Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
This really ticks me off big time. I finish a mission and get to choose between 3 kits.I as a captain already have one, but My science officer doesn't. So I choose a kit for my science officer. Then what do I find out.I CAN'T EQUIP MY SCIENCE OFFICER WITH A SCIENCE OFFICER KIT !!!!! Huh? What kind of game is this Cryptic/? Why get rewards you can't use/ go figure
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-18-2010, 12:57 PM
All gear in the game is rank and Mark limited. Lieutenants can only use Mk 1 or Mk 2 gear. Lt. Cmdrs can use up to Mk 3 and Mk 4 gear. Commanders can use up to Mk 5 and Mk 6 gear, and so on. You can't give your Lieutenant a higher Mk gear and expect him to use it. This was all covered in the Tutorial.

Edit: If you are talking about your Science BO, they don't get kits. Their special abilities that you spend Merits on for them for are their Kits. If you train a Science BO in healing it's assumed he has a healing Kit to do the healing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Kits are for players only, you can't give them to your Bridge Officers. You select abilities for your BOffs by training them at the bridge officer trainer in ESD, for example.

Was that what you meant, or where you talking about giving it to one of your other characters?

In that case you'll have to mail it, of course, and make sure its the correct level.

edit: Oops, Cosmic_One beat me to it
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Actually the reason is because BOffs don't use kits. They get ground powers via their skills.

Kits are for PCs only.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-18-2010, 01:36 PM
I understand about the kits, but I routinely give my BO's the best equipment and weapons I can get which is one rank higher than them and they appear to be using it?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thlaylie View Post
I understand about the kits, but I routinely give my BO's the best equipment and weapons I can get which is one rank higher than them and they appear to be using it?
The gear level is based on YOU not what rank the boff is.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
The gear level is based on YOU not what rank the boff is.
Further, they don't get the same level of benefit from those items as they would if they were that rank. For example, if I give one of my BOs (who are all Commander level) a MK XI item, they're not going to get all the stats from that item but they will be able to equip/use it (just at a reduced level of effectiveness, probably on par with their actual rank).
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Kits give your Captain BO skills. Your BO's ground skills give them stuff that can be done in kits. But your Captain skills don't give you abilities, but how well abilities work.

Face it, your captain has been sitting in that chair so long he forgot how to do anything on an away team if he didn't have a kit to help him out.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Kits for the character, none for the BOffs. I'm pretty sure it is in the manual - LOL!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-21-2010, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyMac View Post
Kits for the character, none for the BOffs. I'm pretty sure it is in the manual - LOL!!!!!!
It's certainly in the tutorial.