Lt. Commander
# 1 A Cash Shop AND P2P?!?
12-18-2010, 11:47 AM
Ok, I've been playing this for awhile, so I'm no stranger to the game. Why bother having a cash shop at the same time as make everyone pay to play it? Seriously, it's like we're being ***** not once but twice. I keep hopeing for it, but just not seeing it. For this game to go to F2P. Don't worry folks, I won't be holding my breath on this. But just be mindful of how much more your spending each moth for a game that takes little to no time to get to max level, and then your just sitting in orbit waiting for a group to start so you can finish up those two end game missions. (I for one got tired of people quitting either as we got started, or midway through so I never got to finish any of them.)

Question for Cryptic: How you guys likeing those gold ladden pockets of yours? Yeah, some of us have done the math. Greedy bastiges.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-18-2010, 12:07 PM
even WoW has a item shop. Most P2P MMO's have an item shop now. Subscription prices have not changed in a decade, and instead of changing the sub prices, companies are now adding these item shops. So instead of forcing you to pay more, they give you the option. There is nothing in the C-Store that gives you an advantage over another.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-18-2010, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't know about what Blizzard has beyond their lame attempt to make the old world look new again. In either case, in my opinion. If they're going to use a cash shop, why not put something useful in there besides tribbles? May as well go all out in this case.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Many people find the idea of buying "useful" items to be dangerous: IE, the people with the most money would have all the best gear. To avoid that the C-Store only sells fluff items that have no, or only minor, impact on game play. That's the best way to balance out a game that caters to those with a lot of disposable income and those with very little.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-18-2010, 12:25 PM
but if they add anything in there that would really effect the game besides aesthetic appeal there would be a huge uproar from the community. Then people would be forced to pay more money to be able to have good gear or good ships. I like the way cryptic uses the C-Store (well they have made some bad timing decisions on certain items) and I also love the fact that you can earn most of those rewards in game without paying a cent. Some people find the stuff in the C-Store to be awesome. I personally have purchased some costumes, bridge packs, and even some emotes. Being a lifetime member, I like to continue to contribute to the game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Nobody is making you buy anything from the C-Store.

And we were already told that STO isn't going F2P because of the agreement with CBS.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
And we were already told that STO isn't going F2P because of the agreement with CBS.
Nothing has ever been mentioned about the agreement with CBS and why STO won't go F2P. That's simply fan speculation.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Nobody is making you buy anything from the C-Store.
Exactly. Personally I pretty much just ignore the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Nothing like a little post-mortem equine flagellation .
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Nothing has ever been mentioned about the agreement with CBS and why STO won't go F2P. That's simply fan speculation.
Whatever the case or not, we have official comments that STO isn't going F2P anytime soon, which is a good thing.