Lt. Commander
# 21
12-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Well, at least the humans are better than those little 3 foot greys I seee running around on Qo'noS all the time

Back in my day, Klingons were Klingon, and reveled in the fact. And also booze.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tain View Post
Well, at least the humans are better than those little 3 foot greys I seee running around on Qo'noS all the time

Back in my day, Klingons were Klingon, and reveled in the fact. And also booze.
In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were REAL men, women were REAL women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were REAL small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terral
I was going to say that at first as well, but since Federation players can get Klingon faction BOs from the Diplomatic Corps that's obviously not an acceptable excuse. Hopefully whenever there's a KDF equivalent of the Diplomacy system, that might work to alleviate the problem.
Keep in mind that you cannot get a Klingon from the FDC, only Orions, Nausicaan and Gorn. The reasoning behind this is (as far as I recall) that the Federation wants to "extend a laurel of peace" to potential allies within the governments of the factions allied with the Klingon Empire, using the Exchange Program to show selected officers what the UFP has to offer. The Orions want to abuse this to infiltrate Starfleet and the Nausicaans actually do not care at all for who they fight and have zero political pull on themselves. The Gorn are probably the only honest guys participating in this project since there actually are some Gorn out there who dislike the current state of affairs concerning the Hegemony's status as a vassal state.
You cannot get a Klingon BO through the FDC simply because the Federation is at war with the Klingon Empire and there is no faction (House) within the Klingon government that would want to participate. The honorable Houses are all loyal to the Empire and the dishonest ones see no personal gain in changing sides.

In any case, even if the KDF would copy the Federation FDC system, you couldn't get a Human. Only Vulcans, Andorians and ... I dunno, Pakleds?
We should probably also keep in mind that Klingon diplomacy works way different than Federation one. It is not as idealistic and emphasizes playing two factions against each other to profit from the result rather than working together to resolve a conflict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
I'd argue it's a case for removing the human parts from aliengen.
I'd be all for that, but then a lot of people would cry for not being allowed to make their Starfleet Orions who shouldn't really be there in the first place as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileight View Post
So which is it?
I rarely see KDF humans.
Oh, they're quite prevalent. I think the most numerous species is female Orions, followed by Klingons, then Humans, then Vulcans or Romulans, then Gorn, then Nausicaan.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
he's roleplaying a neutral smuggler, has created the same character on each side
thats a great idea
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naphl View Post
thats a great idea
Definitively. I'd only wish the game would support this more, as in there being a proper neutral mini-faction for people who just want to craft, trade and smuggle instead of blowing up battleships. That would negate the need to "circumvent" the canon restrictions with the Alien Generator and allow him to keep the same neutral ship.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-21-2010, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Armstrong View Post
In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were REAL men, women were REAL women, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were REAL small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.
And all dared to brave unknown terrors, to do mighty deeds, to boldly split infinitives that no man had split before and thus was the Empire forged!

I tend to check the info of any unusual species I spot Klingon side. Curiously the majority of "human-like" KDF characters I see as actually pale female Orion (the extreme of the Orion skin shades pallette allows a slightly more pink than Romulan skin tone) captains in KDF uniforms. There's an aweful lot of Trill in the KDF too by all appearances.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightErrant View Post
Curiously the majority of "human-like" KDF characters I see as actually pale female Orion (the extreme of the Orion skin shades pallette allows a slightly more pink than Romulan skin tone) captains in KDF uniforms.
Yeah, that's gotta be the best of both worlds. A Human with Seduce.

Tbh, I still think that skin tone is a bug. Un-green Orions, really? And brown ones?
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Yeah, that's gotta be the best of both worlds. A Human with Seduce.

Tbh, I still think that skin tone is a bug. Un-green Orions, really? And brown ones?
Deadlier than the male, eh?
Perhaps the Green ones are still unripe and the other colors denote a state of decay?
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-21-2010, 09:39 AM
So much for IDIC again?

For everyone who's saying it doesn't make sense for a human to be on the side of the Empire...ummm why not? We're only a few decades post Dominion War and Feds seem to be kinda "lacking" when it comes to certain aspects of territory defense from rival ships and alien spies, where as the Klingons have been actively and successfully hunting the Undine for a while now and are doing fairly well minus the alliance with the Fed.

The assumption that a human would not want to join/change sides ignores the possibility there may be some humans who disagree with current Fed policy and prefer action vs reaction to enemy forces. It happens today where we have people who become turncoats, double agents, renounce citizenship, renounce or reject extremism of one sort or another and work for the "other side," etc. Why would this scenario be any different?

Lt. Commander
# 30
12-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_Prime View Post
So much for IDIC again?
Since when is IDIC a Klingon concept?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus_Prime View Post
For everyone who's saying it doesn't make sense for a human to be on the side of the Empire...ummm why not? We're only a few decades post Dominion War and Feds seem to be kinda "lacking" when it comes to certain aspects of territory defense from rival ships and alien spies, where as the Klingons have been actively and successfully hunting the Undine for a while now and are doing fairly well minus the alliance with the Fed.
I actually already pointed out potential justifications, but that doesn't change that it's still bad. Playing "exceptions" in an MMO is a fail by default because exceptions are only exceptional as long as they're not showing up in force. As it is bound to happen in an MMO, is the case for Humans in the KDF already, and would only get worse would "Human" become a full-fledged legal species. You'll reach a point where it gets absurd in that the "Klingon" Defense Force is made up largely by the people they're fighting.

"When everybody is special, no-one is."

The massive amount of Joined Trills and Liberated Borg is crazy enough, so I, as someone who values the setting, do not see why it needs to be destroyed even more because someone thinks it'll be more "fun" to play something that doesn't fit into the image. I know that this opinion isn't shared by a lot of people - but honestly, do we need to kill the style of both factions this game has to offer? Let's just keep this sort of "fun" to the Feds and try to have Qo'noS retain the look it had in the shows, deal?

Then again, given that people can already roll Humans and space elves in the Alien Generator, I guess it won't make much of the difference as the damage is done already. I just don't like the idea of "legalizing" this sort of pseudo-exploitation.