Lt. Commander
# 1 playing the demo
12-06-2010, 11:49 PM
from what i can tell space combat is just a wow skin.
no system repair.

i was hoping for more of a multiplayer simulation.

but i do thank the company for the demo maybe if it go's free to play ill play it.
but for me it's not worth a monthly subscription or even a 30 price for the box if it was a single player game.

from what i have seen it is just an wow or linage 2 clone with star trek look and names.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-07-2010, 04:51 AM
The mechanics of the game have very few similarities to WoW, actually, beyond how quests work.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-07-2010, 05:28 AM
The demo hooked me. Totally different game than the cookie-cutters on the market. Glad they put that up or I may have never given it a chance at all.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-07-2010, 05:57 AM
Honestly, if your going by the demo...your not getting the full feel of the game...even Cryptic says the demo is kinda blah.

I seriously hope your not basing your decision off of soley the demo......

That just wouldnt do the game justice imo.
Lt. Commander
You can pick the game form Amazon.com for like 15$USD that includes the shipping and that for the collector's edition. I know people how order just for the extras.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Onli.../dp/B002V1PTO8
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-07-2010, 08:52 AM
i'll try it again.
i guess i was just hoping for more sim aspects in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-07-2010, 09:01 AM
I played during the Open Beta and simply my pathetic (although lovely specs) Laptop just made the game seem horrible. Finally i have a full refund and a silly amount of repairs and have recently brought an i7 2.66, 8gb Ram Macbook Pro. I decide to try the demo as a benchmark to see how things would run and my word, what a difference. I've added a monthly sub since and likely as i get my Student Loan in January, will be adding a Life Time Subscription to my account. With me doing my degree at the moment, i don't have a great deal of time to play, yet i never feel like i am left behind. After 5 years of WoW, the change has been great.
The game has its flaws and bugs, but the team have done so much work in my time away from the game. With Season 3 fast approaching, and the fact that no other MMO rivals the incredible space combat engine employed in STO, its a good time to be playing. If Cyptic maintain their thoughts and plans, the future is very bright indeed.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-07-2010, 10:44 AM
ok i have completed the demo a few graphics glitches i contribute to my hp laptop driver.
of course hp wont ever update the drivers.
i will have to think about the expenses money is very tight right now. but i think the is good for an space mmo
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Space is where this game really shines. The ground gameplay isn't that great, although they are going to revamp it in the next big content patch.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castogere View Post
Honestly, if your going by the demo...your not getting the full feel of the game...even Cryptic says the demo is kinda blah.

I seriously hope your not basing your decision off of soley the demo......

That just wouldn't do the game justice imo.
So he should spend 30 bucks to find out he doesn't like the game instead? I think the demo gives you a good feel of what you can expect from the game. It shows you what almost all space missions will feel like, what all ground missions will feel like. How much different is PVP than PVE missions? I have to agree that the game feels really much like a single player game with other players just running around. I have played since beta and bought the CE, played for 2 month and called it quits. The game play you experience within the first 2 hours of STO is essentially the same as it is a month or two into it. There is no major progression in the missions, or anything to keep people playing, at least in my opinion. The game itself plays nice, combat is smooth, space combat is fast enough paced so it doesn't feel like a boring boat battle in space, but it has enough strategy to not be as straight forward as "point and shoot", which I like. I think the game engine looks fine, the art style is a little too "cartoony" for my personal taste, but the environments, textures, lightning, shadows, bump maps, etc make up for it.

Basically from what I have seen, this game is a single player game. There is nothing that motivates me to group, and there is nothing else beyond "beam down to this planet, help these people, kill these aliens, beam back up, repeat". It is a fun game to play, but I wouldn't pay $15 a month when there are other F2P mmo's out there that are just as good, even though they aren't star trek, that have more content and depth. Granted the stuff they have been adding is great, and is the right direction for the game. So in a year from now? 3 years maybe, when the game is bigger and possibly has more mission types, I may pay.

But as far as the demo goes, what is the demo missing that the full game has? Oh yeah bridges and ship interiors....that is a big deal there.