Lt. Commander
# 21
12-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
And the question I would ask is why, after 726 episodes and 11 movies, should the game not also be focused on that? There are plenty of other generic SF games out there that can let me play a mercenary, or miner, or merchant, or whatever. Why genericise ST when I just go and play Eve or AO or SWG? Honestly it just seems like everyone is just trying to take the Trek out of Star Trek.
I think that with the idea of a mini-faction, the focus would remain intact - and the faction would not require as much developer attention than a full faction such as the Romulans.

Not that I did not come to the same conclusions concerning your thoughts about what people want. But I'd rather look for a middle ground that would make everyone happy rather than risking further "pollution" to the big factions - especially since Cryptic seems all too willing to "open them up" even further (exchange officers, vulcan/andorian ships, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
It's funny because I thought making the Klingon Empire less of a Klingons-only club, through whatever means, was a huge improvement this game made.
Preferences.

In my opinion, being an "race X only" club was one of the defining aspects of the Klingon Empire. It was the Federation who was big about working with other species and cultures. So why replicate this idea on -both- factions when you can just as well use this difference to further define them?

Not that I particularly dislike the current "alliance". I guess I've grown used to it, and who doesn't like smexy Orions or cool Gorn? Still, it wasn't necessary and I fear that too many species will destroy the KDF's look. It's already a bit ridiculous, considering that the Klingons are supposed to be oh-so-xenophobic right now. And with the drastic shortage on non-Klingon KDF ships, it really boils down to little more than avatar skins.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Not that I did not come to the same conclusions concerning your thoughts about what people want. But I'd rather look for a middle ground that would make everyone happy rather than risking further "pollution" to the big factions - especially since Cryptic seems all too willing to "open them up" even further (exchange officers, vulcan/andorian ships, etc).
I would rather have sub-faction ships I have seen used in canon then new character types/factions that I haven't.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
I would rather have sub-faction ships I have seen used in canon then new character types/factions that I haven't.
Mhmm... But you have seen these character types and factions - they've shown up in each and every series of Trek so far, and as NPCs in STO. As long as you don't make them too "visible" (importance & presence) I see no problem in them being played as neutrals. Imo, they're far less "invasive" than non-Starfleet ships doing Starfleet work.

It's always better to add to something rather than break it.