Lt. Commander
# 1 I want to Stayy logged in!!!!!!
12-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Just what I said. I would like to be able to stay logged in. Please if you want this please reply, I am also requesting a poll be made thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-19-2010, 10:10 AM
The last thing we need is a bunch of people that never log off clogging up sector space and ESD/Qonos etc.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-19-2010, 10:17 AM
well i like the idea cuz im on the forums and come back to find myself logged, I hate it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-19-2010, 10:27 AM
In between forum times pop back to the game and move your character. That will keep you logged in.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-19-2010, 10:37 AM
15 minutes is not an unreasonable AFK timer.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-19-2010, 10:41 AM
we dont need a afk timer.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keigetsu
we dont need a afk timer.
why don't we?
we've got atleast one reason why we do need it from rednecktrek, it clogs up the server.

if you're not actually playing the game then why do you need to be logged into it?
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keigetsu
Just what I said. I would like to be able to stay logged in. Please if you want this sign, I am also requesting a poll be made thank you.
No. Just, no. Even if you are not doing anything, your character is still being tracked by the server, taking up resources. That's why most MMOs have a AFK timer, where you are automatically logged out after a period of inactivity - to free up the resources that YOU so selfishy want to hog for convenience's sake.

Doesn't take that much to type a password and hit the PLAY button on character select...and in doing so you ensure that the resources needed to track your character are available for use while you're AFK - speeding up the game just a leetle bit for the rest of us.

"Given that STO is low-pop right now, why not fdisable the timer?" - That's the key phrase - RIGHT NOW. Imagine the furor that would happen if they removed the timer now, then a year or so later having to put it back due to pop increases? Servers cost money, ya know - and for MMO_caliber servers, that's a LOT of money.

Really, your request is a product of laziness and/or unfamiliarity with other MMOs - given the effects it CAN have, no. Just, no.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-19-2010, 10:58 AM
first, we need the afk timer. I won't sign that. However its super annoying we have to log off just to switch characters. please allow us a character switch screen while logged in.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikoy
first, we need the afk timer. I won't sign that. However its super annoying we have to log off just to switch characters. please allow us a character switch screen while logged in.
While it's annoying, there's a reason for it - to limit the damage done by account thieves AND to be able to track when such things happen - as a account thief will rapidly switch characters, sell the gear, and mail the credits to a third account. Forcing a login between each character select not only slows that process down a tad, it (usually) will cause a red flag on the account immediately and disable ANY login until the damage can be accessed. That's the way it's done in most MMOs (save the free-to-play ones),
I think Cryptic does it too, we've had provlems like that happen since beta.

So, annoying as it is, I really can']t support circumventing a security measure for convenience's sake. In WoW someone tried to do that to my account - after it had been inactivated for three years! - and thanks to that security measure, the account was recovered the way it was. I still don't play WoW - but I know if I do, my characters will be (ralatively) safe.
Closed Thread