Lt. Commander
# 1 Mercenary BOs
12-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I've tossed the idea out a few times but I wanted to formally suggest that certain exotic bridge officer race/faction combos be added as mercenary BOs we can pick up.

My core idea is this:

- You buy them for GPL.

- They wear the C-Store mercenary costume set, possibly plus racial costume options.

- They come in races which we have seen examples of mercenaries from in the shows and in the game. My suggested list so far:

Bajoran
Breen
Cardassian
Ferengi
Human
Klingon
Nausicaan
Orion
Reman
Rogue Borg

Obviously, price would vary. I'd be inclined to suggest making Humans and Klingons more expensive from a design standpoint and making Rogue Borg expensive as well, to preserve the integrity of the C-Store and STF Borg and also because I think they'd be highly desirable. Orions and Ferengi might be the most available, overall.

- KDF and Starfleet versions are available.

- If you want an alt of a "wrong faction" NPC, this is the "go to" way to do it. You buy the bridge officer and use the upcoming crew system to make them into an alt. This requires work and it also makes a degree of lore sense, I think, as certain faction/race combos might be rare but you can build a story around it this way by having them fight for your side as a merc and then work their way up.

- Perhaps a term other than mercenary is used Federation side. Like "Consultant." It's still basically a merc, though.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Not a bad idea. I think the rogue Borg might have to be limited in their racial traits, not just expensive. It seems to me that, given the fact that some borg pieces have appeared available to non-Borg species, their uniqueness is more about traits than appearance.

I would prefer something like this be implemented along with race specific dialog, but implementing it by itself would be cool (race specific dialogue more for Klingon side - not everyone is all about glory to the empire, eh?).
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-21-2010, 01:19 PM
*shivers*

As people who bothered to read my previous rants on this subject may already guess, I dislike the idea of completely removing the style barrier between the factions.

Matter of opinion, of course. I know many Starfleet Captains can't wait for the opportunity to fill their entire ship with Orion chicks, the setting be damned. I for one prefer uniqueness, however, and this happens to include racial allegiances, clothing limitations and ship/equipment restrictions. The FDC BO's are already just plain wrong, but I see no need to continue further down this path of playing against the background fluff.

PS: Orions actually have a really big dislike for the Federation for messing with their idea of "trade" for centuries. And Nausicaans in Starfleet ... ehhh if you're going that far you can straightly call them mercenaries, for there's no point in trying to even pretend that Starfleet Command still has any regulations on what its captains do.

Customized paint jobs, bridge bunnies, Terran Empire uniforms, replica museum ships, plasma guns ... and now mercenaries. Well, I guess you could say that it's a lost cause anyways.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
*shivers*

As people who bothered to read my previous rants on this subject may already guess, I dislike the idea of completely removing the style barrier between the factions.

Matter of opinion, of course. I know many Starfleet Captains can't wait for the opportunity to fill their entire ship with Orion chicks, the setting be damned. I for one prefer uniqueness, however, and this happens to include racial allegiances, clothing limitations and ship/equipment restrictions. The FDC BO's are already just plain wrong, but I see no need to continue further down this path of playing against the background fluff.

PS: Orions actually have a really big dislike for the Federation for messing with their idea of "trade" for centuries. And Nausicaans in Starfleet ... ehhh if you're going that far you can straightly call them mercenaries, for there's no point in trying to even pretend that Starfleet Command still has any regulations on what its captains do.

Customized paint jobs, bridge bunnies, Terran Empire uniforms, replica museum ships, plasma guns ... and now mercenaries. Well, I guess you could say that it's a lost cause anyways.
/QFT

Where is the line drawn? When does it cease being a Star Trek game and become a game with a poorly researched Star Trek mod?
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
/QFT

Where is the line drawn? When does it cease being a Star Trek game and become a game with a poorly researched Star Trek mod?
When it caters too much to the fandom "cool" factor and start to rely less and less on good storyline and genre important points of information to keep the player interested?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Orions actually have a really big dislike for the Federation for messing with their idea of "trade" for centuries. And Nausicaans in Starfleet ... ehhh if you're going that far you can straightly call them mercenaries, for there's no point in trying to even pretend that Starfleet Command still has any regulations on what its captains do.
I suppose I shouldn't bother to ask what you thought of Gaila's appearance in Star Trek (2009)?

Yeah. Nevermind. Forget I said anything.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
When it caters too much to the fandom "cool" factor and start to rely less and less on good storyline and genre important points of information to keep the player interested?
Doesn't that make too much sense? Why are the answers all questions?
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonium View Post
I suppose I shouldn't bother to ask what you thought of Gaila's appearance in Star Trek (2009)?
Oh, the "escaped slavegirl"? Just goes to show how little the creators of said movie knew about Orions. Or Star Trek in general.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gaila_%...%29#Background

"... an underground railroad that sells Orion slave girls into freedom."

Then again, I've seen quite a number of roleplayers who got that wrong, too.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but I would like to see them start by giving our BOs the ability to wear the mercenary outfits.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Mercenaries? i got dibs on Boba Fett!