Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
I reached level 5 and I upgraded my phasers to MK 2 , which was great. But then I went to another person to upgrade my body armor to MK 3 and purchased that.But I was unable to use it and so I had to sell it back for half the cost I paid for the amour originally.bummer. This is my problem I have with the merchants in the game. The game does NOT give you any indicator what you are eligible to buy and so you use use up your credits needlessly. Cryptic needs to check into this or maybe I'm missing something? You tell me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-20-2010, 08:44 AM
As was pointed out to you in another thread of yours, equipment is based on your character's rank. At Lieutenant you can only have Mk 1 or Mk 2 gear. When you get to Lt. Commander you can use Mk 3 or Mk 4 gear, and so on as you progress higher. This was covered in the Tutorial and early Starbase content that needed to be read right after the Tutorial.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-20-2010, 08:50 AM
Nearly all equipment for either you or your ship is level banded to your career. With a few exceptions of special equipment you can get through missions.

Example:

LT. can use mk I and mk II
LT Commander is mk III and mk IV
Commander is mk V and mk VI
Captain is mk VII and mk VIII
Admiral is mk IX and mk X (aka admiral lower half)
Admiral upper half is mk XI
Vice Admiral is mk XII

Hope that helps.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-20-2010, 09:20 AM
If you hover over the equipment, it will tell you what rank is required.

For example, you might see something like this:
Quote:
Phaser Beam Array MKX
Common Ship Weapon
Binds on Equip
Rear Admiral, Lower Half
Phaser Array
250'targeting arc
to target: 200 Phaser Damage
(160 DPS)
to self: -10 Weapon Power when
firing other weapons
to target: 2.5% Chance: Disable 1
Subsystem for 5 sec
Note that it has a requirement of Rear Admiral, Lower Half. This means you must be at least level 41 to use this item. Any item that has a level requirement will have a similar rank requirement listed. If an item does not have such a rank shown, it should be useable by any player. The rank applies to you, so even if your bridge officers are a lower rank, they can use the item as well.

Also, note that the item binds to you when equipped. This means you can purchase the item yourself, and either use it, or give it to another character, or even sell it if you want.

The rest of the information describes how the weapon performs.
Lt. Commander
All you folks missed my point. The designers of the game know what stuff is for you at what level but the player sure doesn't know. That is the whole point. Also there is NO TUTORIAL explaining which items can be purchased at what levels. That is a LIE cosmos. Its no fun losing credits on items you didn't know ahead of time you couldn't purchase. Thats the whole point. Also where is there a game manual explaining all the level charts for items where the average player who never playedd this game before understands every little issue? Where Comos? Maybe Cyptic game designers sent one to Cosmos long ago. Go figure.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zornow
All you folks missed my point. The designers of the game know what stuff is for you at what level but the player sure doesn't know. That is the whole point. Also there is NO TUTORIAL explaining which items can be purchased at what levels. That is a LIE cosmos. Its no fun losing credits on items you didn't know ahead of time you couldn't purchase. Thats the whole point. Also where is there a game manual explaining all the level charts for items where the average player who never playedd this game before understands every little issue? Where Comos? Maybe Cyptic game designers sent one to Cosmos long ago. Go figure.
When you purchase an item, if you read its description it tells you that it can only be used by players of a certain level. If it does not say this than any player of any level can use it.

The biggest key with this game, and any other MMO, is to read everything. There is a lot of dialog screens that pop up which explain a lot. There are descriptions for every item. Just make sure you take the time to read. If you don't understand after reading or are not sure, then ask on these forums like you've been doing.

Also do not worry about losing energy credits. You will have more than you know what to do with.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
While I agree that game documentation leaves something to be desired, your question has a simple answer. Read the tooltip that pops up when you get an item or consider purchasing it. It will not only tell you what it does but what restrictions and requirements it has. Most of the equipment has a rank (read level) requirement in order for it to be used. As mentioned above, it will tell you what rank you need to be. It's been a while since I had to look stuff up, but I'm pretty sure that the requirement will show up as red text if you can't use it yet and white if you can.

And if it's at a higher level than what you can currently use, just remember this: you will get to that rank in no time. Hold on to it and don't sell it unless you get something better.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Here is the basic list in a nutshell;

Rank, Level, Mk (gear level)
(Ensign) Lieutenant, 1-10, Mk I, II
Lieutenant Commander, 11-20, Mk III, IV
Commander, 21-30, Mk V, VI
Captain, 31-40, Mk VII, VIII
Rear Adm. Lower, 41-45, Mk IX, X
Rear Adm. Upper, 46-50, Mk XI
Vice Admiral, 51 (Cap), Mk XII

As stated, every item when you click on it tells you what it does, and tells you the minimum rank you need to be to equip it. Keep in mind that this only applies to the player and not the BOffs. For example, if you are a Captain and you have a Lieutenant BOff, that BOff can be equipped with Mk VII or VIII gear.
Lt. Commander
# 9 It DOES NOT TELL YOU!!
12-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Bullcrap!! When you want to purchase an item and click on it the slot, the slot TURNS BLUE and there is no pop up saying you cannot buy this at your level. Bullcrap and bullcrap. Cryptic needs to put a leveling guide for purchasing items like WoW does.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Bullcrap!! When you want to purchase an item and click on it the slot, the slot TURNS BLUE and there is no pop up saying you cannot buy this at your level. Bullcrap and bullcrap. Cryptic needs to put a leveling guide for purchasing items like WoW does.
No one said it tells you that you CANNOT buy the item. We said that the item tells you what level the item is for. The game does give you information if you are willing to read.

I suggest you calm down before people begin taking this as a troll thread and report it.