Lt. Commander
I'm curious as to whether or not people who make Foundry missions would include little things that the writers of Star Trek TV series in the past have put in as jokes or "traditions".

One of these is the 47 Conspiracy, which is a theory that the number 47 appears an unnatural amount of times in the Star Trek TV series and movies:
The 47 Conspiracy in Star Trek
Video evidence of 47 in Voyager

I thought this was one of the most strangest things I'd ever heard of, because I never noticed it while watching Star Trek, but if you look for it, it's noticeable.

So, in my missions I included references to 47. Can you spot them? :p

And would you hide some 47s in your missions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-21-2010, 06:04 AM
Naw, don't think I would. That's a tradition for them. I'd rather see a STO tradition start.

I'm sure that one will show up eventually, unnoticed even. And almost unintentional. I've even got a strong inkling as to what it would be.

I'm nearing the end of my first episode (it's the first of a four parter, which is the start of a whole TV-series like string of missions). And in this mission I need to have the crew go to a local black market trading station. Very, very tempted to call it Calrissia station, in orbit around the gas planet Bespi.

I'm sure little things like that will creep into lots of Foundry missions.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-21-2010, 06:31 AM
I was not consciously aware of the 47 conspiracy when I wrote my mission but, lo and behold, when you use the console to change the resonating frequency it's by 0.147.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-21-2010, 10:05 AM
I only have one mission out right now, but I've stuck a little Trek-flavoured easter egg that I plan on putting in all future missions:

It's one brave young Ensign named Rose Jersey. She's got lots of spunk and is just waiting to fire her phasers at anything that moves.

Too bad the NPC contacts can't perform any actions, so she has to be separated from the fighting, but hopefully in the future she'll be able to risk her life (and lose) in the line of duty.

I'm sure there's somewhere for me to fit in a 47 or two though...
Lt. Commander
# 5 Been trying
12-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Second Star To The Right is the name of one of my missions. Toke it from Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country. When Kirk is asked the coarse at then end of the movie. He give the location of Never Never Land. "Second star to the right and straight on till morning."
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves
Second Star To The Right is the name of one of my missions. Toke it from Star Trek 6 The Undiscovered Country. When Kirk is asked the coarse at then end of the movie. He give the location of Never Never Land. "Second star to the right and straight on till morning."
That's the name of one of the Klingon PvE missions too for when you reach LC10 level
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-21-2010, 02:54 PM
im still writing my missions, but what i do for my traditions is include little trivia that i like to read about movies for why directors did or named things the way they did like....Laurentian system was named such in the new star trek movie because its where william shatner is from in Canada.

SO i try to do little things like that, I also, include star trek traditions about, and jokes, not particular to writers but to the universe.

such as being told "you are the closest or ONLY starship in the area...."
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-21-2010, 10:47 PM
I am adopting a variation of the "O'brien must suffer" mantra from DS9. As I understand it, the writers secretly liked to make sure O'brien suffered. A lot. In lots of episodes. Since I can't use the TV character, I am using Admiral Marconi (He is on the station...seems like a good choice). I can't make him suffer per se, but I can make him appear less than honorable, stupid, bumbling, incompetant, petty. I built that into my first mission "Facility of Fools" and made Admiral Marconi a former friend of the player character. He talks about how he is schemeing to steal quinns job at ESD and shady things he is up to. Check it out, feedback appreciated and (if possible with current foundry) will be incorporated into the mission.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-22-2010, 05:50 AM
I haven't used 47 yet, but I've spent considerable amounts of time on Memory Alpha to make sure all my terminology for things is accurate, ranging from medical equipment to Borg species designations. Of course, half of that stuff doesn't show up in my published mission because of the chat/animation bugs...
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-31-2010, 07:09 AM
Whoa... I just realised that the bar on Earth Spacedock is called Club 47. How could I not have noticed that?!