Lt. Commander
I played a mission today in which an object supposedly exploded. Sadly, this isnt possible with the current mechanics of the Foundry, so the author decided to do a make transition and then simply say it happened. However, without getting into the specifics, let me just say it just felt wrong(to me). Its obviously not the author's fault the Foundry didnt allow them to do this, but it begs the question of whether or not certain story elements should be "forced" if they cant really be done. Has anyone else ever had similiar experiences, and if so what are your thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I played a mission today in which an object supposedly exploded. Sadly, this isnt possible with the current mechanics of the Foundry, so the author decided to do a make transition and then simply say it happened. However, without getting into the specifics, let me just say it just felt wrong(to me). Its obviously not the author's fault the Foundry didnt allow them to do this, but it begs the question of whether or not certain story elements should be "forced" if they cant really be done. Has anyone else ever had similiar experiences, and if so what are your thoughts?
Yeah, I've played some missions where the author tried to force things that couldn't be done.

---------------

In personal experience, in my mission you're meant to shut down a forcefield and release a prison held captive, but as that can't be visually represented, I made that the final objective, so that when you click to lower the forcefield your boff pops up and says "It's slowly coming down now. You can all beam back to the ship" and then you click ok and the next scene you're on the ship, after the forcefield went down.

I think that transition worked ok.

Anything that I could definitely not accomplish, I just dropped the idea completely. Cut it out. What I ended up with was much better as a result. So I found that instead of putting in something that doesn't work just for the sake of my ideas, it was more effective to workaround or adapt or be more flexible.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Quote:
I played a mission today in which an object supposedly exploded.
I made a mission where an object is supposed to explode and managed to make that sequence without forcing a map transition...

To be honest, I see nothing wrong in telling us an event happened and transporting us to another map to cover for it. It doesn't necessarily mean I'll use that technique, but as long as the author is aware they may lose points for it, and as long as the author is willing to add the proper effect later on, if and when that effect is possible, I'll enjoy the mission for what it is.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-21-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm doing a mission now where you travel to the Gamma Quadrant through the wormhole at DS9. A few aspects I wanted to see if I could hit on with what I have.

1. Docking at a pylon on DS9 - I made this happen by placing a mark reached right at the end of a pylon then emmediatly had a DS9 person tell me I was clear. Paraphrasing there. What the player does after you arrive in DS9 space, is get a message syaing you are clear to procede to docking pylon 2. You know where to go because it's on the map and all the other pylons have ships on them already. Just go to thr point marked and then you have docked.

2. Entering through the wormhole - This was hard but I made it work by placing a blinking sattelite near the event horizon. You interact with that while the wormhole is open and thenn transfer to another map. In effect you enetered the wormhole.

3. Talking BO's while in warp - I read this somewhere on here and had the idea in my head. I had to wait till it was appropriate to use. I am using a blank custom map with a hole lot of the streaking star affects. My plan is to have you travel through that while egaging in dialogue with your BO's.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislove View Post
I'm doing a mission now where you travel to the Gamma Quadrant through the wormhole at DS9. A few aspects I wanted to see if I could hit on with what I have.

1. Docking at a pylon on DS9 - I made this happen by placing a mark reached right at the end of a pylon then emmediatly had a DS9 person tell me I was clear. Paraphrasing there. What the player does after you arrive in DS9 space, is get a message syaing you are clear to procede to docking pylon 2. You know where to go because it's on the map and all the other pylons have ships on them already. Just go to thr point marked and then you have docked.

2. Entering through the wormhole - This was hard but I made it work by placing a blinking sattelite near the event horizon. You interact with that while the wormhole is open and thenn transfer to another map. In effect you enetered the wormhole.

3. Talking BO's while in warp - I read this somewhere on here and had the idea in my head. I had to wait till it was appropriate to use. I am using a blank custom map with a hole lot of the streaking star affects. My plan is to have you travel through that while egaging in dialogue with your BO's.
IDK about your last one, but it seems like your first 2 would have been more easily done with simple reach markers located at the station and wormhole.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-21-2010, 01:16 PM
I can make it work

Look for it on the episode titled "The Q Ultimatum".

Release date between now and Dec 31
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-21-2010, 01:29 PM
Talking to your Bridge Officers while traveling can also be done if you use markers, or fake-timers, to pop up dialogs at the "right" time. You simply have to take into account that players may be moving still while reading your dialogs.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-21-2010, 05:49 PM
I played one where you were knocked back during the explosion (interact with object and knockdown animation) and it did a map transfer to simulate blacking out.

It actually felt well done.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I played one where you were knocked back during the explosion (interact with object and knockdown animation) and it did a map transfer to simulate blacking out.

It actually felt well done.
That I could see; especially the blacking out part. However, without naming the mission I played, I'll just say that the explosion and its effects were so supposedly so significant that it felt pretty anti-climatic.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Quote:
That I could see; especially the blacking out part. However, without naming the mission I played, I'll just say that the explosion and its effects were so supposedly so significant that it felt pretty anti-climatic.
Hmm, come to think of it, now I remember playing one where the transwarp gate is going to blow up and supposedly your ship has to block it from destroying a planet but instead you zone into a parallel universe... it sort of stretched my believeability factor, but the mission was fun anyway.