Lt. Commander
# 1 To all Enterprise F entrants:
12-19-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm sorry, I just have to say it... looking through all these entries there does't seem to be one shred of originality in any of these.

A LOT of them are just galaxy/sovereign class ships with slight modifications, but obviously still largly resembling the original design; make this part bigger, add a few more nacelles, put a few gun turrets there...

Quite a few of them seem to have been copied from the Star Trek Ship Creator, just adding parts and passing it off as their own.

Then there are those that just don't even bother trying, I mean really. I'm not talking about the ones submitted by sketching with pencil and paper, I mean the ones like it is most definatly the Enterprise E just photoshoped pink, or very nice drawing of the Enterprise A... really people!?

Seen one or two stolen works, particularly the person who submitted the USS Aventine from the Ships of the Line calander.

And another few that just don't even look Federation in design.

Nearly all submitted ships as far as design are either not moving forward, going backwards or off on a completly different tangent.

In case anyone had forgotten, THIS IS WHAT THE ENTERPRISE J LOOKS LIKE
Shouldn't the designs start going in this direction? If you take a look at the Enterprise E back to the original, you can see this "evolution" process.

All this complaining and advising/telling how the ship should look, why don't I design one of my own? Plain and simple I'm not that creative to come up with something like that.
...however

Sean P Tourangeau certainly has the right idea. =)
And yes I'm being biast because he did design my favorite ship, the Luna class. This guy just knows Trek ship design.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-19-2010, 01:36 PM
I wish I could design one, but I can't draw and I'm also not in an elligible country.

I know what you mean about rip offs. I saw one that was just a desktop wallpaper of a scene from First Contact.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Well my design looks like it could be the next stage and I think it's very original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresto View Post
Well since the rules for the contest only allow one entry to be submitted and that entry cannot be taken back, I was wondering if people could give me either comments or suggestions on my design on the Enterprise. I am not a particularly good artist or photoshopper but I think it came out pretty well.

Intervention -class

History:
Due to Starfleet's ever growing needs of advanced capable ships out on the battlefield, the Starfleet corps of engineers have come together to design the Intervention -class. Primarily a tactical ship designed to counter the larger and more powerful ships of the Klingons, Romulans, and Borg. The ship boasts two smaller shuttle bays and a large one along with a docking pad on it's aft. This pad is large enough of carrying two runabouts or two attack fighters or even smaller alien craft/freighters. The Intervention class carries 340 torpedoes, has six torpedo bays, along with 18 phaser banks. The Intervention class is as powerful as two galaxy class starships and 1 and 2/3 larger then a Galaxy class.

Although primarily a combat ship, it boasts a large science department and carries a lot of the same medical equipment a small star base has. It is well designed as an exploration craft for after war missions.

Attributes:
The saucer can separate from the rest of the ship and the impulse engines extend out slightly to form smaller pylons.

Yes it's another Enterprise entry thread, but it's one I have'nt entered yet and i'm not asking for votes.........yet
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugen4 View Post
In case anyone had forgotten, THIS IS WHAT THE ENTERPRISE J LOOKS LIKE

Technically yes, but you've also got several ships and about 5 centuries to go before you get from the F to the J.

As for Originality, there are so many ship designs that have been created by now, it's hard to come up with one that won't look similar to one that's been invented already. I've seen several so far that I thought were pretty cool, and the response on here is "oh, that looks like this ship over here."

Well of course it does. The Galaxy looks similar to the Ambassador, and the Ambassador looks similar to the Constitution. That's the point. If you look at a Ferrari, they all share similar characteristics. They're all different models, but they're evolutions, just like Starships.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-19-2010, 01:43 PM
I think those entries accurately mirror the effort put into the contest page.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forresto View Post
Well my design looks like it could be the next stage and I think it's very original.
Yes, I have seen your design and I do like it. I was impressed by it. =)

"The next stage" is what I (and hopefully everybody + the judges) am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
I think those entries accurately mirror the effort put into the contest page.
Well said lol
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-19-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Technically yes, but you've also got several ships and about 5 centuries to go before you get from the F to the J.

As for Originality, there are so many ship designs that have been created by now, it's hard to come up with one that won't look similar to one that's been invented already. I've seen several so far that I thought were pretty cool, and the response on here is "oh, that looks like this ship over here."

Well of course it does. The Galaxy looks similar to the Ambassador, and the Ambassador looks similar to the Constitution. That's the point. If you look at a Ferrari, they all share similar characteristics. They're all different models, but they're evolutions, just like Starships.
If I was designing the ship, I'd try to keep the "Enterprise" style with a round saucer (or slightly elongated like the Sovereign) and nacelles that stick out. That seems to be the common theme with Enterprises over the years.

I like how on the J the lines and curves are more organic, like how the frame with the nacelles and drive section also has the deflector built into it and it holds the saucer. I've seen designs online where they say it's multi purpose and you can actually switch to having different shaped saucers but with the same drive section.

I hope people start submitting entries that are more futuristic like the J, but still a step away from the Sovereign.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugen4 View Post
Yes, I have seen your design and I do like it. I was impressed by it. =)

"The next stage" is what I (and hopefully everybody + the judges) am looking for.
Thank you very much!

That means a lot to me since I'm not much of artist.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-19-2010, 01:55 PM
[quote=bugen4;3234384]ITHIS IS WHAT THE ENTERPRISE J LOOKS LIKE
QUOTE]

That is an ugly ship.