Lt. Commander
# 11
12-18-2010, 08:54 AM
If the contest was "Design a starship" it would be so much easier to be "original." The problem is that the Enterprise is an iconic vessel, a well known character of Star Trek. The Enterprise has 2 nacelles, a stardrive section, and a saucer. There's only so many variations on that you can do. At best you try to create different shapes for those parts in an attempt to be original.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Anyone have any more opinions on my ship? Anyone have any of their own ships they'd like to add to this post?
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leea123 View Post
all the pictures look ok, but the problem people are having is that all there ship designs look very simular to other star trek ship, then new Enterprise F contest (which the UK cannot join). needs to be unique and different for all other enterprises in the past.

Please try to make unigue designs
That's OK as a concept, problem is that the devs have already said they want something evolutionary; that is, something that could rationally be part of a design lineage from the Enterprise-E to the Enterprise-J. In some ways, our current Fleet Excorts are already there, with their embedded saucer design - we need something int he cruiser role though, to fit the lineage.

That requirement kinda limits the "uniqueness" of the designs, as we know the J has a saucer, a attached engineering hull, and twin nacelles. While a design lineage isn't necessarily a limiting factor (the apparent "retro" look of the Excelsior-class is testament to that, in fine anyway), the gross is still a twin-nacelle, saucer with engineering hull design that has been maintained.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Glory
Well, I went and did it. I submitted a "Next Enterprise" entry. I'm no artist, but I think you get the idea.

Submission HERE

If you like it, please vote!

Anyone else who wants to post their entry here, please feel free!

Youer design has possibilities; it fits all of Roddenberry's guidelines and can be conceived of as a stepping-stone to the J. Can I ask a few things, though? Not trying to be critical, just trying to wrap my head around a couple of your concepts...

1) As of the end of TNG, Starfleet had shown a trend toward flatter, sleeker designs - culminating in the J, which is almost flat as a pancake from what we could see of it. Why did you choose to have a sword-hilt shaped engineering hull and a conventional dorsal connecting the saucer and the engineering hull? Being again that the trend has been toward "neckless" designs... Now, I agree with shortening and de-empathizing the engineering hull, as that's clearly part of the design lineage - I'm just asking in your case because it makes the ship look a little chunky compared to the flatter Sovereign, which this is supposed to be the next step up from.

2) A minor quibble - your nacelles appear to be above the saucer rim in the side view, but your front view puts them below the saucer rim. Which are we supposed to go with?

I see your ship as a blending of a Excelsior and a Galaxy, with a couple of other concepts thrown in. Not a bad design at all - and I could see that one winning. When it lets me, I'll give ya a star. Using a SR-71 jet intake as a model for the Bussard collector shows some originality, and some understanding of the Bussard concepts - which is a bonus
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaNine
Here's mine, for your viewing pleasure: http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...lery?share=836
That's actually not a bad design at all, melding a Sovereign and a Excelsior that way - I'm just not sure if it's evolutionary enough.

Remember, the contest was to design something in the design lineage between the Sovereign and the Enterprise-J - and I'm not sure your ship would fit as the next step after a Sovereign. (Yes, the Excelsior always had a "retro" feel to me, and IIRC the people over at ILM who designed it did that deliberately).

Other than that quibble, good job!
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Youer design has possibilities; it fits all of Roddenberry's guidelines and can be conceived of as a stepping-stone to the J. Can I ask a few things, though? Not trying to be critical, just trying to wrap my head around a couple of your concepts...

1) As of the end of TNG, Starfleet had shown a trend toward flatter, sleeker designs - culminating in the J, which is almost flat as a pancake from what we could see of it. Why did you choose to have a sword-hilt shaped engineering hull and a conventional dorsal connecting the saucer and the engineering hull? Being again that the trend has been toward "neckless" designs... Now, I agree with shortening and de-empathizing the engineering hull, as that's clearly part of the design lineage - I'm just asking in your case because it makes the ship look a little chunky compared to the flatter Sovereign, which this is supposed to be the next step up from.

