Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
12-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I'd just like to say that, as a U.S. citizen, I too would like servants to pack away my leftovers to eat them at home the next day
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimevalAtom View Post
[font="Georgia"][color="Red"][b]a better exchange rate for my Canadian Dollar
This is definitely needed! At the current exchange rate, Canadian's are definitely being ripped off! Until the exchange rate is updated, I won't be buying any Cryptic Points regardless of what I want and whether or not those items are on sale.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimevalAtom View Post
But the point gets worse for a lifetime membership.
Cryptic is charging Canadians the equivalent of $340.00 US dollars for a membership it cost you $299.00 US dollars.
I thought this was addressed... http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...light=canadian... $251.99 is much more palatable than $340... I haven't gotten around to buying a lifetime membership yet myself (yes, I'm a Canadian)... but I hope that Cryptic is billing us accordingly...
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Our C-Store sales generally occur on or around U.S. Holidays, since we are a U.S. based company.

As for the exchange rate issue, the values for every currency in the world can and often do change on a daily basis. This makes it very hard for any company to keep their exchange rates up to date.

What we do, is every few months we look at the exchange rates, and re-adjust what we charge based on the current rates. We also monitor the community for information such as this to let us know if it gets a little wacky before we update those rates again.

When I see threads like this, the following happens:
  1. Stormshade walks into The Director of Customer Service's office. (Done!)
  2. If the Director is not there, he sends an e-mail, and comes back later. (Skipped this time, he was there!)
  3. Stormshade tells the Director of the current situation, and the Director says, "Really?" (Done!)
  4. Stormshade says, "Really. Check it out!" (Done!)
  5. The Director begins furiously typing and looking up current exchange rates. (Done!)
  6. The Director muses over the different discounts certain regions are currently receiving, and how much other areas are being overcharged, and then tells Stormshade, "I'm on it. Thanks dude!" (Done!)
  7. The problem is resolved shortly thereafter. (Pending)

So, the short answer is:

Thanks for pointing this out, we're looking into it right now!

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
Our C-Store sales generally occur on or around U.S. Holidays, since we are a U.S. based company.

As for the exchange rate issue, the values for every currency in the world can and often do change on a daily basis. This makes it very hard for any company to keep their exchange rates up to date.

What we do, is every few months we look at the exchange rates, and re-adjust what we charge based on the current rates. We also monitor the community for information such as this to let us know if it gets a little wacky before we update those rates again.

2. If the Director is not there, he sends an e-mail, and comes back later. (Skipped this time, he was there!)
  3. Stormshade tells the Director of the current situation, and the Director says, "Really?" (Done!)
  5. The Director begins furiously typing and looking up current exchange rates. (Done!)
  6. The Director muses over the different discounts certain regions are currently receiving, and how much other areas are being overcharged, and then tells Stormshade, "I'm on it. Thanks dude!" (Done!)

So, the short answer is:

Thanks,

Stormshade
(: Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-20-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm assuming that STO will have a 20% off sale starting on Dec 24 and ending around Dec 31st or so since Champs is also doing it and til now they've done sales almost entirely in tandem...
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade

So, the short answer is:

Thanks,

Stormshade
Stormshade you are my hero.

I am glad someone does read about our concerns and does something about it

You can count a Lifetime Membership out of me if the price does comes down to a relatively fair market value

Thanks again for the reply
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-21-2010, 04:09 AM
As a Brit, I'm well used to being overcharged for US items. Clothes shipped to the UK are the same price but in as they are in $ which means I'm paying more than just exchange rate and shipping costs. At one point, it was about double in price. I'm not saying Cryptic are doing this by the way but just a generalisation.

But the point is you get used to it and accept it. I'm not saying it's right but I ask myself what is it worth to me. And I find the figure to be acceptable and therefore pay it. If I don't then I I exercise my shoppers prerogative and take my elsewhere...
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryde7
As a Brit, I'm well used to being overcharged for US items. Clothes shipped to the UK are the same price but in as they are in $ which means I'm paying more than just exchange rate and shipping costs. At one point, it was about double in price. I'm not saying Cryptic are doing this by the way but just a generalisation.

But the point is you get used to it and accept it. I'm not saying it's right but I ask myself what is it worth to me. And I find the figure to be acceptable and therefore pay it. If I don't then I I exercise my shoppers prerogative and take my elsewhere...
I saw that first hand when over there for 2 months a few weeks back! The difference is... you Brits accept it! Here in North America, we don't buy stuff we don't feel we're getting a fair price on. If no one buys it, one of two things will happen. It'll get cheaper or they'll just stop selling it. Either way, companies are in business to make money, not alienate their prospective customers. I travel a lot each year and do spend a lot of time in the United States. Even things like clothing and such are significantly cheaper in their country than here in Canada. Online shopping is slowly teaching retailers like BestBuy and WalMart that they have to maintain a fair level of pricing on both sides of the border or we'll just shop south of our border.