Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
12-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Whatever the case or not, we have official comments that STO isn't going F2P anytime soon, which is a good thing.
In fairness that could change very easily at almost any time.

Like the time 3DO justified charging people $30/month to player Meridian (almost 3x the previous price) by claiming they were developing another online game and using those funds to do so. Suprise suprise, no such development ever went into production.

The moral of the story is just because a company says something doesn't mean its accurate.

Time will tell in this case.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
12-19-2010, 08:55 PM
STO isn't a big game, and it would likely have a hard time paying for itself on subscriptions alone; especially given how many lifers there are. The devs need money to keep adding content at the rate that they are; but raising the sub fee would only drive people away. So we have a cash shop.

Every little helps.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
12-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Oh, this thread again.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVargazm
Oh, this thread again.
It is 4 days old.

It is not "Oh, this thread again.".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
12-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat
It is 4 days old.

It is not "Oh, this thread again.".
Yes, this thread again. What he meant was this is not the first time people have voiced these same ideas and worries, and probably won't be the last.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
12-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Also there is a search function. Maybe before starting your new revolutionary thread you could use it and find out if it's all been said 1000 times before.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
12-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit View Post
even WoW has a item shop
Yes and no, they do sell a few vanity pets and one mount, and you can not access it ingame. And they certainly do not spend equal amount of time releasing new useless crap on it as Cryptic does.

Cryptic on the other hand have actually fooled enough ppl with their item shop to make it a GREAT cash hog for them.

The more we buy from the C-store the less REAL content we will get because they will just spend increasingly more time on new and useless stuff for the C-store that we by all rights should have gotten for free because we already pay subs!

Cryptic still does not have a dedicated team for the c-store content, they still use the regular devs and thus waste precious time there instead of having every dev being devoted to the proper updates that we are so sorely lacking.

Look at season 3 for a prime example, yes there is a few decent things in there but the vast majority of it were either fluff or mission replay and some "fun for the first time" missions in Pi Canis....

And now they have the audacity to release the foundry, further reducing the need for THEM to make content for us, and on top of that they make us PAY to use it!?!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
12-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgald View Post
Yes and no, they do sell a few vanity pets and one mount, and you can not access it ingame. And they certainly do not spend equal amount of time releasing new useless crap on it as Cryptic does.

Cryptic on the other hand have actually fooled enough ppl with their item shop to make it a GREAT cash hog for them.

The more we buy from the C-store the less REAL content we will get because they will just spend increasingly more time on new and useless stuff for the C-store that we by all rights should have gotten for free because we already pay subs!

Cryptic still does not have a dedicated team for the c-store content, they still use the regular devs and thus waste precious time there instead of having every dev being devoted to the proper updates that we are so sorely lacking.

Look at season 3 for a prime example, yes there is a few decent things in there but the vast majority of it were either fluff or mission replay and some "fun for the first time" missions in Pi Canis....

And now they have the audacity to release the foundry, further reducing the need for THEM to make content for us, and on top of that they make us PAY to use it!?!
oh the humanity!!!! People have been asking for a UGC since pre launch. People want to make their own star trek missions. Let them, gives us more content. No where have the devs said that they will stop making content. They will continue to do the weekly missions. which is unseen in any other MMO. And before you say it, the only reason they are not having weekly missions in December is because of season 3 (bug fixes and what not, which we have seen several of), and because many people take time off work because it is the holidays. Yes thats correct, the devs are people too, and they take time off of work, and thats something we have to deal with.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
12-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgald View Post
Yes and no, they do sell a few vanity pets and one mount, and you can not access it ingame. And they certainly do not spend equal amount of time releasing new useless crap on it as Cryptic does.
As someone who spent 5 months playtesting Cataclysm for Blizzard I think we have a very different idea of what useless crap is.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
12-24-2010, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgald View Post
....And now they have the audacity to release the foundry, further reducing the need for THEM to make content for us, and on top of that they make us PAY to use it!?!
This really is the same old thread again. I don't know how anyone who is this unhappy with a product would keep spending money on it. This is a game. It is supposed to be fun. Anyone who isn't having fun should stop paying for it.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:50 PM.