Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
Will there be a STO Boxing Day Promotion of any kind?

I may have to stop playing if there is no Subscription discount or at least a better exchange rate for my Canadian Dollar
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-20-2010, 03:37 AM
I came in here to give a nice calm reply, I really did. To tell you there's a C-Store sale with 20% off everything except the Nausican ship and TMP uniforms from the 24th December till 3rd January.

Then I saw this
Quote:
I may have to stop playing if there is no Subscription discount
And decided you're obviously not the sort of person who does 'reason' very well so :p Seriously - you won't play if they don't give you money off? Boo hoo!
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimevalAtom View Post
Will there be a STO Boxing Day Promotion of any kind?

I may have to stop playing if there is no Subscription discount or at least a better exchange rate for my Canadian Dollar
Most likely there will be no Boxing Day Promotion since Cryptic is a US based country. However there is a 20% discount between December 24 and January 30 on all C-Store items.

As for a discount on subscriptions, I highly doubt it. The exchange rate between a US dollar and a Canadian dollar isn't controlled by Cryptic, its based on the international market. By giving you a discount that means they'll be getting less than 15 US dollars a month, so they'll have to give that discount to everyone, and I don't see that happening.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-20-2010, 07:36 AM
They never have and never will give a holiday promotion that knocks money off the subscription price.... Period.

They will not change the subscription price weekly because your country's exchange rate has changed by $0.25, just live with it. You will have to pay the equivalent of $15.00 USD no matter what.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by david26th View Post
I came in here to give a nice calm reply, I really did. To tell you there's a C-Store sale with 20% off everything except the Nausican ship and TMP uniforms from the 24th December till 3rd January. !
Actually that is really good news
Hmmm was it announced today? I thought I had look everywhere for information about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david26th View Post
Then I saw this

And decided you're obviously not the sort of person who does 'reason' very well so :p Seriously - you won't play if they don't give you money off? Boo hoo!
Thanks for cutting my sentence in half and misquoting me
But I will explain myself further down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
As for a discount on subscriptions, I highly doubt it. The exchange rate between a US dollar and a Canadian dollar isn't controlled by Cryptic, its based on the international market. By giving you a discount that means they'll be getting less than 15 US dollars a month, so they'll have to give that discount to everyone, and I don't see that happening.
Since I am sure you are American I will explain to you that I am paying Cryptic $16 and a few cents US dollars a month for a $15 US dollars a month subscription because my Dollar is now almost at part but Crytic refuse to give Canadian a fair international rate for some unexplained reason

But the point gets worse for a lifetime membership.
Cryptic is charging Canadians the equivalent of $340.00 US dollars for a membership it cost you $299.00 US dollars.

As you can see $40.00 more is something… So I am not just a whiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion1701 View Post
They never have and never will give a holiday promotion that knocks money off the subscription price.... Period.

They will not change the subscription price weekly because your country's exchange rate has changed by $0.25, just live with it. You will have to pay the equivalent of $15.00 USD no matter what.
Well as I explain above Champion1701, that is exactly the point.
We Canadians are NOT paying “$15.00 USD no matter what”; we are paying $16.24

And to conclude… As I mention before, yes I will have to quit STO because although I am willing to pay $300.00 USD for a lifetime membership, I am not willing to pay $340.00 USD just because I am Canadian

PS: I will though have to concede, that if the increase is because of Taxes, I could rationalize to myself the added cost of a Lifetime Membership for Canadians (After all “free health care” isn’t cheap lmao).
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Since I am sure you are American I will explain to you that I am paying Cryptic $16 and a few cents US dollars a month for a $15 US dollars a month subscription because my Dollar is now almost at part but Crytic refuse to give Canadian a fair international rate for some unexplained reason

But the point gets worse for a lifetime membership.
Cryptic is charging Canadians the equivalent of $340.00 US dollars for a membership it cost you $299.00 US dollars.

As you can see $40.00 more is something… So I am not just a whiner.
I never said you were a whiner so I apologize if I implied that. The problem comes in with the exchange rate. It is constantly changing so it isn't easy for any company to keep up with it.

You have to realize that you aren't paying extra. You are purchasing something which costs $16.49 CAD no matter what. If they based the price on the current exchange rate then today someone can pay $14 CAD and next month it might be $16 CAD. That's unfair.

You are looking at it in terms of the USD, but you shouldn't. Your $16.49 will always equal $16.49 for you as long as you are within Canada. When you purchase a subscription you are paying $16.49. Cryptic has to then convert that money into USD. Right now they would be making some extra money from it. However the exchange rate could change where they would lose some money. However no matter what you have a flat rate of $16.49
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Boggles the mind, don't it?

