Lt. Commander
# 11
12-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I'd miss them. My hope is that DSEs will eventually evolve into different types of ransom missions in Sector Space. So you're flying through sector space and get pulled out of warp by a Space Amoeba, or you're flying through space and encounter President Lincoln on a throne, or you're flying through space and get trapped in a Cosmic String, or you're encounter a derelict that you need to bored and investigate, and so on, including encountering hostile Factions.

I think the current DSEs are just the tip of the iceberg for what they can be.

...President Lincoln on a throne

jeez TOS had some silly Aliens.

If they want to scare me they should show Angela Merkel with Guido Westerwelle in Space.

no no no...
i have nothing against random encounters.
But i hate random loading screens while i fiddle arround in my inventory while i fly from A to B.

It's just that a random loading screen, because i gonna warp out ASAP anyway.

At least at Vice Admiral they ignore you all.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
If it was some cool spatial anomalies or something for me to investigate and give me xp for then I'm all for it. But just sucking me into some mindless killing spree isn't fun. I'm already doing mindless killing in the normal missions. It's not like these deep space encounters are 'breaking up' the monotony.
I think they should either be made into enemies you fight in sector space, in which case SS needs a tweak to allow for warp and non-warp movement.

My approach is:

Make DSE contacts into enemies that spawn IN sector space, tough single enemies. Also, increase the number of them. These enemy engagements would be potentially more common and less level restricted but shorter, since it's just a single enemy that pulls you out of moving. No fleet of enemies. No load screens. Just one enemy.

Increase the number of random vendors. Create a signature item that is only sold at each vendor. Include some sort of limited supply incentive item that randomly spawns on space vendors.

Increase the size of sector space by a factor of 5.

Increase player speed by a factor of 5 when warp speed is engaged. Warp would be a copy/paste of full impulse from system space, for the most part. No weapons, fast movement. Without warp engaged, you're just moving at impulse through a (not to scale but big) persistent zone with enemies.

The enemy kill missions would be changed. Since DSEs are no longer a separate map, the mission is to kill, say, 25 enemies in sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I'd miss them. My hope is that DSEs will eventually evolve into different types of ransom missions in Sector Space. So you're flying through sector space and get pulled out of warp by a Space Amoeba, or you're flying through space and encounter President Lincoln on a throne, or you're flying through space and get trapped in a Cosmic String, or you're encounter a derelict that you need to bored and investigate, and so on, including encountering hostile Factions.

I think the current DSEs are just the tip of the iceberg for what they can be.
Yes, I agree Cosmic. It would be great to have them trigger UGC missions too.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-18-2010, 11:01 AM
I utterly totally HATE DSE's. Every single time I get sucked into one of these retarded things I file a bug report. I always state these have to be a bug because no one in their right mind would do this moronic junk on purpose. That would be stupid. I have asked hundreds if not thousands of people in the last 10 months and have not found one single person who likes them. They suck you in 30 times trying to fly somewhere. BUT when you actually have a mission to use them, good luck getting in. You have to ram into them 50 times to finally get in one. As far as I'm concerned they could throw them in the trash where they belonged from day one.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-18-2010, 11:12 AM
wait until you finish all your story mission and patrol missions. for hating them i bet ill see people in em. i dont hate em. a minor annoyance that i dont mind because i tend to pay attention in sector space.

if and when i do get sucked in sometimes im glad because it will be like 8 out of 9 and then yay free skill points. then leave.

or go rush over and help out that other Capt. who is being swarmed. Its not much but I happen to enjoy those "whew ty" i get occasionally when saving someone/or a group who thought they could take the flagship and well were having a hard time doing it.

i say make a insanely loud annoying optional sound that goes off when a dse is about to engage you , for those people who dont pay attention in sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-18-2010, 11:26 AM
We really need to be adding content and features, not removing them.
If they're annoying, they need a fix, but I don't think "complete removal" is the correct approach. Sector space feels sterile without them.

There's a number of ways you can avoid such encounters, start by not using automatic navigation to the next system. Fly at the ceiling of sector space, or see if you can find someone to give you a "Diplomatic Immunity" buff before you head out.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh
We really need to be adding content and features, not removing them.
If they're annoying, they need a fix, but I don't think "complete removal" is the correct approach. Sector space feels sterile without them.

There's a number of ways you can avoid such encounters, start by not using automatic navigation to the next system. Fly at the ceiling of sector space, or see if you can find someone to give you a "Diplomatic Immunity" buff before you head out.
Yes there are a number of ways to avoid them, but an easier solution would make them ignore people and we could CHOOSE to enter them instead of having the fly straight at me and suck me in. So auto navigation, which is an awesome feature, should be avoided so I'm not sucked into a DSE? Meh, just make them option. I never want to do them ever again for any reason.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-18-2010, 11:32 AM
And I might add that a 'killing zone' is not 'content'.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I think making them optional is better than no change at all but it does defeat the point of them, which I think is to add the feeling of danger to sector space and to avoid it just being a "gryphon ride"/"train service" between missions.

So instead of fighting 15 ships or warping out of a DSE ASAP, I'd really just rather have the occasional quick fight IN sector space, no loadscreens. No armadas.

Just, bam, I get tagged by an enemy and spend 30 seconds fighting them and anyone who passes by can join in and start dogpiling that one enemy to help me resume my travels.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehra
Yes there are a number of ways to avoid them, but an easier solution would make them ignore people and we could CHOOSE to enter them instead of having the fly straight at me and suck me in. So auto navigation, which is an awesome feature, should be avoided so I'm not sucked into a DSE? Meh, just make them option. I never want to do them ever again for any reason.
I think the point is the game requires players to pay attention when in Sector Space just as a real starship captain would. Too many people have this idea that Sector Space is nothing more then where you need to be between missions. Sector Space isn't where you're supposed to be clearing your inventory (a Starbase is) or letting your ship fly around in circles while you go and get some tea. It's an active part of the game just like everything else and needs to be treated as such. If you want to avoid the dangers of Sector Space you need to actively avoid them. Not auto-pilot avoid them.