Lt. Commander
# 1 A Question About Waypoints
12-21-2010, 07:24 AM
In 'Kill Enemies' and 'Reach Marker' boxes I see a field labeled 'Waypoints'. You can set it for None or Automatic.

From other games I've played, Waypoints are used to determine paths, such as for flight missions. I am not sure what they are used for in STO. What is the function of the Waypoints field, and what does the 'Automatic' setting do?

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosvik View Post
...From other games I've played, Waypoints are used to determine paths, such as for flight missions. I am not sure what they are used for in STO. What is the function of the Waypoints field, and what does the 'Automatic' setting do?
In STO, waypoints are basically circles on the mini-map (and map) that point the player to where the objectives are.

I'm guessing that the automatic setting allows STO to figure out the most effective circle to show the player. In essence, if there are three mission objectives, lumped in a [Complete All] box, that are spread out from one another, if you set all of their waypoint flag to automatic, you'll see one bigger circle instead of 3 separate smaller circles if we had a "Show One" setting that is.

The short short version, you use waypoint to direct the player's progress through the map and each waypoint must be set to automatic or else it doesn't even show on the map.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-21-2010, 07:32 AM
You know how in most of the Cryptic missions when you have an objective, that objective will have a white cirlce around it on the minimap?

That is a waypoint. Putting on Automatic ensures that waypoint will show up on the mini-map when you get to that objective. Having set to None means there will be no marker...this would be for cases where you want the player to find something on his own.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-21-2010, 04:04 PM
LordOfPit covered it for you! They're the circles on the map and minimap.
Ensign
# 5
07-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Hey guys,
I have a few questions concerning waypoints

How do you set waypoints in space?
How do you remove waypoints in space?

and same questions for Ground how to set and remove?

as for setting im pretty sure i figured that out on the ground, open map and double click on the place you want to set the marker.
i can't for the life of me figure out how to remove it.

Also in space, is there a way to ping the map to grab your team's attention to a certain spot on the map, like in Supreme commander or world of War-craft?

Edit:
Sorry for Necroing the thread,
also why is War-craft being astricked out?
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
07-23-2012, 12:09 AM
This is quite an old thread.

The date of the last post appart from yours was way back in 2010.

You should have started a new thread,

Anyway....

To answer your question.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

Do you want a player (as an objective) to go to a location? Do you want an NPC to follow a certain path? Or do yo want to add/remove Nav beacons from maps?

I will answer all three.

1st

Put a place marker on a map. It doesn't matter if it's space or ground. Drag the Reach objective into your story tab and set the marker to the place marker you just set.

Changing 'Waypoint' from Automatic (default) to None in the story tab will remove any map indicator of where the objective is located.

2nd

This is currently impossible to do.

3rd

If the Nav Beacon is part of the map template, then the beacon can not be removed.However yo can place your own beacons. That flash. by placing Nav Beacon (with FX and/or Icon) on the map. Removing these objects is simple.

Once again please don't Necro old threads - create new threads.