This is the only game I know where, when I buy something, I see the taxes being added after agreeing to the price being advertised. And sure, taxes are taxes, they've got to be paid, so I do, without complaint, but it has left me wondering more than once... Doesn't America have sales taxes of its own? And am I really paying those, as a foreigner, on top of my own country's VATs? Or is the difference quietly being pocketed by Atari when really it ought to be subtracted?

I'll accept any answer, really. I'm not pleading a case, I don't know enough about economy to do. I prefer nice, simple physics. At least those laws are the same (almost) everywhere.

Anyhow, as for the culturally ambivalently named "Winter Break Sale" (I sure hope the Australians won't take offense at that), that was announced in the newsletter Cryptic regularly puts out. You can subscribe to that in your account settings, I believe. I don't know if they've reposted it anywhere on the site or forum, but just in case, here's the text of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsletter@crypticstudios.com
Greetings Captain,

We're preparing for the winter holidays and want to apprise you of some great events happening in Star Trek Online.

Season Three Live Now
Season Three: Genesis is available for all subscribers right now. Be sure to check out our Season Three: Genesis information page to learn about the Foundry Beta for Star Trek Online, a Sector Space revamp and more! Just log in and begin patching to play now.

Design the Next Enterprise
Our Design the Next Enterprise contest we're running with Intel is currently under way. Be sure to visit the design hangar to submit your version of the next Enterprise. Among other prizes, the grand prize winner's ship will be featured inside Star Trek Online. You've got until January 13 to enter!

Winter Break Sale
We want to celebrate New Year's with you... with a C-Store sale! From 10 a.m. Pacific on Friday, December 24, until 10 a.m. Pacific on Monday, January 3, 2011, everything in the C-Store (except the Federation Costume Pack: The Motion Picture and Guramba Siege Destroyer) is 20% off!

Thank you for your continued support of Star Trek Online. We can't wait to see you in the Alpha Quadrant!

-The Star Trek Online Team
Also... Boxing day?
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reave View Post
This is the only game I know where, when I buy something, I see the taxes being added after agreeing to the price being advertised. And sure, taxes are taxes, they've got to be paid, so I do, without complaint, but it has left me wondering more than once... Doesn't America have sales taxes of its own? And am I really paying those, as a foreigner, on top of my own country's VATs? Or is the difference quietly being pocketed by Atari when really it ought to be subtracted?
In the US the price listed is pre-tax. So if you buy something that costs $20.00 you know you'll have to pay Sales Tax on that item as well. So my $20.00 item might cost me $22.00 at checkout with Sales Tax. In Europe VAT is included in the final price: they would just list the item as $22.00 and that's the price you'd pay. You're being charged in the American style: X amount, converted to your currency, and then adding VAT at the end.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
I never said you were a whiner so I apologize if I implied that. The problem comes in with the exchange rate. It is constantly changing so it isn't easy for any company to keep up with it.

You have to realize that you aren't paying extra. You are purchasing something which costs $16.49 CAD no matter what. If they based the price on the current exchange rate then today someone can pay $14 CAD and next month it might be $16 CAD. That's unfair.

You are looking at it in terms of the USD, but you shouldn't. Your $16.49 will always equal $16.49 for you as long as you are within Canada. When you purchase a subscription you are paying $16.49. Cryptic has to then convert that money into USD. Right now they would be making some extra money from it. However the exchange rate could change where they would lose some money. However no matter what you have a flat rate of $16.49
You had me at "I never said"... lol

Well you 16.49 analogy does make sense. If the Canadian Dollar was back at .70 cents as it once was I will be singing a different tune.

But since they are making +/- 15% more money out of Canadians should they at least give us something???

Maybe a free Pet Beaver or a Hockey stick we can use as a melee weapon
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
You had me at "I never said"... lol

Well you 16.49 analogy does make sense. If the Canadian Dollar was back at .70 cents as it once was I will be singing a different tune.

But since they are making +/- 15% more money out of Canadians should they at least give us something???

Maybe a free Pet Beaver or a Hockey stick we can use as a melee weapon
haha I understand where you are coming from, but the fact of the matter is, the price difference isn't their fault. They are just a small player in a much larger market and are playing by the rules. You ask if they should give Canadians something because they are making a few extra dollars. By the same logic I could ask, shouldn't Cryptic get something if they lose a few extra dollars?

Honestly I don't think they should give you anything because it isn't their fault that the exchange rate works this way. If they had control over it then I'd completely support you. The only thing Cryptic is guilty of is falling international rules and trying to keep things as fair as possible.