Lt. Commander
# 11
12-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
While it's annoying, there's a reason for it - to limit the damage done by account thieves AND to be able to track when such things happen - as a account thief will rapidly switch characters, sell the gear, and mail the credits to a third account. Forcing a login between each character select not only slows that process down a tad, it (usually) will cause a red flag on the account immediately and disable ANY login until the damage can be accessed. That's the way it's done in most MMOs (save the free-to-play ones),
I think Cryptic does it too, we've had provlems like that happen since beta.

So, annoying as it is, I really can']t support circumventing a security measure for convenience's sake. In WoW someone tried to do that to my account - after it had been inactivated for three years! - and thanks to that security measure, the account was recovered the way it was. I still don't play WoW - but I know if I do, my characters will be (ralatively) safe.
Actually, WoW lets you log off one character and onto another one without having to re-enter your password. As for being hacked, WoW is one of the better games with getting things back. I don't know how STO would handle it, but in wow they'll even restore things you "accidentally" sold/deleted, as long as they can find a record of you actually owning the item.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Girlfirend deletes guy's WoW characters and items.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5bozYf5JUo
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-19-2010, 01:05 PM
People really do come up with crazy things to complain about.:p
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keigetsu
Just what I said. I would like to be able to stay logged in. Please if you want this sign, I am also requesting a poll be made thank you.
sorry but if you are not playing the game they are no need to stay logged... No need to add a load to the server because you can take a few second to log back...

I will not sign or add my voice to your request...
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
In between forum times pop back to the game and move your character. That will keep you logged in.
Not even that much. ALT-TAB back and click the mouse anywhere on the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
While it's annoying, there's a reason for it - to limit the damage done by account thieves AND to be able to track when such things happen - as a account thief will rapidly switch characters, sell the gear, and mail the credits to a third account. Forcing a login between each character select not only slows that process down a tad, it (usually) will cause a red flag on the account immediately and disable ANY login until the damage can be accessed. That's the way it's done in most MMOs (save the free-to-play ones),
I think Cryptic does it too, we've had provlems like that happen since beta.

So, annoying as it is, I really can']t support circumventing a security measure for convenience's sake. In WoW someone tried to do that to my account - after it had been inactivated for three years! - and thanks to that security measure, the account was recovered the way it was. I still don't play WoW - but I know if I do, my characters will be (ralatively) safe.
It's a largely ineffective security measure since it doesn't actually work. If it does, my account would've been tagged months ago since I do the exact thing you noted, every time I'm ingame. I mail items to another account, sell stuff in my inventory, and swap characters sometimes a dozen times in a half hour, doing all of the above.

If someone has your login info, alt-v to get back in isn't an insurmountable obstacle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Three-Five-Nine
Girlfirend deletes guy's WoW characters and items.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5bozYf5JUo
*yawn* Is this news? Girlfriend, parent, sibling, it happens all the time in games with and without logging to character select. Going all the way back to EverQuest 1's heyday this happened. In fact, the game that brought Cryptic to the dance, so to speak, just rolled out logging out to character select. Oh boy, I guess we can look forward to tons of hacked accounts now, huh?

For the OP, just logout and back in to the character select screen if you're going to be AFK for a while. There doesn't seem to be a timer for that.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-19-2010, 11:18 PM
well i don't want you to stay logged in..

there is several reasons the afk timer is good.

-afkers in pvp.
- afkers everywhere else.

like others have already said, if your not playing then there is no reason for you to be logged in.
it's not that hard to logg in again.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Well I feel part of what you pay for is to be able to login for as long as you like. But if they feel we can not use all the server time we pay for then please make it 1 hour at least.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keigetsu
Well I feel part of what you pay for is to be able to login for as long as you like. But if they feel we can not use all the server time we pay for then please make it 1 hour at least.
you CAN be logged in for as long as you like, you just have to actually be playing the game.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Why do you need to stay logged in if you're not playing? How long does it take to log in again anyway? 30 seconds? If you're worried about losing 30 seconds of your time, you probably have bigger things to worry about than STO.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Do we have to tap a key to stay logged in to the internet lol. I am just saying we pay for 30 days of server access, let us stay logged in as long as we like with in that time, we are paying for it. Also As I said earlier at least give us a 1 hour window.
Closed Thread