Lt. Commander
# 21
12-19-2010, 02:50 PM
I think my ship is original. It's not turned in yet though.

However it doesn't at all go for your requirement of looking more like the Enterprise J. I hate the Enterprise J.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Personally the one I've seen on the contest so far that says "Enterprise" most to me is http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...keyword=madden Good mix of the A and E, yet has it's own lines of originality.

As for some of the other entries I certainly applaud anyone uploading original works and trying. However I think for it to say "Enterprise" it needs to be circular saucer, engineering hull, and two warp nacelles that go above the engineering hull. That's just my take and certainly the angle I'm working off of for my not so artistic attempt.

As for the F needing to start towards the J, I don't think it needs to. The F is as far away from J as the original was from D. Aside from the general "lines" there really wasn't that much in the way of the original looking anything like the D. Heck for that matter there isn't a ton of similarity from original to B. Each step up there should be lines and when put together you should see the evolution but every additional step should look that much different and to an extent unrecognizable.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-19-2010, 02:59 PM
well we got a long way to go before ships start looking like that we need something that looks like a sovereign more than it does the J
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Correction, Enterprise's Prime universe said that's the Enterprise J. (see: "Azati Prime") Therefore, it's canon.

Also, Roddenberry was only a consultant for Star Trek after TOS, and he had little to no involvmenet after TNG's second season. DS9, Voy, Ent....all of those were sans-Roddenberry. So don't talk to me about "what Roddenburry worked so hard to create," because the majority of what makes Star Trek great had nothing to do with Roddenberry.
Like I said, it's an alternate timeline. Not set in stone, therefore it is *not* cannon. Allow me to quote directly from your own link...

"In a possible future, the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-J) was a Federation starship in service during the 26th century. "
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-19-2010, 03:20 PM
None of the entries are ships I'd even consider to bear the name "Enterprise". TBH, none of those ships are ships I'd even touch with a 10ft pole.

Granted, I only tolerate the Luna class because Riker commands one, but thats it. And I tolerate the current ingame STO ship designs because not one bears a prestigeous name like the "Enterprise".

Cryptic, you're not only deciding what will be the next Enterprise, you're deciding what could potentially become soft-canon to Star Trek fans. Do not dissapoint us. You've already dissapointed many more before.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Most of the contest site is a joke anyway.....I'm still thinking whether it'll be worth even entering the contest haha....I'd say half of the entries are jokes by now.

I'd rather have CBS/Cryptic make a handleful of designs and over an X amount of time have the fans choose which ship they want.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcars View Post
Personally the one I've seen on the contest so far that says "Enterprise" most to me is http://www.startrekonline.com/enterp...keyword=madden Good mix of the A and E, yet has it's own lines of originality.

As for some of the other entries I certainly applaud anyone uploading original works and trying. However I think for it to say "Enterprise" it needs to be circular saucer, engineering hull, and two warp nacelles that go above the engineering hull. That's just my take and certainly the angle I'm working off of for my not so artistic attempt.

As for the F needing to start towards the J, I don't think it needs to. The F is as far away from J as the original was from D. Aside from the general "lines" there really wasn't that much in the way of the original looking anything like the D. Heck for that matter there isn't a ton of similarity from original to B. Each step up there should be lines and when put together you should see the evolution but every additional step should look that much different and to an extent unrecognizable.
I do dig that design. Thanks for pointing it out. Mine's in my sig. I don't think I copied any prior designs too much. I mean, the Enterprise is pretty iconic, Saucer, Stardrive section, 2 nacelles. Only so many variations you can do.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:

I like this one, best I have seen so far.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash-Brewster View Post
I like this one, best I have seen so far.
I like it ok, but it looks too much like the Enterprise E. I would like to see a whole new design that does not resemble any of the other ships, that also remains cannon to the Enterprise Style. Nacelles up, round or oval saucer.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Hmm. Nice. Also fits with the crazy amount of retro being put out by the shipyards in STO at the moment.