Lt. Commander
# 21
12-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
While it's annoying, there's a reason for it - to limit the damage done by account thieves AND to be able to track when such things happen - as a account thief will rapidly switch characters, sell the gear, and mail the credits to a third account. Forcing a login between each character select not only slows that process down a tad, it (usually) will cause a red flag on the account immediately and disable ANY login until the damage can be accessed. That's the way it's done in most MMOs (save the free-to-play ones),
I think Cryptic does it too, we've had provlems like that happen since beta.

So, annoying as it is, I really can']t support circumventing a security measure for convenience's sake. In WoW someone tried to do that to my account - after it had been inactivated for three years! - and thanks to that security measure, the account was recovered the way it was. I still don't play WoW - but I know if I do, my characters will be (ralatively) safe.
Yeah wow let's you move into a character screen without logging off. I'd love to see this implemented in STO. I fail to see how making us re-enter our log in info cuts down on theft. I can see this preventing your roomate,gf,sibling,ext... from steeling all your character's items if you forget to log off and they where able to pull off their heist before the afk feature logged you off. But if someone has truly hacked your account then they have your username and password already anyway. All this "security feature" does is make It a tad bit annoying for this more common and destructive type of thief. I've logged in and out in between my characters multiple times in STO and was not given any warning and never had my account disabled due to suspicious behavior. Also one cannot mail credits in STO. So as far as I can tell this "security feature" does more for the annoyance factor then offer security. If they are so concerned about people leaving the game logged in and walking away. Then allow this additional security be optional for those who live in a house where this might happen or play often in gaming centers.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-20-2010, 09:35 AM
While I fully understand and accept the resource aspect, I discount the security argument. Moreover sometime time ago it was articulated by the devs (during beta I think) that they will not return anything. Personally I have experience this once several months ago with a server restart after finishing a mission a couple minutes prior to the shut down but I digress...

Anyway, if one has access to the account password effectively nothing is protected. So to me the security argument is a non sequitur or it is simply DoA. Nonetheless I do think 30 minutes would be more reasonable before auto disconnects.

I'm also in the camp of being able to switch toons from within the game easily and not dealing with the whole logout/in process to be frank.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Spartan View Post
Moreover sometime time ago it was articulated by the devs (during beta I think) that they will not return anything.
If this is true, then that is awful. Why wouldn't they have a system in place to protect thier clients in the event of their account being compromised. Granted some people ask for it when they buy gold/ECs online. But some account thefts happen despite the best efforts to secure your info. I would hope that cryptic has some kind of garentee in place for this.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikoy
If this is true, then that is awful. Why wouldn't they have a system in place to protect thier clients in the event of their account being compromised. Granted some people ask for it when they buy gold/ECs online. But some account thefts happen despite the best efforts to secure your info. I would hope that cryptic has some kind of garentee in place for this.

For what it is worth, I dont thing things were framed in the "account theft" perspective but more in the "accidentally deleted', 'server crash' and "mistakenly sold" or "oops I equipped the wrong item" variety but I could be wrong...
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keigetsu
we dont need a afk timer.
Yes, we do. If you're actively playing the game, that's fine. If you're browsing the next, and can't be bothered to <ALT><TAB> back into STO to move your character a foot or two once every 30 minutes to clear the AFK flag, the server doesn't need your avatar increasing the server load and using bandwith.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikoy
first, we need the afk timer. I won't sign that. However its super annoying we have to log off just to switch characters. please allow us a character switch screen while logged in.
Now that is a lucid thought become reasonable suggestion.
Most any other MMO allows you to return the the character selection screen without logging out. That is a feature i miss playing STO.

As far as the AFK timer issue, it is there for a reason. 15 minutes is a fair length of time, some MMOs go for 5 minute warning 10 minute boot. If you are not playing or chatting, then log off.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Do we have to tap a key to stay logged in to the internet lol. I am just saying we pay for 30 days of server access, let us stay logged in as long as we like with in that time, we are paying for it. Also As I said earlier at least give us a 1 hour window.
no, internet does not have a timer.

however, this is a game, a game that can be exploited without an afk timer.

just as skills can affect gameplay, so can afk'ers that could stay logged in indefinatly.
tribble testing weekends is one example, how many woulnt just logg in and stay logged in during the entire weekend just so that they could get a reward for doing nothing?

same goes for pvp.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Sounds like someone just wants to stay logged in to farm XP, i.e. go into a space encounter, fly to the edge of a map and score all the xp from others doing the work, come back once an hour pick the same mission and farm again.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtoken View Post
Sounds like someone just wants to stay logged in to farm XP, i.e. go into a space encounter, fly to the edge of a map and score all the xp from others doing the work, come back once an hour pick the same mission and farm again.
The insult is not needed, I have no reason to farm anything. I just think we are paying for 30 days of server access and should get what are paying for. And how long someone stays logged in is their business. At the very least I'd like to see a one hour timer or boot to character selection screen for those with more then one captain.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Quote:
The insult is not needed, I have no reason to farm anything. I just think we are paying for 30 days of server access and should get what are paying for. And how long someone stays logged in is their business. At the very least I'd like to see a one hour timer or boot to character selection screen for those with more then one captain.
And as i've stated previously you can do that, you can be online for the entire month non-stop, just so long as you're actually participating in some fashion.

you're still yet to answer the question of why you need to be online in the game when you're not actually playing. Having the game up when not playing accomplishes nothing other than burning out your graphics card and CPU.
Closed Thread