2) A minor quibble - your nacelles appear to be above the saucer rim in the side view, but your front view puts them below the saucer rim. Which are we supposed to go with?

I see your ship as a blending of a Excelsior and a Galaxy, with a couple of other concepts thrown in. Not a bad design at all - and I could see that one winning. When it lets me, I'll give ya a star. Using a SR-71 jet intake as a model for the Bussard collector shows some originality, and some understanding of the Bussard concepts - which is a bonus
1) To be honest, it's my own personal preference that I went away from the newer bullet-shaped designs. One of the reasons they did away with the neck between the saucer and stardrive section for the Sovereign is because when they tried to elongate the saucer, it ended up looking bird-like. Removing the neck fixed that. In my design I tried to keep more traditional layout because I like how it looked.

2) You're right. I caught that right after I submitted my image. The nacelles need to be lower on the profile view, and further apart on the front view.

Thanks for the input!
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
That's actually not a bad design at all, melding a Sovereign and a Excelsior that way - I'm just not sure if it's evolutionary enough.

Remember, the contest was to design something in the design lineage between the Sovereign and the Enterprise-J - and I'm not sure your ship would fit as the next step after a Sovereign. (Yes, the Excelsior always had a "retro" feel to me, and IIRC the people over at ILM who designed it did that deliberately).

Other than that quibble, good job!
I have to disagree with you here, I think its a great design. Its obviously a step up from the Sovereign and at the same time has a tip of the hat to past iconic ships. Not everything has to be "forget the past its all about the future" here. The great thing about Star Trek is how they continue to go back to proven designs that work. Not only do I see that ship as the next Enterprise, I see it as something anyone with a love for ST Cruisers would water at the mouth to fly in-game.

I dont even fly cruisers and Id definitely get rid of one of my other ships for a Cosmos Class if I could.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Okay so I edited mine and I tried to streamline it and clean it up.
Intervention -class

History:
Due to Starfleet's ever growing needs of advanced capable ships out on the battlefield, the Starfleet corps of engineers have come together to design the Intervention -class. Primarily a tactical ship designed to counter the larger and more powerful ships of the Klingons, Romulans, and Borg. The ship boasts two smaller shuttle bays and a large one along with a docking pad on it's aft. This pad is large enough of carrying two runabouts or two attack fighters or even smaller alien craft/freighters. The Intervention class carries 340 torpedoes, has six torpedo bays, along with 18 phaser banks. The Intervention class is as powerful as two galaxy class starships and 1 and 2/3 larger then a Galaxy class.

Although primarily a combat ship, it boasts a large science department and carries a lot of the same medical equipment a small star base has. It is well designed as an exploration craft for after war missions.

Attributes:
The saucer can separate from the rest of the ship and the impulse engines extend out slightly to form smaller pylons.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-18-2010, 08:32 PM
im getting irritated with this thing. i keep trying to upload my design and when its done "uploading" my picture, it shows my name under someone else's design ... not cool... its done it 3 or 4 times now.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Here is the design me and a friend came up with:

http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...ord=David%20M.

I took design influences from the later ships (Intrepid/Sovereign/Nova/Prometheus) and blended them together while adding a few unique features. To me it follows the direction that the Producers/Starfleet Design Bureau were going with their ships, the triangular primary hull/saucer, sleek stream-lined secondary hull/ engineering hull with "neckless" design.

I also tried to give hints at the Enterprise J, with long sweeping pylons and a more streamlined nacelle, but with four classes between the F and J, I felt that I couldn't use it too much (look at the variance between A and D).

The rough size would be slightly larger than the star cruisers too, both for adding awe inspiring presence of the ship and to start its way onto the size of the Ent J (3000km :S ).

I haven't come up with any system or tactical statistics, as being in the game I think it would be restricted to what is available and should the class ever come a Fleet Admiral ship for players to use it would be limited for balance reasons. But visually there are eight forward beam arrays and two rear, with room for torpedo launchers, though itd depend on balance for that tier level.

I spent a lot of hours working on it, and I am no artist but I think it came out quite well for something done in Paint, and look forward to any comments you guys have (good or bad).