Lt. Commander
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/17/fl...r-name-in-sto/

According to the article when our toons hit Fleet Admiral Cryptic will let us command our own mini-fleets the same way we command our away teams (although in my day we called them Landing Parties). I like this idea in that it'll be useful for much higher powered missions and more thought provoking play. I have one request though:

Let those fleets we command be composed of the other ships in our toon's possession.

I miss seeing some of my lower level ships in action since they are too miserably underpowered to handle my VA ranked missions. If they weren't then I'd be probably be flying my constitution class almost constantly.

Now, the fast thinkers in the crowd will have already figured out some exploits like ditching all the lower powered ships in their fleets for VA level ships and equipping them all with purple grade parts. I think Cryptic is staffed with people fast thinking enough to figure out how to nerf griefers like that without ruining the game for everyone else.

The other request I would have is that we get to choose which of our bridge officer toons get promoted to captain and will take over those old ships in our personal fleets.

I think that would help to not only further personalize the game but also let us mix and match abilities and vessels better.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-18-2010, 08:51 AM
im not a big fan

its been suggested fleet amdiral would get "pet" lower tier ships ...this will clog the screen up even more..imagine if photonic fleet was set off at same time..gah

i want to control one ship and one ship only , i will not be made a desk jockey admiral
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-18-2010, 08:54 AM
If it is optional then it isn't a bad thing. If you don't want to take advantage of it then you don't have to.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-18-2010, 09:11 AM
I get the feeling it is something that will only come into play under certain conditions like specific missions and specific zones only.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Sounds like a great idea to me
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xceptionzero View Post
im not a big fan

its been suggested fleet amdiral would get "pet" lower tier ships ...this will clog the screen up even more..imagine if photonic fleet was set off at same time..gah

i want to control one ship and one ship only , i will not be made a desk jockey admiral

Fine, but don't ruin it for the rest of us.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-18-2010, 09:42 AM
This will help to extend STO's lifespan.

I can't wait for that!
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-18-2010, 09:47 AM
I like the idea of being able to do this in order to solo STF's. I vastly prefer to solo, and as such have not even attempted an STF. With a group of ships under my officers' control, I might have a shot.

In missions below that however, I don't see the point. They have been scripted with one player ship in mind and so only missions meant for multiple players will have any relevance to this
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-18-2010, 10:27 AM
It is my hope when they do this that the rank of Commodore will finally be implemented. Additionally, that they limit the number of ship in the task-force to three including the flagship. Then if things are not really bad operationally for the majority of players maybe increase it by one ship.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperator_Nick View Post
I like the idea of being able to do this in order to solo STF's. I vastly prefer to solo, and as such have not even attempted an STF. With a group of ships under my officers' control, I might have a shot.

In missions below that however, I don't see the point. They have been scripted with one player ship in mind and so only missions meant for multiple players will have any relevance to this
Its possible that future admiral mission content will be tailored to admirals in command of fleets. At least some of them. I see this fleet command in this manner more than using it to solo play missions already specifically geared for team play (STFs). Though being able to do that would be nice too.