Lt. Commander
I was thinking about this while examining my combat skills.

Should we have an area to "test" our abilties?

In Champions Online, they have a room in a base called Powerhouse called the Crash Dummy Testing Range.

It's full of, well, Crash Dummies of varying levels that you can attack and will always respawn.
I've used them mainly for testing weapons and powers.

I'd like to see something like this in the game, an area we can go and try our fighting powers out.

It could even be integrated into our ships, a holodeck boxing ring program or something (a la Chakotay).
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-16-2010, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post

In Champions Online, they have a room in a base called Powerhouse called the Crash Dummy Testing Range.

It's full of, well, Crash Dummies of varying levels that you can attack and will always respawn.

I'd like to see something like this in the game, an area we can go and try our fighting powers out.

It could even be integrated into our ships, a holodeck boxing ring program or something (a la Chakotay).

it may have its uses for speccing ground , to see how much damage each point in whatever skill may effect weapon, or kit damage. Not nearly as useless an idea as some i have read, including some of my own :p
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post

I have found that a Fleet action of the approprate level(PvE) or a war zone(PvP) to be about the best place to try stuff out. And do it on Tribble before commiting points to a skill if needed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-16-2010, 04:23 PM
For a simple damage test or skill experimentation, none of those things are valid.

First of all, the NPCs will fight back.
You'll be too busy defending yourself to accurately evaluate the validity of the single skill you are assessing.

Secondly, you have to travel quite some distance to them, find an appropriate anomaly and then go back again to your home base.

And then you have the problem of finding a ground based one if you want to test that.
Which is often full of other players blasting the NPCs as well.

A proper testing range is the only thing that can properly be used for skill testing, the Fleet actions and enemy engagements are not suitable.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Try new ship builds on tribble, it doesn't cost you anything. Also, enable your combat log. I believe the command is /combatlog. Anyway, when you start typing, the autofill suggestion is the correct one. The combat log will break down exactly how much damage each hit does, & whats boosting it.The same thing for damage you take.
Its a lot of reading though, A battle against 1 npc ship will generate hundreds of lines of Data. However, you will learn what works real quick when you use this tool.
Hope that helps
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-21-2010, 04:28 AM
I don't really care about ship builds.

I have what I like there and pretty much the only reason I go to Tribble for ship stuff is to test a new ship to see if it's worth buying on C-Store when it goes live.

Ironically, I bought every KDF special ship there was, but most of the Fed specials are meaningless to me.
The only one I really like is the Defiant Retrofit.

It's mainly the melee ground skills I want to practice, but that's hard without a crash test dummy to practice on.

1. Because if you find a ground enemy, they will eventually die from the beating you dish out.
2. Isolating one from the group is hard, there's not just 1, there's 5.
3. Having them shoot or punch you while trying to get the timing right on the 1,2,1 combos is distracting.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-21-2010, 05:41 AM
Get a fleettmate to let you pummel him. he can tell you the effects of your activities on him. also run the combatlog, it helps