Lt. Commander
# 21
12-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck
And story is usually what attracts me to an MMO.
Funny - I feel the same, and that's why I was driven away from WoW.

The setting had so much potential. A racist but honorable Alliance, barbaric orcs trying to become civilized, arcane magic corrupting people, evil elves addicted to demonic energy, witch hunts against warlocks and necromancers, religious zealots doing wrong things for the right reasons, political tension between two Human splinter-states ...

And then the fluff was gradually turned from being a believable world with many shades of grey into a motley candyland of black-vs-white, where no one seems to care that your holy hero hangs around with undead and demon cultists, or that the furries who used to eat people a year ago are now suddenly welcome in the midst of the capital city, or that both elven factions turn more and more into "humans with long ears" instead of preserving their distinctive cultural features. And why?

Because of "fun". Because the majority of players doesn't care for the story, they just think it's lulzy that they can now play a "holy cow" or a gnome priest, regardless of the cultural backgrounds being utterly incompatible with such professions. It's the typical MMO illness, though, and one that seems to blossom in STO as well. A coherent setting gets ripped apart because too many players want too many things and do not care how well it fits in with the rest.

RIP, Azeroth.

</rant>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
Now we will discuss the location of your secret base.
I see Cappie brought her favorite toy along ...
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias

Ack the secret is out! Black was the fashion back then and I was experimenting with some pretty bad stuff.

I regret nothing. Damn you George! You said if you changed the gender they would never know!
Lt. Commander
# 23
03-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck
You can bash WoW all you want, but I think Cataclysm was a tremendous step in the right direction for WoW. The new quests (in new zones as well as revamped old world zones) are more story-oriented, and give you the feeling that you're actually affecting the world. And story is usually what attracts me to an MMO. (That, and the ability to play a short race.)

I'm not going to stand here and say that WoW is better or that STO sucks, though. They're different games. Both of them do things correctly, and both of them do things incorrectly.
Cataclysm is a step in the right direction, right near Lord of the Rings Online That game is all about story and lore. AND you can play a hobbit or dwarf!

But WoW's community and focus on gear ratings makes me cry.
Lt. Commander
# 24
03-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valias
Funny - I feel the same, and that's why I was driven away from WoW.

The setting had so much potential. A racist but honorable Alliance, barbaric orcs trying to become civilized, arcane magic corrupting people, evil elves addicted to demonic energy, witch hunts against warlocks and necromancers, religious zealots doing wrong things for the right reasons, political tension between two Human splinter-states ...

And then the fluff was gradually turned from being a believable world with many shades of grey into a motley candyland of black-vs-white, where no one seems to care that your holy hero hangs around with undead and demon cultists, or that the furries who used to eat people a year ago are now suddenly welcome in the midst of the capital city, or that both elven factions turn more and more into "humans with long ears" instead of preserving their distinctive cultural features. And why?

Because of "fun". Because the majority of players doesn't care for the story, they just think it's lulzy that they can now play a "holy cow" or a gnome priest, regardless of the cultural backgrounds being utterly incompatible with such professions. It's the typical MMO illness, though, and one that seems to blossom in STO as well. A coherent setting gets ripped apart because too many players want too many things and do not care how well it fits in with the rest.

RIP, Azeroth.

</rant>

"Holy Cow"..... *snerk*
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-04-2011, 07:37 AM
I have only played WoW for a month + the 10 day trial and I really liked it.

http://otakuboyt.com/wow

I make a rule that I only play P2P MMOs in winter so I will go back in winter. Since I'm a lifer I count STO as a casual F2P MMO.

I don't understand the hate, I really liked the story and the guild I am in. I wish they offered a lifetime option.
Lt. Commander
# 26
03-04-2011, 07:50 AM
funny thing is i did eventually decide to check cataclysm out, mostly through curiosity and the fact i got a free 10 day trial on it, and whilst the game looked very impressive and was slightly easier to level up, i still only played it for two days and got bored.

its getting better and many of the things i hated are being improved but just not enough to make me want to play it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
03-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
its getting better and many of the things i hated are being improved but just not enough to make me want to play it.
Blizzard could not pay me enough to play WoW ever again. They could offer me 1 million dollars and I would not do it. They could send me on a tropical paradise vacation with the entire Sports Illustrated Swimsuit and Victoria's Secret lineup for a month and I still would not play their game. I would rather stab myself in the eye with a pencil than play that craptacular game ever again. That is how much I dislike WoW.
Lt. Commander
# 28
03-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archanubis
Hmm, this reminds me of a certain experiment from the 1950s...
I was thinking Jack Bauer with a Lamp Chord and sponge from Season 3 or 4 (I forget which) to the guy who plays "Chess" on "The Cape" right now
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavenji View Post
But WoW's community and focus on gear ratings makes me cry.
It's why I avoid the forums - any WoW related forums - like the plague unless absolutely necessary.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
Blizzard could not pay me enough to play WoW ever again. They could offer me 1 million dollars and I would not do it.
If you get that offer send it my way TYVM ^_^