Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
12-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zornow
Bullcrap!! When you want to purchase an item and click on it the slot, the slot TURNS BLUE and there is no pop up saying you cannot buy this at your level. Bullcrap and bullcrap. Cryptic needs to put a leveling guide for purchasing items like WoW does.
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...weaponrank.jpg
Notice the words circled in red from the pop-up when you hover over an item you want to buy.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-21-2010, 05:11 AM
^^^^^There it is.

Now unless you want to say he Photoshopped it as part of a mass conspiracy to further Cryptic's quest of world domination, there is where it tells you.:p

I do agree that information such as that can be a bit more clear, but it is there. And as stated, you will be able to use the equipment sooner or later, so no big whoop. For what it's worth, you are not the first and won't be the last person to buy gear in an mmo that was above your level.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Bullcrap!! When you want to purchase an item and click on it the slot, the slot TURNS BLUE and there is no pop up saying you cannot buy this at your level. Bullcrap and bullcrap. Cryptic needs to put a leveling guide for purchasing items like WoW does.
Who said that you can't buy an item that you can't use? There is no limitation in what you can buy beyond the amount of money that you have on you. And it's not limited to just STO. Most MMOs that I've played let you buy items that aren't your class or level. I suggest calming down before you blow a few more blood vessels.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-21-2010, 01:29 PM
you can buy whatever you want, but you have to look at the description before you buy it to find out if you can use it. Not only are some items level-based, some ship weapons are only usable on certain ships

For instance, I believe you can't equip cannons to a Cruiser. But the item description will tell you what ship you can use it with, so just check carefully.
Lt. Commander
# 15 Jack Armstrong-reread my post
12-21-2010, 05:17 PM
Jack Armstrong

Sure you can buy anything you wish beyond your own level, BUT YOU CAN'T EQUIP IT unless it is AT YOUR LEVEL.So you can't really use it! So you have to sell it back for half the value you paid for the item. Credits are hard to come buy in this game. Thats the point. Cryptic game designers should fade out items above one's level to prevent this from happening
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Jack Armstrong

Sure you can buy anything you wish beyond your own level, BUT YOU CAN'T EQUIP IT unless it is AT YOUR LEVEL.So you can't really use it! So you have to sell it back for half the value you paid for the item. Credits are hard to come buy in this game. Thats the point. Cryptic game designers should fade out items above one's level to prevent this from happening
You don't HAVE to sell it back. You can store it in your bank for when you reach that level. Credits are very easy to come by in this game. There is also other currencies, such as Exploration Badges, which you can use to buy equipment. You aren't limited to needing Energy Credits.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Jack Armstrong

It's quite possible that you will want to buy something for someone else at some point; possibly even a higher level alt of your own. If they grayed-out higher level gear that would become impossible.

Also, as others have said, Credits aren't hard to come by. If you looked at that picture I posted above that character had over 900,000 Credits; and that was after spending 1.25 million Credits for a new BO on the Exchange. Credits might seem tight to you at Lt 5 but by Commander you'll have extra credits in the 100,000+ range.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
And no, I can log into WoW and buy some level 70 to use item from a Dalaran vendor with my level 1 bank alt parked in Dalaran (less lag since no one's there anymore) as long as I have enough gold to do so.

Cryptic does give you the info, it's right there in to tooltip if you learn to read.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainu
And no, I can log into WoW and buy some level 70 to use item from a Dalaran vendor with my level 1 bank alt parked in Dalaran (less lag since no one's there anymore) as long as I have enough gold to do so.
I have done that in a similar MMO, bought the nice, shiny sword. Didn't care that it would wipe out my gold, only that it did a lot of HP damage and I would be a BAMF. Imagine my disappointment when I was informed "you cannot equip this item." The info was there that told me what level you had to be, I was just so full of "I want" that I did not bother to read all of the information. I think here is a similar tale.

As I have said, everyone has been guilty of this one way or the other. In my case, there where plenty more zeros at the end of the price. Just have to suck it up and move on, because now you know.

As for in game manuals and instructions, it'll probably never get better than the basic one we have now because you know what? Most fan created guides are almost always better than what the game puts out. I have seen some mmos come out with some pretty good guides on their own and still fans always come up with something better. To the OP, I would take a look at some of these guides to get a better understanding of everything in the game if I were you. It will help out with that "leap before you look" strategy. Some of them are in the "Index" link in my signature.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Jack Armstrong

First off, reread my original post in this thread. I already told you that you should save it for when you reach the level that you can.

Secondly, credits are hard to come by? BWAHAHAHAH!!!! Maybe at the lower levels, but you rapidly get more than you know what to do with. There are people begging for money sinks to get rid of their excess cash. You want credits, come ask me. I'd happily give them away.

Finally, on the idea of restricting what you can or cannot buy, I think that should be a pretty obvious "NO". Why should I be limited to what I can or cannot purchase because I'm too low or too high level? Maybe I want to buy that MkVIII phaser array but I'm only Lt. Commander. Maybe I want that MkIV Heavy Disruptor Cannon for a low-level alt. I should be able to do that. And guess what? Most games...pretty much ALL games...that I've played do this.

EDIT: And, yes, what you describe has happened to me. And I never once blamed the system. I blamed the user for not paying attention or jumping the gun.