Lt. Commander
I think that space should be less cluttered in general.
So many asteroids, i mean, nearly every space map i go into has asteroids!
What's the obsession with them Cryptic, is it because of Atari? .

Back to my point here, I would like to see more space, stark black with distant galaxies or what not, beautiful nebulas or even comets! But please, for the love of all that's good, either tone down the asteroids, or allow my tac officer to use quantums against every offending asteroid he sees. Hell, the asteroids i blow up could even drop anomalies, that would make everyone happy!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-21-2010, 11:05 AM
I believe the main reason there are asteroids is for orientation purposes and such, since hte map is only 2d, its hard to tell if you are above or below your objective, meaning if you fly high up or way down low looking for anomolies and such, you could easily get lost, without asteroids you'd be searching for a needle in a haystack, especially if tis a "deep space" style space map with no planet's up close to you.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-21-2010, 11:05 AM
qft, but without the q.

basically, yes.. I agree. There was another thread some time back about the same thing. Something about how some of these planets would be vaporized with so many asteroids orbiting them and they wouldnt be able to support life-- for long.. or words to the effect.

Yep.. space is awful crowded sometimes.

Oh.. and for references, drop a couple bouyies or something. /shrug
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Yep it is ridiculous sometimes.

if the large one's(which your objective's/target's are usually near)have to stay then fine, but the stupid amount of small one's in places just looks poor and as mentioned would annihilate any planet nearby.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I think the problem is that without some kind of terrain, space combat becomes really boring.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-21-2010, 02:03 PM
They might do well to substitute some dust rings in for asteroids in some maps. But in general I do agree that it's great for orientation purposes. It's easy enough to get flipped around in a battle and disoriented. Having that ring of rocks there really helps.

What people really need to start doing is considering game mechanics when they come up with complaints. A number of current complaints would be seen in a much more favorable light if people just realized it was to improve gameplay, such as 2D flight orientation instead of true 3D newtonian motion and inertial thrusters.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
I am wondering if all these asteroids are by products of the deadly Supernova Spock tried to stop before it destroyed Romulus? I'm just saying.... and yes, I wish there were less of them.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-21-2010, 10:56 PM
That could be remedied by allowing a scanner option, choose between anomalies / objectives
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Nobody thinks we should be able to blow them up? Like a certain game from atari's past? :p
Seriously though, people, start the voting process now, for less clutter and more space.
/signed
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkari
I believe the main reason there are asteroids is for orientation purposes and such, since hte map is only 2d, its hard to tell if you are above or below your objective, meaning if you fly high up or way down low looking for anomolies and such, you could easily get lost, without asteroids you'd be searching for a needle in a haystack, especially if tis a "deep space" style space map with no planet's up close to you.
I feel constrained to point out that it's because of the asteroids that one can't see anything else.

Closed Thread