Lt. Commander
I've recently started to think the way we draw our weapons is strange.

They come from nowhere, they just appear and disappear.

I went to my Tabula Rasa archive and found comparable weapons to Dual Pistols and Rifles:
Sniper Skill Demonstration
As this video shows, when the weapons are not in use, they're clipped to a module on the back.

And from Mass Effect:
Shadow Broker Battle
In this video, weapons are collaspable and unfold as you remove them from a clamp on your armor.

In the Star Trek tv show, single hand weapons were carried in a holster on the belt, rifles were often carried by a strap over the shoulder.

So why doesn't Star Trek Online use a system like this?

Have the weapons visible somewhere in a holster or clip and pull them out when you start to use them?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Maybe in the 25th century they're phase-ins - they're kept in transporter stasis until you need them.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-21-2010, 08:06 AM
It's the dual weapon slots on main characters... Mass Effect's got an interesting way of stockpiling your personal arsenal, what with the fold-up weapons, which no matter their ultimate form all have roughly the same shape and size while stowed, but that wouldn't really fit with the way Star Trek's weapons have always been portrayed.

Two rifles would be a problem, or at least look silly. Likewise, if you're carrying a set of dual pistols, and a regular one, where do you put the third? Or fourth, if you're carrying two sets of two?

I would like to see this though. Already requested they add stuff like a holstered phaser or tricorder as costume options. I suppose it could work if it only displayed the currently active weapon. That'd be simplest. Small arms on the belt, rifles straight down off the shoulder and the really big guns across the back. But still that would probably require a second model be made for each weapon in its holstered/worn state. (Perhaps that could be cut back on by having the holographic components inactive.)

And the big ones, rifles and beyond, are going to be problematic when you sit down on your bridge. Or anywhere else, for that matter.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Maybe in the 25th century they're phase-ins - they're kept in transporter stasis until you need them.
That's exactly how they explained it away in Elite Force.

It's the new Bag of Holding.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-22-2010, 02:57 AM
it would be a cool addition sometime..
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-22-2010, 03:03 AM
I too hate seeing small arms appear and disappear.

I would love to see my characters and bridge officers holster their pistols and sling their rifles.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-22-2010, 04:02 AM
how about ship jumping into hyperspace, was done in the tholian web...hmmm
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-22-2010, 04:14 AM
As far as having two sets of dual phasers/disruptors goes, did it occur to you that you can carry two on your hips, and then two on shoulder holsters?
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-22-2010, 07:11 AM
Well that is an issue that bugged me since release.

Also, I do not **** that we have no visible Weapons and Equipment (like Tricorders) AT ALL.
In the Series, when they expectet to get involved in Combat the Crew always was visibly armed, at last in later Trek (Ds9, Voy, TNG Movies).

I suggestet a while ago to make at last sidearms part of the Costume (Could be nice to add the "fitting" weapon to each C-Store Costume; TOS Phasers for TOS uniforms, Ent Phase-Pistols for Ent-Uniform ect ect ect)

However, speaking of Holstering the weapons we really use, the "problem" with the diffrent holstered weapons (2 Rifles or 2 Dual Pistols=4 Pistols) can be easyly solved by just showing the ACTUALLY USED (active slot) weapon. And there can be other ways arround that.

By the way I'd love to see customisable Ground weapons, too.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-22-2010, 09:53 AM
They had a hard enough time getting one character to sit in one chair. Do you really want them to try and make it possible to holster 60 different weapons on 5 characters, one of which has two sets? I'll suspend disbelief on this point in favor of more content.