to the therapist/psychiatrist.
Lt. Commander
# 75
12-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
50 cents a day to get out suppressed hostility on a forum, even when personal issues are masked inside of game issues, is far cheaper then a weekly visit to the therapist/psychiatrist.
true, true.
Lt. Commander
# 76
12-31-2010, 01:56 PM
I played in the closed beta and hesitated on buying the game because I had a bad feeling as well. I finally got the game as a gift (yay!), but I feel bad because I have not been able to get much play out of it due to constant bugs in the last week or so.

This is very disappointing for me as a hardcore trek fan. This game has a lot of potential and can really help get more people interested in the franchise! But I get the feeling Cryptic wanted to put out a product quickly and the quality has suffered for it.

MMORPGS have bugs. They all do. And there is lots of frustration voiced on these forums abnout the c-store getting priority updates over fixes. If it really bothers you, like it has been bothering me, then take breaks. I'm canceling my subscription at the end of the month (regretfully) to try another MMO, then I will probably return to STO in a couple months in the hopes of seeing some improvement. But as a trekker and gift-receiver this decision was tough and really makes me sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telbasta
I've been playing the game a little over a week now. I had intended to buy it when it first launched, but had a gut feeling that I shouldnt, and the more I play now the more I realize that feeling was right.

My Klingon faction character has just hit lt commander, and as the free ship I chose the somraw raptor, only to find out that it has zero customization options whatsoever. I spent the 40k credits to try out the other two t2 ships, and neither of them have any customization options either.

Klingon missions are severely lacking compared to the Federation side, and while I can understand that it takes time to write out and implement all the new content, but you shouldnt have even released the faction in the state it's currently in.

As an MMORPG, the monthly fee is to be expected, but then you go and charge us on the c-store to get things that should have been included with the game when it shipped. Not only that, but much of the content from the c-store has errors in it - both the Ily and MajQa bridges have model errors where you can see space through the ship's hull (and beyond that, the klingon sickbay on all ships has similar clipping errors in its walls). If you want to charge people for 'extra' stuff that has no real impact on the game and is only for aesthetic value, the least you could do is put in a complete product, not something that was botched together and bugged.

Past the customization and model issues, this game is plagued with crash-to-desktop bugs and server connection loss issues during loading screens. More than a dozen times I've had to restart a mission because of crashes or server disconnects halfway through - on both factions.

To even think that you're working on the Romulan faction already with the state that the Klingons are in is laughable, and I have no doubts that they'll probably be in just as bad a state, wouldnt be surprised if you charged us to play them either.

When a customer buys a product, they expect that product to be in complete, working condition without flaws. When flaws are found, or when the product does not work as advertised, they demand a refund. I'm not sure your company could afford to refund all of the players that have been cheated out of their money here for an inferior product. The least you could do is get your people in gear and focus on fixing the bugs that riddle this game, if it had any more you could probably market STO as an internet ant farm.
Lt. Commander
# 77
12-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spockstarg View Post
.....But I get the feeling Cryptic wanted to put out a product quickly and the quality has suffered for it.

MMORPGS have bugs. They all do. And there is lots of frustration voiced on these forums abnout the c-store getting priority updates over fixes....
Sigh - the game came out when it did because it had to. There was a hard deadline imposed because the previous development house (perpetual) had spent three years screwing around and hadn't gotten anything accomplished. Cryptic only had a year and a half in which to go live or else they would have lost the rights to the IP.

Its been stated about 300,000 times in probably about 2,000 threads that the people who make c-store items are not the people who fix bugs. They are two totally unrelated skillsets. Item makers tend to be graphic artist/creative type computer people. Bug hunters are usually the hardcore software development types. C-store doesn't get priority over updates - they are two separate teams.

Other than that, great post.